main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Blue's Fan Art - Updated 28/06/10 Updates In Index!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Blue_but_beautiful, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
  2. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Blue_but_beautiful! [:D]
    Welcome to Fanarts!

Hey, I've just read through your fanfic and left a comment there! Your drawings remind me of it. They are really excellent! =D= The scariest thing is still Tsavong Lah's smile, I guess... [face_worried] [face_blush]

My fav one is Elan! You've captured her perfectly: Alien, deadly and beautiful at the same time. In my opinion it's way better than the cover art! I'm currently working on a J/K fic set in the NJO and Elan also appears there, so I'm very grateful you've provided me with such an awesome pic. I'm sure it'll inspire me greatly. :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work! :)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Those are pretty good! I think the Shedao Shai one is my favorite.

4. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks Chilla ever so much, it's good to be here :D
    Glad you like the arts, I was in a slightly overly humerous mood when someone asked me to sketch Tsavong Lah XD can you tell? I just thought i'd made a change from seeing his familiar moody face. He's one of my faves so I had to do something different.
    Elan was actually the first female Yuuzhan Vong I drew, I tried to make her sensual and mysterious with a hint of deadliness, so i'm glad some of that is conveyed.

Do you have a link to your fic by the way? I'm always looking for new fics to read :)
    Thanks again for the nice comments :)

Fett: Glad you like, I plan to do an updated version of Shedao Shai sometime. I have a list that i've been working my way down since November lol.

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi Blue_but_beautiful, and welcome to TF.N!! I couldn't be more delighted that you chose to post some of your fabulous work here, too (and I totally agree--there's precious-little art of the Yuuzhan Vong around!)!

I love all of these--the detailing is amazing, with all the tattoos and scarring...it can't be simple to illustrate these beings... You mentioned coloring--are these done in watercolors...? If so, I'm even more jealous than before (I can't paint with anything, lol!)! Of these, I think my favs are Elan and Shedao Shai (superb figure and pose in that one!)--although I have to agree with Chilla that Tsavong Lah's grin is positively chilling! Great work, and we're so glad you chose to share it here! Looking forward to more, most certainly! Again--welcome!

FF

6. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very much FalconFan! Glad to be here :D
    I'm starting to look at that Tsavong Lah pic in a new light now though....chilling.
    There is another one of him with Seef floating around my gallery.
    And yup you are right, I did these with watercolour, indian ink over a graphite sketch. Line arts are floating around in my scraps too.

While the tattoo's/Scars take a while to do I really enjoy coming up with new ones so it's by no means a chore. More to come in the near future no doubt, can never have enough Yuuzhan Vong art, hehe.

7. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Wow - these are cool! I love the graphic designs! Wonderful detail!

8. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Ah yes, somehow the YV amuse me to no end, especially from you :)

Isn't their blood black?

9. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Yes their blood is discribed as being black, I sketched Harrar way before I read that though...d'oh!

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, those are all really nice!

They're all a little cartoony and humorous for what I have in mind for the Vong, but I think that's what makes them unique. Shedao Shai is definitely my favorite out of the bunch. I hope to be seeing more work from you! :)

And welcome to Fan Art!

11. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks!
    I wouldn't have said so much cartoony in animation sense, but they were a comic book style :D
    They were actually some of my first attempts at a new more cutting edge-style of comic. Before that I tended to sketch things more 'true to life' if you will. I have not attempted to sketch a Yuuzhan Vong in the old style yet ( though there is plenty of that style in my gallery used on other SW related things.) so I may yet give it a bash.
    As I say I do have plenty of other SW art on that gallery, i'll post some more links if anyone is interested?

12. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hey, great update! =D=

My fav is Alema! She looks so much like I imagine her and she has great eyes. Looks awesome!

Great job! =D= Me likie!

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:

How did I miss all this NJO art in your dA gallery?! :confused::oops: I love your take on a lot of those characters: Cilghal, Vergere, Alema--Jaina and Jacen look great! And I love your idea for the yammosk (...I always had trouble visualizing that creature, even with detailed descriptions...)! These are all great--and of course, I love the one of the "father and son!" Your skills with watercolors are really wonderful (**is jealous!** ;) ), and I love that your interpretations are so creative! Very nice!

FF

14. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Chilla: Thanks very much :) I had not seen many Alema pics about so decided to sketch my own version, I really liked the change her character went through in the dark nest trilogy.

Falcon Fan : Thank you! :) My faves to sketch and paint were definantly Vergere and the 'father and son' pic. I have more on the way actually, that WIP I mentioned over at DA is nearing completion so fingers crossed that comes out ok.
    My gallery is a bit of a mess at the moment I was hoping to start up my own site some time this year and re-organize my fan art a bit. Thanks again for the lovely comments :D

15. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Update!

I have been busy over the past few weeks so haven't had chance to post these up yet. Enjoy! :D

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47178466/?qo=7&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Tsavong and Khalee Lah

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47477751/?qo=6&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - General Grievous gets his own movie! (humour).

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47972079/?qo=4&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Yun-Ne'Shel

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/48925331/?qo=3&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - A quick Biro Sketch of Asajj Ventress

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/48946293/?qo=2&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Yun Harla

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49510912/?qo=1&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Kaminoan Cloner, Taun-We

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49710192/?&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Shedao Shai graphite sketch

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hee! You already know how much I like all of these, Blue! ;) I'll say so again, though! :D

That Grievous poster is so great--the use of that movie for this was just inspired! The Asajj pen sketch is gorgeous, and has a wonderful, "quick" feel to the strokes, though the piece itself is very polished; Yun-Harla is a beautiful interpretation, full of the contradictions inherent to the Trickster Goddess, and I still love the graphite pieces: Shedao Shai and Taun-We are both just wonderful, with great shading and detailing. A great update, and we'll definitely be looking forward to seeing more!

FF

17. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks as always falcon fan! Very much appreciated comments :D
    I was hoping to have some new stuff up today, but I appear to be coming down with that nasty flu-bug someone sitting not too far away from me was so kind enough to pass on XD and now I sound as healthy as General Grievous :p
    More things are on the way though :)

18. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    One new piece and some previously un-posted old works.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49965045/ - An illustration of Yuuzhan Vong communications attendant 'seef' for one of my fics of the same title. (fic can be found in my user info)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37746966/?qo=52&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Twi'lek dark jedi 'Zi'shea Nise' my character from SWG

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36190099/?qo=61&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Twi'lek entertainer, sister to the above character, who I also play as on SWG, one of my very old original illustrations that needs updating badly!

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31827029/?qo=94&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Asajj Ventress, clone wars style.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31826170/?qo=97&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - An old unfinished Aurra Sing sketch.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/31825796/?qo=98&q=by%3Ablue-but-beautiful&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps - Battle droid observational sketch.

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Gah!! What a great update! =D=

You know I love Seef--it's a wonderful piece! The Twi'leks are just beautiful (as Twi'leks should be! ;) )--very nice colors, and I actually love those brows: they're unique and very expressive! The CW Asajj is just great, and I love the Aurra Sing piece (wonderful detailing there); that Battle Droid is a great "portrait" of those preprogrammed "cannon fodder" in the war--great details and shading there, too. It's such fun to see such wide-ranging styles, too--very nice!

FF

20. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very much FF ! I'm glad some people like these, i'm not big on the whole confidence thing so I get nervous posting my work :p
    It was interesting to look back at some of these actually, The battle droid in particular because that was done just before I started my first degree. The different styles came later as a product of my masters, I was always asked to sketch stuff differently and as fast as I could possibly do it *shrug*
    I would really like to get back into the making side of things though *le sigh*

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "The different styles came later as a product of my masters, I was always asked to sketch stuff differently and as fast as I could possibly do it "

I can see where learning the art "trade" and the techniques necessary for professional success would most definitely include the "different" and "as fast as [you] could possibly do it" stuff; I think, though, that for your own pleasure or hobby-type art, you should feel free to use whatever techniques feel comfortable to you (that's the reason for "hobby art:" it's leisurely and enjoyable, not manic and hurried...). I know that artists' techniques and styles evolve as they grow, and that's as it should be--but I also know that when I'm drawing for my own entertainment and enjoyment, I don't want to hurry: I want to take my time (and boy, do I take my time! lol!)--work or not, set it all aside for a while until I can look at it fresh and work on it some more, or even not finish it at all (and sometimes that's okay, too). Just keep that in the back of your mind for things you're doing for yourself, or just because you want to: sort of the "Zen" of doing hobby-art! ;)

Looking forward to more!

FF

22. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    It's certainly a hard thing to get out of the habit of doing, especially when I do desperately want to get into a more full time job art wise and out of free-lance work :( If I see another graphic-design job I think i'll scream XD

Drawing for lesiure definantly needs to be perfected this end, while I find it relaxing to sketch or make something, I still do have the bad habit of rushing things for fear of over-working them. Your sketches certainly show how much time and effort you have put into them. Certainly adds a personal touch.
    I am still stuck in the habit of being repremanded if I hadn't made or sketched 20 + samples in one day XD I can hear the whip crack from here lol.

23. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Just a couple of new additions this time.
    I've recently invested in a wacom tablet, so this is what i've been messing with.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50484996/ - An updated coloured version of a biro sketch I did ( Asajj Ventress)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50866775/ - WIP Yammosk pic

24. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Just stopping by to say that I think your work is very impressive. I really love your use of colors especially in Vergere and Cilghal. Very dramatic! :)

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    That Asajj piece is riot-good, Blue! =D= I love the colors, and the wonderful "echo" of her tattoos in the background you fashioned for her--very, very nice! And that yammosk is too cool! I was never able to formulate a good "mind's eye picture" of them, throughout the entire NJO series, so it's great to have an image of one to look at now (one of those "Ohhhhhhh" moments! ;) )! Wonderful texturing and movement in it, with all the tentacles.

Are there any plans to illustrate a dhuryam...? All the time Jacen spent with his, from Traitor on, and I couldn't really picture that creature, either... I'd love to see your take on one! **shameless hinting once again!** :p

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.