main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue vs. Blue, Hidden Meaning?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Rogue_Jedi132, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Jedi132

Rogue_Jedi132 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2005
    For the Vader/Obi-wan duel at the end of ROTS both of them use blue lightsabers, could this possibly have a hidden meaning. Both of them attempting to do their own version of good, Obi-wan attempting to destroy the Sith and Vader attempting to save Padme. Discuss.

GFett Edit: Edited title

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Could be, but I doubt it. I think George just thought we haven't had a Blue Vs Blue duel before, so, lets try that. It did look EXTREMLY cool, though. :cool:

3. iKillBabyJedis

iKillBabyJedis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    It meant Blue as in the Color...

Was going against Blue.... The same exact Color!

Lets just leave it at that and go on with are Happy Lives.

4. Darth_Finkle

Darth_Finkle Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2003
    This is a long shot, but maybe both of them just had blue sabers. Maybe.

5. Everloony

Everloony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    Maybe because at that point in time, Anakin was still fighting with somewhat good intentions? His aim was to save Padme; he wasn't enjoying what he was doing. As Darth Vader, though, he's simply taking randomized revenge and tormenting everyone in his path for the sheer enjoyment of it. The red lightsaber suits him then.

What I find interesting is that both Luke and Qui-gon have green lightsabers.

6. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    blue vs blue!
    i thought the symbol was rather obvious. they're both having the blues :p

7. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    The blue vs. blue, IMO, symbolizes two friends/brothers/peers fighting against each other. You bring up a good point though and I agree; they both are fighting for what they believe is good.

8. Jen_Skywalker16

Jen_Skywalker16 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2004
    I always thought that by Anakin using a blue saber against Obi-wan's blue saber ment that there was still good in Anakin, that he hadn't fully cross the line between dark and light at that point and that there was still hope for him to turn back to the light.

9. primetime

primetime Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    yeah I think that it means that they are equal fighters, also they just both happen to have blue lightsabres, Darth isn't truly Darth till he makes himself the red one.

10. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Jedi against Jedi, brother against brother.

Simple as that.

11. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    From a symbolistic point of view, I think it's supposed to help emphasise that Anakin is a fallen hero, that he was a good guy who is turning on his former allies and also to show that the good guys are being destroyed from within.

It's obviously deliberate from Lucas, since he could easily have had Anakin use Dooku's saber or Sidious give him a red one without changing the plot in any major way.

12. Darth_MSG

Darth_MSG Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2004
    Not everything in ROTS has a hidden meaning. Vader uses his blue lightsaber because he has not yet constructed his Sith lightsaber. There is "still" some good in him, but I don't think Lucas was trying to tell us that throught the color of his lightsaber.

Plus, like G-FETT said, it looked really cool in the duel.

13. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    No, Lucas is very into the whole symbolism thing. I'd be highly surprised if it wasn't for the reason I stated above.

14. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    Will think about a red lightsaber and how it would look on a planet like Mustafar. :p

The way I see it is the Kenobi/Vader duel is a much more personal duel and has little to do with the grand scheme of things (Jedi/Sith) while Yoda/Sidious is nothing but Jedi/Sith.
    A nice contrast, imo.

15. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    why don't people decide for themselves if there's a symbol here or not. do we really need lucas to tell us every little thing. if you see it as a symbol, then it is. if you don't then it isn't.

it's really very simple :)

16. ElizabethMcKeeman

ElizabethMcKeeman Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    By the time The Dual comes around, Anakin is not trying to save Padme. He's already tried to kill her.

17. MasterSareBabe

MasterSareBabe Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Interesting idea, but I think that's digging a little deep. ;)

18. primetime

primetime Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    It's obviously deliberate from Lucas, since he could easily have had Anakin use Dooku's saber or Sidious give him a red one without changing the plot in any major way.

I don't think Sidious could have given him one since he lost his backup against Mace.

Unless he has a closet full of lightsabres.

19. TheFredFactor

TheFredFactor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    if anakin had had a red saber, then luke's first saber would have been red, and that would have been all wrong

20. jvberggren

Nov 8, 2004
    ^^actually... that would've been kind of cool [face_laugh]
    luke fires up a read saber... wouldn't that be the ultimate surprise for the children of the PT?

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's a bit of that. That Vader thinks he's doing good, while in reality he isn't. Obi-wan is good, but he's seen as evil. Also, it's most likely to do with the fact that it represents brother vs brother/father figure vs son figure. While Yoda vs Sidious is Jedi vs Sith.

22. johnmr017

johnmr017 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    lucas didn't have any other choice in regard to continuity. when obi-wan gives luke his fathers lightsabre in ep4, it's blue. his own is also blue. if not blue on blue lucas would have to explain it.

23. Jedi-Master-Vader

Jedi-Master-Vader Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 29, 2003
    Maybe because at that point in time, Anakin was still fighting with somewhat good intentions? His aim was to save Padme; he wasn't enjoying what he was doing. As Darth Vader, though, he's simply taking randomised revenge and tormenting everyone in his path for the sheer enjoyment of it. The red lightsaber suits him then.

A very good post.

Furthermore, from a symbolic point of view, The minute Vader ignites Luke's Jedi sabre in ROTJ and says "I see you have constructed a new lightsabre", it is at this point when Vader's feelings are conflicted and then we know what happens after that.....

24. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Will think about a red lightsaber and how it would look on a planet like Mustafar.

Yeah, red or yellow lightsabers wouldnt have been a good contrast on Mustafar.

25. Darth_Sideous

Darth_Sideous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    It's like Lucas and his daughter in the movie: blue face and blue face, mentor and student, father and daughter...

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.