Blue-screen explosion composite... what do ya think?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ben-Kushaan_Exile, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. DarthMoves Jedi Master

star 2
    That looks damn good. I am impressed....

Final Effects is a great plugin. I have a roto mask question. Did you do that because you had no bluescreen? How close did you zoom in on the footage and how long did it take? Did you nest layers of the mask?

Sorry about the questions, but I am on a quest for KNOWLEGDE!
  2. Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Knight

star 3
    1. Thanks!

2. I have a bluescreen, but not one big enough with a pole that I could jump onto.

3. To rotomask it this is what I did:

-I imported the footage.
    -Zoomed in to between 400-800%.
    -Then I started a seperate mask for each part of my body. For example, one for my head, one for each arm and one for each leg.
    -It took me 2 days to rotomask 1 sec and 24 frames of footage.
    -Then I took my mask and applied all of them to a white solid over a black background to make a matte.
    -Then I rendered it and re-imported it to do a little clean up on it, curving edges, blurring, etc.

4. I have no idea what nesting layers of the mask means.

Here is a link to a frame of the original footage. (I had originally planned to difference matte it using footage with me not there and taking a matte from that, but it didn't work well.):

http://65.108.218.55/benjump.jpg

It's pretty bad quality b/c of being Digital8 and not very well encoded.

EDIT: To DVDJ:

Laymen's terms:

I took the footage with no background and exported it as a targa sequence. This means that it includes all channels Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha. The Alpha channel tells the footage if and where there is or is not a background. So b/c I took out the background, the footage still knows that there is no background, just me. After being reimported, this footage can be placed on top of a background (similar to when you color key) and can be moved, rotated, and keyed.

I don't really know how to put that simply, if anyone can help make this simple, please jump in at any time.
  3. Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have a new version up... it's not too much different, but it offers a little more detail. Remember that I'm not the CG artist for my film, I just work on general effects, compositing, and rotoscoping. Well, enough of my meaningless babble, here's the link.

http://65.108.218.55/explosion_comp_full.mov
  4. Gardulo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Very Nice
    Very Nice Indeed
    That background makes a big differrence
  5. JediDrew Jedi Master

star 4
    see, this is the type of thing i need to do for my movie but don't know how....the backround compared to your actor is huge, is all that bluescreen? Is must be a HUGE bluescreen!!!! or is there a way to make the actor smaller in the video? i do't know...what did u do?
  6. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    HA HA!! HELL YES!!!!! Just add some textures to those buildings and speeder. Also add debris from your speeder. And I need to write that tutorial on compositing explosions. In real life you cannot see through explosions. I have came up with a technique that will allow to do "bluescreening." Except on the black background the explosion was shot on. Is anyone interested in such a tutorial?
  7. Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually all of the explosions I have came with mattes, but when I use the mattes it detracts from the color and makes the explosions not as vibrant.

JediDrew: No, the actor was not bluescreened, it was actually rotomasked. If you check up a few posts I have a link to what the original footage looked like.

And, yes you can resize and actor in video. In AE just right-click on the footage of the bluescreened/rotomasked actor and go to TRANSFORM -> SCALE and you can change the scale of the object... I resized the actor to 65% of the original size to achieve this shot.
  8. JediDrew Jedi Master

star 4
    That is GREAT INFORMATION!!! only problem is i don't have AE, I have Ulead mediastudio pro, but i think i may be able to figure out how to do it, but if anyone can help me, it wll be most appreciated
  9. jedi_slayer Jedi Master

star 2
    My on2 codec is messed...yes i have tried everything. I want to see this test to see what this guy has created. Can somone please convert it to sorenson or .avi?
    Thank you.
    >>Garrett
  10. Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm rendering a Sorenson3 version right now... gimme a lil while to finished rendering.

http://65.108.218.55/explosion_comp_sor3.mov

Sorenson3 Version - 1.3 Megs
  11. Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Knight

star 3
    ::Bump:: New Sorenson3 Link Above
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.