main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Blue's Fan Art - Updated 28/06/10 Updates In Index!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Blue_but_beautiful, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow!! That Ventress piece is jaw-dropping! =D= I love the b/g in it--just the proper amount of soft-focus to really pop the character out--the lighting is awesomely handled, as well!

I love all the most recent posts, too--Leia and Jabba is especially good, though I'm really diggin' your YV OC! Very nice work--your painting skills continue to sharpen, that's for sure!

FF

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That is absolutely beautiful.

3. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Hello again FF, glad to see you stopping by :) Thanks very much, I am glad you like them and think so, I am working on a bit of a mammoth request art at the moment, and it is indeed SW-centric, so expect some more posts soon I guess, hehe. I am toying with posting a preview...hmmm. [face_thinking]

Thanks :D The bc was nabbed from something else I have been working on - because cityscapes annoy the poodoo out of me ;)

4. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
  5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I always love your Vong :D

6. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    Your Asajj art is incredible. I love the pose, colours, everything ~ really beautiful work :)
    Your latest look great too, lovely work as always.

[this is Glitbiter btw, in new identity ;)]

7. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks NYCG - That landscape sized one took forever, so I am really pleased that the recipient liked it and that's only made better by the fact others seem to like it too - the time spent on that made me want to avoid my drawing tools at all costs for a while [face_laugh]

And hey, welcome back Kiyuuchan! Thanks for the heads up ;) Asajj was one of my faves to paint, hadn't done any pieces with her in them for a while, so thought it was about time.

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Looking great those vong and the landscape is stunning.

9. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very much earlybird :D

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Those updates are haunting and brilliant!

11. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very much, I am glad you like them - nice to see another new face too!

12. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Whoo! It's mini art dump time again.
    I have actually been busy doing some things that aren't SW fan art related, but I did get a request so I am going to post that next.

Meelan Lah - A request for Erik-Modi, who asked me to sketch their Yuuzhan Vong OC - She will look a bit different compared to my other YV paintings, as the description should tell you :) PLEASE FULL VIEW! - the small view looks terribe :(

And I know it's not SW, but I have seen one or two other artists around here posting the odd one off original, so here's my two pence ;)

Bittersweet

Thanks for everyone's past lovely comments - sorry for not being as active as the rest of you, I really need to get back to browsing these threads!

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Blue! Sorry it's been so long for me to get in here and comment--been nutso busy!

I love the YV OC--a very interesting story, that, how she healed from being a Shamed One--there's an redemption by the gods, most certainly! ;) I love the colors, the interesting costume and weapon she's holding, and her almost warrior-like appearance (female YV were virtually forbidden from becoming warriors, were they not...?). Very unique, and I'm sure the requester loved your effort here!

The "Bittersweet" piece is very poignant--I agree with some of your dA comments that the splash of bloody red really sets the otherwise monochrome piece off, emphasizing the melancholy posture of the figure, and the soft shadows and light... A lot of emotion coming through there, for not seeing the face...very pretty!

Hope you're having a grand holiday season (if you celebrate, that is!)!

FF

14. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    Oooooo! I love bittersweet
    the image really captivate me with its soft tones, sadness and mystery =D=

the vong is also very pretty. I like her weapon, nice creative design on that.

:)

15. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Well hello thar FF! Long time no see indeed, always a pleasure to have your comments on my workness :D And thank you very much, the costume was based on several references to female predators actually lol, the requestee had several ideas of what he wanted her to look like, though some, regretfully, weren't mentioned until the end (please people, if you do request, tell me EVERYTHING before I commit to screen! Trying to rectify issues after flattening an image is extremely hard) he seemed pretty pleased with the end result, so that is the main thing.

The warrior caste was made up of both male and female Yuuzhan Vong, both had equal rights to the best of my knowledge, perhaps you are thinking of shapers? Who were strictly forbidden to take a mate or breed? Hehe - hazzah for heresy! err....I mean...ahem NEXT!

I unfortunately got some very bad news a few days, and will probably be giving the holidays a miss this year :( but I hope you and your family/friends have a great one :) [:D]

Thanks very much!

Thanks very much! :D Sadness and mystery was exactly what I was hoping people would see in that image, though it's always fun hearing some different interpretations too - people often surprise me hehe.

The weapon on the Yuuzhan Vong is completely of the requestee's design, can't take credit for thinking that one up i'm afraid! However, I did sketch it, so thanks very much! :D

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I looove Meelan!! And Bittersweet is so lovely.

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "I unfortunately got some very bad news a few days, and will probably be giving the holidays a miss this year"

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this--I will hold you in lots of positive and healing energy and thoughts, and hope that you can find a bit of happiness in the season. All the best wishes, Blue. [:D]

FF

18. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very much, i'm glad people like this one, a lot of thought went into it, so it was a bit disappointing when the requestee said "actually I imagined this" :( But if over all he was happy that's cool with me - can't win em all! hehe.

Thanks, it's very much appreciated [:D] hope you all have an awesome holiday season!

19. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    :eek: Wow, it's been a while! But I am back with some news and some art.
    News wise, I am still painting away at a large request for the regulars of the Yuuzhan'tar thread over in the EU section, more on that in a sec, and I am also busy preparing for an exhibition. I would like to display at least one piece of my SW fan art there, so if anyone has any suggestions to throw into the pot, please do speak up! :)

I have also recently gotten my bony mitts on a copy of photoshop CS4, and have been enjoying the new smooth way of drawing freehand with that, so I did a little test piece.

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/LotvaShaiBlog-4.jpg]

As for the work I have been slaving away over for the Yuuzhan'tar thread, here are a few shots of semi-finished characters, along with a line art layout of how everything is set out for the final piece.

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/Homeworld_commission_preview_by_blu.jpg]

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/Yuuzhan__tar_thread_prev_stuff_by_b.jpg]

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/GroupProvisional2-1.jpg]

20. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    Hi Blue ! Great to see you back with new art ^___^ These are fantastic. I just got CS4 too, it's great ^^
    The last one is crazy detailed ! It's an amazing drawing, love the human slave being pulled along, lol ^___^

About the first, did you draw that straight into photoshop ? It's just it's so smooth, and if I try to draw straight in there it all comes out pixelated. Are you using the paintbrush tool ?

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hoo, WEE--what a massive project you've undertaken, my friend! AACK!! But kudos to you for doing it--I don't think I've ever seen anything like this, outlining the way the YV society operated (and yeah--that poor slave/sacrifice, being dragged away...). Very cool, but yes--very challenging! The completed portions look terrific, and it's going to be great fun to see this masterpiece come together (thanks, btw, for sharing the "bits" as you get them done--it's awesome to see how other artists put things together! =D= )! Wonderful stuff (and I still adore your use of color... *sigh* :D )!

FF

22. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    This is great stuff you got going on there Blue. I love the colors you have for the two YV, though I can't remember now who they're suppose to be in the Yuuzhan'tar thread. [face_blush] I likes how the spikes and the tattoos stand out yet blend with the YV on the throne. Though with those spikes, I wonder how does the guy can sleep.

And I never knew that purple would make an pleasing color for vonduun crab armor. It looks pleanty good on her and it reminds me of what Major Jean Villeneuve from The Patriot once said. "If I die I will die well dressed.".

Now I be wondering how my fella will turn out. :D That and the Jedi who's seen his last day.

23. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Heya and thanks muchly :) I have mostly been keeping busy with private projects but thought it was about time I did some fan art.
    The human slave there is Yuuzhan'tar's most regular human visitor, and boy does he look put out there [face_laugh]

As for what I used in photoshop, it was just one of the default brushes that came with the CS4 edition, a hard edged round brush aprox size 5. Be sure to keep the brush dynamics on for tapered finishes on certain parts of the sketch. I have actually found I had the same problem with photoshop with the prior editions I had used, drawing straight onto it was a pain in the posterior because of jagged edges or too much pixelation/smudging - so I had always stuck to corel painter. But if you can get hold of CS4 I highly recommend it!
    The original sketch of the piece was done on a napkin, so I just used that as a reference as it didn't scan too well.

Thanks very much! :D It is the largest project I have undertaken since opening myself to requests lol, initially a few people (including myself) questioned my sanity after the last gimungous request which took about 2 months to finish, but this is going along at a quite nice steady pace. I hope to have my own character in there somewhere, finished soon. The backgrounds have been interesting to create, because I have been making my own textures for the first time in ages, using a process similar to what they use when texturing in computer games. :)
    Thanks again for stopping by!

[face_laugh] Ok, here's a recap lol. The top guy with all the spikes is jhc36, and the female in purple armour is Kecen's Elmira Val.
    I have just about finished my own character, but the oozhith she's wearing is proving a bit of a challenge, cos I wanted it to have an organic feel with veins in the non-coral parts. [face_thinking]
    And thankyee kindly! Yes purple was an odd choice for the armour, but it was what I have used in the past on that character, so I decided to opt out of red or simply black for her, make her stand out a bit more as she is so far away from the viewer's perspective :D
    Caedus isn't looking happy is he? *snicker* let the infidel hurling begin! XD

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great characters and colours. The finished set looks very interesting.

25. Blue_but_beautiful

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks very much Early Bird :) Well, I fianlly finished that large image I was working on, here is the final article! This was in response to the idea of sketching every regular at the EUC thread "Yuuzhan'tar" as their Yuuzhan Vong persona.

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/YuuzhantarFinalVersion1Jay.jpg]
    With Text (Left to right - Aspiration, YuuzhanVong_Rule, Caedus1138, jhc36, Me, Kecen with her pet Yammosk, Black-Dog)

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/bluebutbeautiful/YuuzhantarGroupPic.jpg]
    Without text

And to pass the time between finishing this and working, I started to play around with some markers too...
    http://blue-but-beautiful.deviantart.com/art/Alt-Tactics-Markers-123048200

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.