main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue versus Blue Duel

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by E CHU TA!, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E CHU TA!

E CHU TA! Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2000
    [image=http://mankrah.com/djc/2_18.jpg][image=http://www.jedi-academy.com/film/the_gift.jpg]

[image=http://www.dougie-doright.com/ana1.jpg] [image=http://mankrah.com/djc/2_23_2.jpg]

;)

EDIT: Can someone please do a vidcap of Obi-wan's saber.

DOUBLE EDIT:

not to mention visually unappealing.

I disagree:

[image=http://www.mikedingleyjones.btinternet.co.uk/ep3_roto.gif]

(Thanks, odj_310388!)

2. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I hope its a red and blue verses blue duel but with Anakin actually giving Obi Wan a really hard time and not being defeated as easily as he was with Dooku.

3. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Great work on the vidcap E CHU TA!! I love it. Is that from the summit video that someone added CG effects to?

I love it that it sparks RED when the sabers colide. We've never seen a Blue vs Blue duel, so who's to say that when they colide that there isn't a red spark. That would be great and it would visually create the tension of "With that much passion in a fight, who is going to the dark side".

4. E CHU TA!

Jan 8, 2000
    Sorry SAND-CRAWLER, I can?t take credit for the images. The vidacps are by DJC-Grendizer and the gif is by odj_310388. I agree that they are both well made.

5. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Shoot, that little .gif is sweet!

Josh

6. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Hey! E CHU TA! what you doing using my .gif? :p

7. ogilbyb

ogilbyb Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Well I think Anakin using red and blue lightsabers is simbolic in that Anakins wrestling with the light and dark side during his duel with Obi Wan and wrestling with putting Anakin behind him. When Anakin drops his blue lightsaber (and Obi Wan collects it) Anakin will only have the red one in his hands falling into the lava indicating that he is indeed Darth Vader and indeed with the Dark Side and hes put the identity of Anakin Skywalker behind him. Very simbolic.

8. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I've just seen odj_310388's Gif with added Lightsabre sound effects and... [face_shocked] :cool:

9. E CHU TA!

Jan 8, 2000
    If you make any more gifs of that quality odj_310388, I guarantee that I?ll ?use? everyone of them. :D

10. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    If you make any more gifs of that quality odj_310388, I guarantee that I?ll ?use? everyone of them.

:mad: :p Well I'm currently trying to get together all of the bluescreen and greenscreen clips from that behind the scenes thing, its going to be just short of 35 secs long. (hopefully)

11. Invictus_Sol

Invictus_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2003
    It makes little sense to me that Anakin would continue using a blue saber even after leading the attack on the Jedi Temple (i.e. the point of no return). Lucas has always been very clear regarding saber colours. Isn't that part of the reason why Tyranus' dual lightsaber usage was cut from AOTC (he used one blue and one red, IIRC).

12. Golic

Golic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    That's exactly what I thought! Why would they cut out such a great thing such as Dooku taking on Yoda with two sabers? Because one of them was blue. Bad guys use RED, and only red. It's just a star wars law. ;)

13. E CHU TA!

Jan 8, 2000
    I have never heard a reason as to why the two-saber segment of the Dooku vs. Yoda duel was cut from ATOC. I would guess it was because of the pacing of the fight and/or technical difficulties associated with having a human use two sabers against a CG character.

I doubt it had anything to do with the blue saber.

14. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    Why do you suppose Anakin, as a confirmed Sith, would use a blue saber, though? If it were earlier in the film, I could see it, but not after his attack on the Temple (also, I do seem to recall that Dooku's scene was cut in part due to the saber - I thought I heard that Lucas made a few changes to make Dooku less ambiguous and sympathetic, one of which was cutting the blue saber usage - as this would suggest divided loyalties).

15. Darth_Critter

Darth_Critter Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 24, 2003
    Because he will be a very busy confirmed Sith, Invictus.

Yep, I'll agree he is a mechanical wizard(heh -punny knowing his end- The Mechanic becomes the machine :eek:) but it remains to be convinced/persuaded to me how he will have time to put it together.
    Unless he's using old Sids, as a loaner.
    But if Obi Wan takes Anakin's saber form him to give his son someday, wouldn't it end up red then?
    Suposing that ends up true, ofcourse. Unless he fights with both which I think is a grand idea as well. He's at the breaking point, and loses his blue one and Obi Wan takes it after the splash and he has his trusty red one after that, restored to him by Sidious as he wont need the blue one anymore anyway. The way Anakin keeps up with his blue saber so far and the way he goes through them, It's a wonder he has a blue one to fight with at all in the duel. So hey, maybe he doesn't, better luck with red; AnaVader! :p

Critter The Sabre Contemplater

16. E CHU TA!

Jan 8, 2000
    Just to theorize:

a) Obi-wan and Padme may believe that Anakin can be turned back even after Temple Massacre (?Obi-wan once thought as you did?). It?s not until the duel that Obi-wan and Padme realize this isn?t the case. I suppose a blue saber for the Mustafar massacre will also preserve the ?ambiguity? of Anakin?s turning for the audience.

b) As a function of the story, Anakin doesn?t have time to build a new saber in the course of the film. After the Mace duel, Anakin traverses to the Temple, the theater, Naboo, and finally Mustafar.

c) Anakin can?t use Sidious? lightsaber because Palpatine needs it for the Yoda duel.

d) As many others have stated, a blue vs blue fight relates to the theme of ?brother versus brother.? Literature, history, and myth have dealt with this concept frequently (Romulus and Remus; Cain and Able, ect.). The blue sabers symbolize and highlight this aspect of the duel.

17. Darth_Critter

Jun 24, 2003
    I couldn't agree more.

Just wanted to give my old friend Invictus, a work out. :p

Critter The -AnaVader- Saber- Comtemplater!

18. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Why do people like blue vs. blue lightsaber battles? Blue is too common of a saber color. I prefer green or orange.

19. Darth_Critter

Jun 24, 2003
    The smart money is on us. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. People just can't get their minds around the fact that 1) Anakin IS Vader before the doning of the suit and 2)Saber color is not the Holy Grail of Allegiance. If Obi Wan or any other Jedi for that matter got into a fight with a Sith and then their blue saber was destroyed and/or pitched away and they had the chance to force pull away the Sith Saber and then kill their Sith opponent with it, I just don't see them going:"Damn, I'd use that on them, but then I'd have to touch it, and that would mean instantaneous Sith allegiance, I guess I'll take my chances on fisticuffs vs Lightsaber"! :p

Scene: 2 Jedi come upon a Lightsaber turned off, laying on the ground.

Jedi 1: "Hey look, a Lightsaber, it's my lucky day! Now I've got a spare!" <Bends down to pick it up>

Jedi 2:"NOOOOOOOO!" "It might be a Sith Sabre you fool, you could've been killed!"

Jedi 1: "Well it's like Tusken Roulette, (think Russian here people ) I'll take my chances I feel lucky, besides I 've got a 50% chance of it not being a Sith Saber"

Jedi 2:(scared)"But what if it's red??!!!!

Jedi 1:(joking) "But what if it's not!" "There are only 2 Sith at any given time in the galaxy, were as there are thousands of us, so scientifically speaking, the odds of me finding an abandoned Sith Saber are like 10.000 to 1!"

Jedi 2:" Remember what the Academy said:" Red, you're dead, Blue, your true"

Jedi 1:" Bahhh!!" <Picks up Saber, turns it on>
    *Ignites a Red Blade*

Jedi 1 instantly is vaporized, because he held a Sith blade but was not a Dark side afficionado!

Jedi 2 on the other hand, gets on his speeder and speeds to the Starbucks inside of the local Barnes and Nobles right next to the competing Jedi library, and reads "How to use a Sith Saber for (Jedi) Dummies" then speeds back to the site where he finds an ancient Sith Parchment that reads:" He who destroys the saber, destroys it's Master" So he pulls out his bonafide Jedi blaster and shoots the damn thing to bits, instantly vaporinzing it, and says "Paybacks a Bitch!" Then wishes he had found the parchment before speeding to the bookstop and reading that thing cover to cover only to be called upon by duty to protect the galaxy to destroy it before he ever got to see if he read that book right! "What a waste!" -he thought. Little did he know though, that at the exact moment the saber vaporized, so did a one and only "Sifo Dyas" who instantly combusted into flames whilst talking with a one and only Darth Sidious aka Palpatine making him say:"Damn it, this complicates things!"

;)

Critter

20. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    Some good points, E CHU TA, but I remain unconvinced. Lucas really seems to want to keep it simple in regards to loyalties and saber colours. Likewise, AOTC demonstrated that the Jedi seem to have "extra" sabers just lying around that they can toss to Jedi in need of a loaner, so it seems to me likely that Sidious could give Anakin a temporary one until he can build his own.

I like the idea of Anakin using a blue saber as a visual cue that Obi-Wan still has some hope that he can be turned back, though.

21. SnakePlisken

SnakePlisken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2002
    The point I've been arguing for a long time is that Anakin doesn't build a red saber until he is named Darth Vader. By all indications this is after the lava bath. Becoming Darth Vader and getting the suit & mask happens at the same time.

He joins Palpatine's cause earlier in the movie, but he believes he is doing his duty for the Republic. He thinks Mace is a traitor to the Republic and that is why he kills him & the other Jedi.

Also, Anakin in my belief cannot fully turn to the dark side until Padme is believed dead.

22. Golic

Golic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    LOL Critter. I don't think Jedi are incapable of using sith lightsabers or vice versa, but from an out of universe standpoint, or a filmaking standpoint, Lucas says bad guys only use red, so it's his little rule. But from an in universe standpoint, these stories just happen to occur at times when Sith were using Red without any reason to use another color, the same for jedi.

23. Invictus_Sol

Aug 30, 2003
    He joins Palpatine's cause earlier in the movie, but he believes he is doing his duty for the Republic. He thinks Mace is a traitor to the Republic and that is why he kills him & the other Jedi.

Murdering younglings is doing his "duty to the Republic"? I seriously doubt that he would be able to justify this to himself, as a Jedi. In my view, he would need to already have been converted in order to lead the assault on the Temple.

24. Darth_Critter

Jun 24, 2003
    Brillaint, Plisken.
    That is exactly why Anakin will have a blue saber, he being the hero in his own mind,he will think that Obi Wan is not worthy to carry it anymore, and will gladly duel him with the blue blade that he has always known and trusted. 3 years of clone war time don't just end overnight, it will be blue. And you're right on so many levels here, good job on the completion of Anakin dark side journey ending when he is told he killed Padme' NOT the infamous lava bath!
    Lava will destroy his body, the knowledge of "living" a life without his one true love and he is the reason for that-will destroy his soul!

Clone Wars/Jedi/Separtist tidy tie up-20 billion credits

Duel ending in Lava- 50 billion credits

Waking up on life support to find out that the love of your life, your reason for exsistence is dead by your hands-Priceless.

When it's gotta be hell, it's gotta be Mastercard! [face_devil]

"Discover the card, that pays you back-forever!"
    Muahahah! :eek:

Edit: Invictus, do we know that the assault comes before the duel, are we sure? Also Gl may change his mind and have Anakin be there, but not kill the kids at all, he may let troopers do the dirty work, to stay his(AnaVaders) growing internal struggles and indifference to the turmoil at hand.

Critter

25. SnakePlisken

SnakePlisken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words Critter.

Murdering younglings is doing his "duty to the Republic"? I seriously doubt that he would be able to justify this to himself, as a Jedi. In my view, he would need to already have been converted in order to lead the assault on the Temple.

He murdered Tusken children so we know he doesn't necessarily have to be fully down the path to the dark side to kill children. Especially if he thinks it's for the good of the Republic/Empire.

Just read a great post by Jedi Master Matt on this thread on page 9. Here's an excerpt that applies here, describes the situation better than i could have ... I belive he's right on the money:

Setting up the Final Steps = Palpatine/Sidious's plan now requires the framing and eminination of his only remaining enemies - the Jedi. The former Jedi, his apprentice Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus captures the Chancellor. Palpatine's "capture" requires swift action by the Jedi leadership, they send several of their finest out to "save" him. Palpatine knows that his will lead many of the Jedi and Confederacy to an untimely doom. Palpatine/Sidious's knows now is the time to replace his "temporary" lackey. He knows that the Jedi will send their best to save him and he knows that Anakin will be amoung those sent on this mission. He stokes Anakin's fire and taps into his anger and fears. Anakin strikes down Dooku. Palpatine/Sidious has the beginnings of a new apprentice.

Making His Move = Palpatine/Sidious's plan all along was to remove all obstacles and place himself solely into a position of power. The only thing left is to remove the Jedi. He's known all along that he not only has to remove the Jedi, he has to destroy their image. He needs to have the galaxy want them gone. He begins to make prepartions to declare his new Empire. The Jedi get wind of this (*this is still one of the unspoiled items) and they come to confront him. This is where Palpatine/Sidious will take care of the final piece of the frame job he's set up on the Jedi. When they come to question him he is able to be "saved" through the bravery of his bodyguard, Anakin. Even though, he could've taken care of the problem on his own (i.e. 220 volts). Palpatine/Sidious now lets the rest of the galaxy in on the Jedi's "traitorous" actions. The ordering of the Clones, the leader of the Confederacy was a Jedi, and now the Jedi leadership attemted to assinate him. They cannot be trusted. This is the true crisis. He declares the Jedi traitors and establishes martial law under his new Empire. He orders the clones to turn on their Jedi commanders.

Tying Up the Loose Ends = Palpatine/Sidious sends his new apprentice out to eliminate the remaining Jedi and destroy their temple. Then he orders his new toy to go and eliminate the remanents of the Confereracy. Of course Palpatine/Sidious knows exactly where they'll be hiding. Once this is done, his rule is secure.

c) Anakin can?t use Sidious? lightsaber because Palpatine needs it for the Yoda duel.

I think your right E CHU TA!, I can't wait to see Yoda vs Sidious. I'm wondering if that happens after or before the duel ... or at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.