main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue versus Blue Duel

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by E CHU TA!, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Not sure if this applies to blasters. All original trilogy blaster bolts were red. the only exception-that I can think of-is on ships, imperials used green, rebels red.

Blaster bolts are a different subject then lightsabers. Lucas was talking specifically about lightsabers.

[i]Civil War.
    American vs American.
    Musket vs Musket.
    Blue vs Blue.[/i]

Actually the Civil War was the Blue Vs Grey.

2. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    "George has always said that the bad guys always use red."

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, but Anakin is NOT the "bad guy" in E3. Palpatine and Dooku are the bad guys. Anakin is just a pawn of Palpatine. It is only at the END of the movie when he is dressed as Vader that he is truly a bad guy. Otherwise the phrase "There is still good in you/Obiwan once thought as you did" wouldn't make sense. He will have a red lightsaber only when he is christened "Darth Vader" and has FULLY embraced the dark side (ie. Padme is dead and all hope is gone).

3. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, but Anakin is NOT the "bad guy" in E3.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Anakin is a bad guy in Episode III. You can't kill countless innocent people and claim to be the good guy. You can't make evil choices and claim to be the good guy.

Good guys don't attack other good guys. When a good guy fights, it's always against another bad guy.

4. SnakePlisken

SnakePlisken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2002
    No where does it state by official or spoilers (to my knowledge) when Anakin makes his turn to the darkside. It was stated in a Hyperspace chat that it was a "choice" he made, but it did not state when he made this choice in the flim.

We have had one spoiler that is a good indication of when he turns: the Darth Vader naming ceremony. Which happens after he's already in the suit.

I believe there is a distinction between when he allies himself 100% with Palpatine, and when he actually becomes a Sith. He does bad things before he gets the name 'Darth Vader'. He thinks the Jedi have become traitors, so he allies himself with Palpatine and the Republic/Empire. This is when he kills Mace, the Jedi at the temple, and the Seperatists, all enemies of the Republic/Empire. This killing spree culminates in the confrontation with Obi-Wan, the lava dip, then the acceptance of the darkside after hearing of Padmé's death. It's important I think that he cannot fully become Vader without Padmé being believed dead in his mind.

5. Maverick4101

Maverick4101 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    "Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, but Anakin is NOT the "bad guy" in E3. Palpatine and Dooku are the bad guys. Anakin is just a pawn of Palpatine.

I hardly count Dooku the bad guy of Episode 3. He is alive for like 10 minutes. IMO that does not make a very important villan to be called the bad guy. Anakin is the bad guy. Betraying your friends, teachers, mentors, and billions of citizens you vowed to protect by being a jedi warrants being called a "bad guy". And if that doesn't make him a bad guy, then dooku can't be the bad guy of Episode 2 because all he did was betray his friends, teachers, mentors, and billions of citizens he vowed to protect as a jedi.

6. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Anakin is a bad guy in Episode III.

No, I don't think he is a designated "bad guy" in E3 until after the duel. I'd say he's an extremely confused person that made a LOT of very bad decisions in E3, but his is NOT "THE BAD GUY". He is the chosen one and will be viewed as the chosen one throughout the entire movie. I think that Obiwan goes to Mustafar as a last ditch effort to bring Anakin back to the light side. No one gives any hope to "the bad guy" coming back to the light.

7. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    To say Anakin is the bad guy because hes killing jedi is not right, he will believe he is doing this to end the war. Nobody would say Kenobi is the bad guy if he kills separatists, hes just doing want he thinks is right, wheras somewhere along the way Anakin will believe the only way to stop the fighting is to have a supreme Emperor that can control everything, obviuosly the jedi are not going to want to be under the rule of one person, so They will become his enemy, Anakin is killing so the killing will stop. on whether or not he will have blue, i always thougt hed have a red saber in the fight with Kenobi, and just because of the red saber does not mean that your evil, I can understand calling Maul evil , but Dooku was like Anakin who thought the jedi were corrupt and wrong and just went against them, im not saying that Anakin or Dooku are good guys but its been clear from Episode I and II that the jedi are not perfect. From all the spoilers it seems Anakins turn is largely political.

8. E CHU TA!

E CHU TA! Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2000
    Just to throw a wrinkle into my own thread:

At 2:23, when Anakin tilts his saber hilt perpendicular to the camera, it appears that he is holding his blue Jedi saber. The projection at the top of the hilt gives it away.

[image=http://mankrah.com/djc/2_23_2.jpg] [image=http://www.dougie-doright.com/ana1.jpg]

However, as others have noted, when Anakin turns toward the camera, there is black line on the tip of the saber hilt:

[image=http://marsbase.50free.net/images/leaked_snapshots/Buddies.jpg] [image=http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/news-epis-54.jpg]

From the side, this saber looks very much like the ANH saber hilt. Anakin does use this saber at some point in the duel. So, it stands to reason that this is the same one.

[image=http://mankrah.com/djc/2_18.jpg] [image=http://www.jedi-academy.com/film/the_gift.jpg]

As was mentioned in the *BLUE v. RED* in Parts of Leaked Duel Footage thread, what?s clear is that this saber is not Darth Vader?s. There's not enough black on the tip of the hilt:

[image=http://www.thelightsaber.com/WorkFolder/SmallSFW/VaderANHSM.jpg]

I did find a picture of a saber hilt with a black tip in the "A Common Foe" set diary. It doesn?t appear to be a perfect match, however. There may be too much black on the body of the hilt.

Overall, I suppose that the black could be an illusion due to the quality of the visuals. It's hard to tell. :confused:

9. Texas_Jedi

Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 1999
    I'm thinking Anakin will have a blue & red saber during the duel.

I hope we don't see green vs blue. I'm hoping to see blue vs blue. Blue vs blue for symbolic reasons & blue vs blue would work better from a techinal standpoint anyway. They'll be fighting and dueling so hard and fast it will look faster to the eye if they both use the same color blade.

Rick McCallum said the duel will have the speed & be like Maul-Obi Wan. I disagree, it looks faster IMO.

10. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    EDIT: (nevermind)

11. Darth_Critter

Darth_Critter Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 24, 2003
    Civil War.
    American vs American.
    Musket vs Musket.
    Blue vs Blue.

Actually the Civil War was the Blue Vs Grey.

[face_laugh]

HAHAHHAHA.
    I have a degree, D_Lowe, but thanks for the refresher!

I meant as was my point, that it would be blue vs. blue.
    As in Brother vs Brother, a figurative analogy I was working with ol chap! ;)

I am quite the war scholar though, so excuse the pun, but...."Fire away!" :p

Critter "The color blind commentator"

12. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    HAHAHHAHA.

So what. That doesn't determine your Star Wars knowledge.

13. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    Critter: You write like Fatboy Roberts.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Doesn't matter if Anakin thinks he's justified, he's still evil. We've been told that Anakin falls early in the film and the rest of the time is his journey towards becoming Vader. Thus he'd have a red saber, if Lucas is going that route. The pics so far are a good start, but they are not the final indicator as we don't know how the entire duel pans out.

15. mortal118

mortal118 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    All I know is that a blue on blue lightsaber fight would be visually hard to watch and enjoy. Besides, Anakin will have already be on the Dark side by then and should be weilding a red saber because he'll be a Sith.

16. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    I want you all to look at something real quick. Go back to AOTC to Anakin's borrowed green lightsaber. What hilt do you see in this shot? I know know about you but that is Kenobi's hilt.

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/gallery_2.jpg]

Then look at this pic of the upclose hilt of Anakin.

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/shocked.jpg]

I see a totally different hilt in that shot.

17. Focefullkenobi

Focefullkenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2004
    I do too, I see a silverish longer hilt than originally shown.

18. Numbshiba

Numbshiba Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2003
    I don't know, I think Blue on Blue just wouldn't stand out. If you listen to George blather on about his visual tone-poems (in the commentary for atoc), he is all about visual conflict and movement.

I just think visually, lucas will always go for one saber color against another, there is more visual contrast. Regardless of who the real bad guy is.

Actually if you look at the first of D-Lowe's linked pics, you see 3 different saber colors. Of course there is a narrative reason, but also from an art-driection standpoint, it just makes better visual sense than having multple sabres of the same color clashing.

Of course darth maul's double sided sweetness came close to breaching that when he was fighting the two jedi sabres at the same time.

19. SnakePlisken

SnakePlisken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2002
    What's your point with the AotC pics D? ?[face_plain]

20. Darth_Critter

Darth_Critter Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 24, 2003
    HAHAHHAHA.

So what. That doesn't determine your Star Wars knowledge.

D_lowe,
    You are correct sir. It does not determine my SW knowledge. But that wasn't your insult. Your insult was to my intelligence as an American, that I would not even know/remember something as simple as that it was The Blue vs The Gray.
    Lets not get ofcourse here, you forget that this is trivial to begin with as you misunderstood a quite clearly put analogy, therefore; it was really sad for you to come back with a "rebutal" for my explanation. It like a 5 year old trying to get even with a college professor after he tries to explain what 2 divided by 2 is, and the kids retort is:"Well my dad can beat up your dad!" -Just sad. [face_plain]

FatboyRoberts eh? ;) No Comment.

Critter The Bus Driver

"Takin you to school, one smartass at a time.."

D_Lowe, a stimulating game of chess perhaps, or would you prefer checkers? [face_mischief]

Next time read the sign on my cage(better than my analogies): " Do NOT feed the Rancor!!!"

You're going to wind up getting bit.....

Back on topic: My vote is Blue vs Blue regardless of my "SW knowledge". This is what we call SW Speculation around these parts...

21. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Check out the new webdoc. Plenty of good shots of Anakin's saber during the duel...

22. Xyber_Hex

Xyber_Hex Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2004
    I will now guarantee red, looking at everything there IS a reason that Anakin's saber is red in the shooting, and that is the fact that they use the color to make it easier for the computer effects to tell which is supposed to be which.
    That whole argument of "it will just be replaced so the color doesnt matter" does not hold water.
    I still say the first moment he ignites the red saber will be a mark out moment in the theater.

23. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    D-Lowe, remember that is not Obi-wan's saber, that is one that the Nsync jedi tossed to him and anakin in the arena so that they would have some protection...

24. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    D-Lowe, remember that is not Obi-wan's saber, that is one that the Nsync jedi tossed to him and anakin in the arena so that they would have some protection...

I think you missed my point. What happened is that the hilt that Anakin used for his green lightsaber didn't have a prop made for it, so he used the Kenobi prop. In fact Ewan used the same one during his fight with Dooku, and in some shots you can see it. They just used the props that weren't supposed to be noticed and the upclose shots had the hilts they are suppose to be using.

[b]ON ANOTHER NOTE!!!![/b]

There is no denying what lightsaber hilt/prop I saw today on the [i]Making of Episode III[/i] today for Anakin. If you have the capability of saving the file, you can go to the 4:37 mark and it clearly shows the lightsaber Hayden was holding and it had a pure black tip with black all over the lightsaber. Let's just say it clearly wasn't the blue ANH lightsaber that was given to Luke.

25. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    That whole argument of "it will just be replaced so the color doesnt matter" does not hold water.

Sure it does. Otherwise that would mean that both Anakin and Obi-Wan will be using red lightsabers during the duel.

Think I'm crazy?

Watch the last shot of Anakin and Obi-Wan in the new web-doc (it starts at 5:14). Both are carrying sabers with red blades. Now, does anyone really believe that they're both going to have red blades?

Didn't think so. Time to put the "stick color = blade color" theory to bed, folks.

Oh, and I still think it'll be blue on blue. For many, many reasons.

-Otis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.