main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue Screen on After Effects

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF

TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2004
    well the subject is pretty much my question, how do you do a blue screen in after efects, i can do it in premier but its easier to add some explosions i have and size them better in after effects but i need to know how to bluescreen for some of the shots

2. Lightsaber_Style8675

Lightsaber_Style8675 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2003
    go Effect> keying> colour key

3. SobiWan

SobiWan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2001
    If your keying doesnt work 100%, you may need to add some other techniques such as "matte choking" or hand painting the matte on each frame. Ask me how I know. :)

4. TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF

TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2004
    Thank yall, i got it to look pretty good with just the keying still a little blue glow which feathering helped some but ima try the 2nd methods... and as requested by sobiwan ''how do you know?''

5. spoil_me_w-ep3

spoil_me_w-ep3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2003
    the best bet for easy multi-pass keying is the color range (right near the color key option)

the normal eyedropper is to select your major color shade to remove (which you select on the little B&W window)then click around with the eyedropper with a plus next to it on the area you want to remove.

the eyedropper with a negative sign is supposed to add back any area that you have accidentally keyed out. i find that it doesnt work too well (unless you've messed up a LOT and you don't want to start over)

enjoy.

6. SobiWan

Apr 26, 2001
    It was a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway: cuz I've been there!

7. SobiWan

Apr 26, 2001
    I recently took the challenge to learn how to make good masks in AE6Pro. After using the standard key tools, I tried the Keylight plugin. Wow! What a great tool. It does multiple passes at keying, edge correction, color suppression.. the works.

I started with some low res, high artifact bluescreen footage and was still able to get a decent key. However, I did employ rotoscope masking on certain parts to get a good edge because I was too impatient to see if I could tweak it all in Keylight.

My point is if I could get a decent key with bad bluescreen footage, I can only imagine (and will soon find out) what it can do with good footage.

8. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm, willing to bet you couldn't pull a decent key on my crappy footage I threw together last night. Not without rotoing the entire thing anyway.

Maybe I'll put up a screen shot. Belive me though, I'm going to make a better screen soon.

9. SobiWan

Apr 26, 2001
    Actually, the source footage I was referring to was the leaked EP3 marketing footage, but I will try your footage too if you like. :)

10. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Alrighty, I'll post a screenshot later. Prepare to be disgusted...

11. SobiWan

Apr 26, 2001
    Here is an intermediate composition that I am working on in AE6Pro. It is not to my satisfaction and I would like feedback on what to do. First, the pic:

[image=http://home.comcast.net/~hardyslicer/help-mask-obi-and-ani.jpg]

I've labeled the areas of interest as:
    • O1 - Obi-Wan final comp

• O2 - Obi-Wan mask

• O3 - Obi-Wan raw footage

and
    • A1 - Anakin final comp

• A2 - Anakin mask

• A3 - Anakin raw footage

The final comp for Obi-Wan (O1) shows a clean edge around his head and shoulders, as is revealed in in the mask (02), but this is due to an animated mask (03). The rest of the mask (O2) shows a dirty edge due to the keying... and that is after using ALL the params in the keyer (Keylight) to its fullest potential.

I tried many other combinations such as choking, softening the edge, clipping white and black, etc and this was the most satisfactory. It reveals the MOST of the keyed subject. The other techniques made halo edges, lost key subject edges, holes, etc.

My question is: due to the artifacts and low res of (O3), is it likely to get a good key? Based on my experience so far, I dont think it is and will have to rotoscope as in (O2), but am presenting this dilemna to see if anyone can suggest otherwise.

Now, for Anakin.... as is evident in (A1) and (A2), the keyer has removed MORE of his blurred arm than necessary. The raw footage (A3) reveals the blur is mired with a deep blue tone underneath and artifacts, causing the keyer to remove it.

Anakin's arm is also an animated mask (A2) with motion blur enabled. I am using a mask to compensate for Keylight's (understandable) inability to properly key his arm, but it isnt quite working out.

I think I may have to roto Ani too and use a seperate motion blurred mask for his arm, but again, if anyone can suggest otherwise, please let me know. Thanks.

12. SobiWan

Apr 26, 2001
    5 hours later, bumped off the main page with no responses. I know how to take care of that...

*bump*

13. SobiWan

Apr 26, 2001
    Wow... either no one knows or no one cares. :)

I tried a difference matte, but that bombed pretty quickly - edges were worse. Rotoscoping is giving me the cleanest edges, but at the cost of time. Good thing this is low res because I am not getting semi-trans edges like hair.

I'm still open to ideas...

14. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I'd think that garbage matting the artifacting would take care of a bunch of the problems. Otherwise, some lightwrap would help with many of the dirty edges.

15. SobiWan

Apr 26, 2001
    I moved onto another source pic that was cleaner than the Obi/Ani fight so I could focus on understanding keying rather than fighting low res compression artifacts, but I still into problems. However, after finding the After Effects Inner Outer Key tutorial, I am certain to prevail! Witness the result!

[image=http://home.comcast.net/~hardyslicer/morpheus01.jpg]

I know - its Matrix, not Star Wars, but the concept is still the same. I preserved the compression artifacts from the source images because the alternative was choking or softening the matte edges, both which looked worse! It either cutoff some of the edge detail or had a dark matte line. Now I have neither! Look at the relatively nice edges, especially on the face:

[image=http://home.comcast.net/~hardyslicer/morpheus02.jpg]

I'm gunna get back to the SW stuff now. "I feel like I can take on the whole Empire myself!"

16. dvcameraworld

dvcameraworld Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    hi guys, I have adobes after effects 6 pro with the keylight plugin. Ive decided to use combustion 3 instead. so if any of you guys are interested email me at dvcameraworld@yahoo.com , im not sure how much I want for it but its been registered so $400us may sound like a good price but I am open to a sugested price. if you are interested contact me, shipping will be free cause it isnt that heavey to send threw the post.

17. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    That would be illegal.

And just so we're all on the same page here, why would I pay $400 dollars for an already-registered piece of ILLEGAL software when I could just download it myself - just as illegally - for free? Sorry, man, I can get this thrill for less.

And don't talk about warez here, please. :D

Oh, and it's spelled T-H-R-O-U-G-H, not THREW. If you're going to make yourself look like a moron by posting the same illegal pre-typed post, make sure to check your spelling first. Moron.

18. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    If his copy was obtained legally there's no problem with him selling it.

19. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    And I'm sure hes very reputable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.