main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Blue's Fan Art - Updated 28/06/10 Updates In Index!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Blue_but_beautiful, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks once again FalconFan! always a joy to read your comments. Most work that is YV related seems to get overlooked in favour of the heroes these days :( That said, I do have a pic of Zekk in the works ;)

2. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Update time!
    And this week I have mostly been working on...ZEKK!
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55181146/
    Moody Jedi and boy-toy of Jaina Solo.

I will also be adding an index to this page at some point as it's easier to find stuff that way :)

3. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Zekk fan art! :D Couldn't help but delurk when I saw that. He looks awesome. [face_love]

Love your Yuuzhan Vong fan art, too. Vergere's portrait is lovely, and I love the colorful yammosk. :)

4. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very muchly Jedi_of_ennth :) I spent a few hours working on him yesterday (mainly sorting out his hair and sourcing flesh tones) to get him finished off. Glad you like. Been meaning to sketch him for quite some time, but always got side-tracked D:

I will be updating my gallery again sometime soon, might try a digital pic of Vergere seeing as she worked so well in water colour :) Thanks again!

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    "Moody Jedi and boy-toy"

LOL! [face_laugh] Too true! ;) This is a great finish for this piece, Blue--I really don't think, in this style particularly, that he needs a b/g; if you do choose to put something back there, I think really simple would be best. Love that hair... **sigh** So long and shiny, the breeze running its fingers through it... And that expression (as I mentioned with the original line work piece) suits him perfectly! A lovely job!

FF

6. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thankyee Falcon Fan I kind of feel sorry for him being the fallback guy after the whole Jag thing, he's a 'nice' boy XD
    I am glad the hair came out ok, I really wanted it to and as I said on DA, It was done using a digitalized version of the technique you showed everyone in a hair tute :D - Much appreciated tip that!
    I might try a version with a simple background, i'd only imagined something like dead leaves whooshing past him, that sort of thing - so nothing too complicated but I wouldn't want it to detract too much from the figure.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great painting? of Zekk and just like I am seeing him when reading those books.

8. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    WOW Blue.
    That Zekk is really good!
    =D=
    What media did you use for it? Photoshop colouring?

9. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thankyou earlybird I was really worried i'd mess him up somehow :)

And thankyou also rhi-sparks :) I swapped between using corel painter and photoshop for various different brushes etc in conjunction with the wacom tablet software.

10. Angelic_Amidala

Angelic_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2007
    Wow! Those aliens you have drawn are really good! Amazing. Love the colouring and shading in your works. [face_peace]

Blessings,

~Angelic Amidala

11. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thank you Angelic Amidala :D Nice to hear what people think.

12. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    I know, I know, I haven't done an Index yet. I've been really really busy here there and everywhere but finally got round to finishing a picture of my Yuuzhan Vong OC, Nia Shul.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/NiaShulFinalNOBACKGROUNDtest.jpg - Without background

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/NiaShulFinalWBACKGROUNDTEST2.jpg -With background

Scuse the size of these, DA was being evil and not letting me post anything so i've had to use photobucket to host the images for now.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That character is great and just like I am seeing them when I am reading the NJO books.

14. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very much earlybird :) [:D] There are some more to come of this one, she features in an RP plot over at http://embracethepain.proboards79.com/
    going to try a full body shot next time, perhaps an action pose.

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:

**sputters in shock**

...Where's that "jawdrop" emoticon when you really need it!?!

How FANTAStic!! =D==D= Absolutely gorgeous detailing, expression, shading...ALL of it! Your Yuuzhan Vong portraits are always wonderful, but this one seems especially evokative: I think it's the tilt of her head, and the look in those liquid eyes...she seems almost...melancholy... Of course that's something the YV don't understand, so I may be way off--regardless, it hit me right away. I love the hair, and the tattoos--it's just gorgeous all around! =D==D=

FF

16. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thankyee for the fantastic comment Falconfan :D [:D] !
    The hair insp for her actually came from a hairy ( or rather non) adventure I had 2 years ago now when I shaved my head and saved a bit at the back for that aurra sing effect XD.
    But I preffer the story Kecen furnished about how she started to lose her hair at an early age, I added to this by suggesting that she in fact pulled it all out on one side as a mark of an early minor escalation.
    The expression is taken from a part of the RP storyline where she is regarding an irksome rival who has just delivered an awesome put down. She's pensive and vindictive - not a good combination when you are on the recieving end D:
    Thanks again, muchly :D

17. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    Great job with the Vong adaptations! They are notoriously absent for the most part online, and still somewhat open to interpretation. Yours seem to have a bit of aborigine influence to them, or perhaps its tribal africa. Either way, stylistically, your stuff has a real pleasing aesthetic with the smooth lines and soft colors. You somehow make an image of a Yuuzhan-Vong a soothing one, which, due to the dichotomy inherit in that statement, is oddly unsettling, yet simultaneously peaceful. Great work!

18. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks muchly NarCranor :) I wanted to get away from the stereotypical 'drooling villain' side of them and do something a bit different with my concepts. Something a bit more on the spiritual side I guess, showing all different atributes to them aside from the devotion to good old Yun-Yammka ;)
    Glad there is still an air of unsettling sentiment in there though, I did not wish to erradicate it all together.
    The influences for the scars/tattoo's come from a variety of sources from aboriginal (warriors, priests) to indo-china (shapers, intendants) and some plain made up stuff that came off the top of my head.
    I'm a designer-maker by trade so i'm hoping to take some of these ideas and transfer them into costume in the future ( for celebration europe next year perhaps.)
    Already made a villip, should post pics of that I suppose XD
    Thanks again for the very interesting and flattering comments :D

19. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Oi, I'd be flattered too with that sort of positive feedback XD

And I was the one who typed up RP post that prompted this ahaahahaha. Hair loss indeed, is she the vain kind?

If anyone is interested, I have a link to the picture in mind with the hair loss here

(http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55161512/)

20. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Who needs hair when you can just use something else? XD Coincidentally, i'm using small glow in the dark slinky's fused to my natural hair atm lol.
    And yeah, it was a good suggestion about how Nia lost her hair at an early age, though I preffer to say she pulled it all out. It's stressful in her line of work :p

21. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    I was recently given a dare by Chilla, to draw Jaina Solo ( I have Jaina issues - nooo Tsavong Lah! *mourns* :p )
    So consider myself well and truly dared, here is the result!

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/57524233/

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "I have Jaina issues"

LOL! [face_laugh] You're certainly not alone, my friend--Jaya inspires a lot of mixed feelings (depending on how her story line is going! ;) )!

I just love this, though (**must hug Chilla for this dare!**)! It captures this moment from the narrative so well: her momentary loss of composure, her vulnerabililty and emotion... I love the hair--so soft-looking, so shiny... And her expression...so fragile... A wonderful job (and it's good, sometimes, to try drawing someone we don't care for, isn't it? :D ;) )!!

FF

23. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Wonderful work, I really love the hair. Nicely executed, keep it up!

24. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    FalconFan - lol thats true, and yes it is sometimes good to sketch those people, often ends up with a happy accident of a surprise. Thanks muchly! :)

Basement24 - Thanks very much :) the hair took a long time to sort out, then I realized i'd used the wrong sized tool for the job, but it turned out ok I thought ;)

25. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Guilty! :D [:D] Thanks so much, it's just wonderful!
    Wait, can I put it up at my Jaina fansite? [face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.