main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue vs. Blue, Hidden Meaning?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Rogue_Jedi132, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    no hidden meaning at all. obi had a blue saber, anakin
    probably wanted to honor him so he got a blue
    crystal for his saber. years later and minus
    a few battle droids, they fight each other. no big whoop.

2. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    The only thing I would think it would mean is the brother versus brother theme.

3. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Without stateing the obvious I think it was more that Anakin had a blue saber and Obi-wan had a blue saber. [face_thinking] ;)

4. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, its also like, the separatist ships and droids have a lot of blue, and the clones shoot blue, means that looks dont matter, the true evil is hidden in the most beautiful things, as well as the ugly

5. TheSuperSpecies

TheSuperSpecies Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2004
    Obi-wan gives Luke a blue lightsaber in ANH- his father's. When Obi-wan fights Vader on the death star, his own lightsaber is blue. They both having blue lightsabers when they fight in ROTS fits within the story. It wouldnt make sense any other way.

6. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I hadn't really thought of this before but "blue on blue" is a military phrase for friendly fire. Kinda interesting.

7. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    GL wanted to break the blue saber curse

8. anikaneo

anikaneo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2004
    Blue saber curse? I've never heard of that. I think either it's got to do with continuity or that it shows how Anakin has turned against his peers.

9. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    GL wanted to break the blue saber curse

Really? So who won the Anakin and Dooku fight in ROTS?

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    lucas says theres not meaning besides red = sith and blue/green = jedi. anakin just didn't have time to build his sith saber. no further meaning. someone said the blue saber meant anakin was struggling between light and dark and obi-wan was trying to redeem him. however, obi-wan is clearly trying to kill anakin.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. Lucas said that good guys have blue and green, bad guys have red. That's just how it works. He then said that he'll see about giving Jackson purple.

12. Joey-WanKenobi

Joey-WanKenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jan 7, 2002
    The only reason Luke's lightsaber was green was because blue didn't show up too well against the sky at the sarlacc pit battle. The only reason Mace had a purple lightsaber was because SLJ requested it. I don't think the saber color represents as much as you all think it does. If you wanna interpret it that way that's cool, but that doesn't mean GL intended it that way.

13. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    Also, let's not forget - if you believe that Luke's green saber in ROTJ was because of backgrounds (and not toy merchandising like I do) then doesn't it stand to reason that a red sabre on a lava planet may not show up the best ??

Then there's that other little issue of Obi Wan giving Luke Anakin's lightsabre as well.

14. snorkling_squirrel

snorkling_squirrel Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    Darth Sidious hasn't yet gave him a red one? Just a thought.

15. Lord_AnnMal

Lord_AnnMal Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    i dont think it means enything its just that anakin dint get his red one yet so he had to use blue

16. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    That's pretty much the gist of it.

Stop reading so deep into things people. Not EVERYTHING is done for us to examine to death.

17. STF

STF Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    That is absolutely true. Also the other reasons people mentioned here may have played a part in it. I don't really see any harm in conjecturing about this kind of thing. It is entirely possible that there are multiple reasons that GL chose to do it this way.

18. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    ^^^^^^^^

Huh? what are you TRYING to say?

19. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    brother vs. brother

friend vs friend

George Lucas, you are a genious for that!

20. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    I think it was Rick McCollum that basically said "lightsabers aren't mood rings. They don't change colors because you change sides." Ani didn't have to time to put a new crystal in before he started wiping people out. That's really about it

21. Hou-nom Jek

Hou-nom Jek Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2000
    They both just happened to have blue sabers.

There is no logical reason for Anakin to have a red saber at this point. For the very final lightsaber fight in the PT, it just makes sense for Obi to use the one he has in ANH, and Anakin to use the one given to Luke in ANH. That being the case, those are the saber colors used. If Luke had been given a green or orange or rainbow saber in ANH, then thats the one Anakin would have used. Luke was given blue, so Anakin used blue.

22. Xavier89

Xavier89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    As others have already stated there really is no hidden meaning. Lucas is just trying to show brother vs. brother and I love that idea. It adds so much more emotion in their fight.

23. AngerleadstoHate

AngerleadstoHate Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2004
    I had thought (up until seeing the movie of course) that Obi-Wan was going to cut Anakin's legs off, at which point he rolls down by the lava losing his blue lightsaber in the tumble. Then Obi-Wan, realizing Anakin is helpless would outstretch his hand to help him. Anakin, with his good arm quickly grabs another lightsaber from his belt, the red one, and slashes at Obi-Wan with it. At such point Obi-Wan is forced to cut off Anakin's remaining good arm and leave him for dead as he burns. That would have been a little bit more symbolic. But, since that didn't happen... what can you do.
    For everyone claiming there is a continuity issue that had to be resolved by having Anakin weild the blue lightsaber so Obi-Wan coudl pick it up at the end... not really. There are ways around taht... here's one: Anakin removes his cloak up by Padme's ship before the duel begins remember? On Obi'Wan's way out, show him pick up the cloak and find Anakin's old blue lightsaber. Continuity issue resolved, sure, Anakin could have had a red one in the fight. George did it right though, no arguments here!

24. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    "It's like Lucas and his daughter in the movie: blue face and blue face, mentor and student, father and daughter..."

Also a whole lot of beef in that scene too :eek:

25. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004

we havn't seen a green on green fight before.... or a red on red.... but i aggree with the thing that they just both have blue lightsabers....... umm.... yeah...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.