main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue to Green: Luke's choice and evolution of Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ObiJuanQuito, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sepharih

sepharih Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2005
    First I'm a fan of it being Qui-gon's crystal. Now as for the color itself, here are my ideas I posted on another thread:

When it comes to luke's saber here is how I view it. In ESB and ANH he is not only using the same color lightsaber, he is using the same lightsaber which his father uses. The point is, in Episodes 4 and 5 he is, in his mind, following in his father's footsteps, depending on the strength of his father to see him through. After the events of ESB, the loss of his lightsaber represents the loss of the memory of his father's strength as well as his innocence. Even if Luke isn't 100% whether or not Vader is his father, he has already by the events of ROTJ realized that he can no longer depend on the spirit of his father to see him through the end. In the end, he will have to depend on his own strength, and he will have to walk alone. So while the change of color is actually more technical than anything else(blue didn't show up good against the tatooine desert) the change of color is also too show how his view on life has changed. And, if your a fan of Kotor like I am, he is following the path of the consular and he has become more diplomatic(his attempt to reach a deal with Jabba that might have also established Jabba as an ally) and more empathic(his ability to sense the conflict in Vader).

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ I like those ideas, very well thought out.

However, it is NOT Qui Jon's crystal.

3. DarthJebediah

DarthJebediah Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweet Jesus, that was perfectly said, Ogmios! =D=

4. ztn

ztn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    I've never given it much thought but the technical reason sounds the best. People look into these things too much. Back when they were filming ROTJ, I doubt any of these mysterious complex reasons even existed in anyone's mind.

Many of the things that people delve into on these forums have simple answers that lie in reality in human minds right here on earth and for some boringly simple reasons...like filming a light blue saber against a desert background with limited technical capabilities available.

5. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    I wish they'd kept it blue. I always liked his blue-bladed saber better.

6. saberlord99

saberlord99 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 9, 2002
    Obviously you are new to the boards, this is what we do, make things really complex and argue over simple things. Such as what was the exact chemical makeup of the liquid containing the nala tree frogs Jabba the Hutt eats in ROTJ?

7. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005
    mmm, i like Qui Gonn theory...
    Not bad

8. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Luke knew he'd eventually go to Endor and thought a green saber would not be so conspicuous in the forest....

9. bloodbrother23

bloodbrother23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    I always thought it was a type of symbolism in terms of accomplishment. Ever since I first saw the OT back in 1995 at the age of six I had always thought thatthe color of the blade marked a Jedi's level of accomplishment. and it has evolved to a point of my liking, but only for the personal stories of the Jedi we see (i.e. main characters) which means excluding all the Jedi in the arena battle.

I always thought the green blade symbolized a true JEdi who no longer was an Apprentice, such as a learner always had a blue blade, and their teacher had a green blade. Now this would make sense for Luke, having become a Knight by ROTJ and gaining the Green Blade as Qui-Gon and Yoda each had, who both had green blades themselves as accomplished Jedi.

Now this theory got rattled in Ep. 2, as I thought Obi-Wan would have Qui-Gon's saber still to honor his master, but now it makes some sense to me, as Obi-Wan never truly finished his training, so he kept the blue blade as a type of "mark" upon him. Now, in a technicallity it would also make sense for him to have a blue blade for ANH, as he is a learner under Qui-gon once again.

But that was always something I had thought since I was a child, the master has a green blade, and the the learners blue, but this is just a theory, "no more, no less."

10. Qui-GonSolo

Qui-GonSolo Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    I'd say that for filming reasons, the blue saber wouldn't show up very well is the desert as a green one would.

But for movie and story reasons I'd say it's green to show that Luke is changing is a more powerful jedi. He's not just some jedi wanna-be anymore. He's becoming a real jedi.

11. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I think that I read somewhere that Luke picked them up at Toshee Station.

I seem to remember that the guy that sold them to him said something like...

Guy: Isn't your name Luke Skywalker?

Luke: No, I'm not the one you are looking for.

Guy: You look like the kid that ordered those high priced "power converters."

Luke: No, not me, I'm not the one you're looking for. (Waves his hand)

12. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    I've never heard of that before. I think it says in Shadows of the Empire that Luke made the crystals in Ben's hut, and that he constructed his lightsaber in there, too.

13. DarthSerta

DarthSerta Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I think that green was chosen because it is the color of hope ( for example in national flags) and Luke is the galaxy new and last hope.The only thing that is not original in his lightsaber it´s the hilt , not for some homage to OB1 but because Luke didn´t know how to built one.

14. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I believe EU is considered Official until refuted by the movies, ergo, SOTE is canon in regards to Luke making a synthetic green crystal. Furthermore, (all technical filming mumbo jumbo aside) the green color was a fluke. Luke made it not knowing what to expect. He finally made one that didn't break, put it in his saber, and all of a sudden, he had a green saber.

15. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    While the theory of Luke honoring his masters with his 'saber is interesting, it doesn't fly with me. Yoda lost his 'saber before Luke was even born, for one thing, and Yoda didn't have a 'saber on Dagobah, for another. This makes me wonder how Luke would have known Yoda's 'saber was green; makes me wonder if Luke even thought Yoda ever used a 'saber, which is what, I think, many of us thought before the PT came out and showed us Yoda using a 'saber.

Where Luke got the crystal is irrelevant to me, but I do like the idea of him using Qui-Gon's, if Obi-Wan had kept QG's 'saber. I believe, however, it is said to some effect in the novelization of ROTJ that Luke created his 'saber from scratch, using material lying around in Ben's hut.

FWIW

16. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, if it was just lying around Ben's hut, then it could've been Qui-Gon's, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.