main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BlueScreen Lighting

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kessno, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kessno

Kessno Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2007
    Hey there,

Basicly, I have a few questions regarding bluescreen lighting. I have a bluescreen set up on the wall in my garage, and I have two 500watt worklamps (one on each side) lighting it. They're set back about 4-5 feet, at an angle, and it looks lit evenly. I'm standing about, 5-6 feet from the bluescreen. The camera is sitting back about 12 feet from the wall, and I have a key light for myself.

My problem is, once my camera records it, it doesn't look lit evenly, and I don't really understand why, as there's plenty of light in there. I'm just shooting with a Standard-Def MiniDV camcorder, so there's of course artifacting, and whatnot. I don't expect the quality to be perfect, I was just wondering if there was a way I can improve it, or just "roll with the punches" for now. (I've white-balanced it, and I've locked the Iris for the bluescreen color)

[image=http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/4/6/15/kessno/f_bluescreenm_07872e3.jpg]

Thanks
    -Kessno

2. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Is your lighting diffused?

3. Kessno

Sep 19, 2007
    No, the worklamps are hitting it straight on...

4. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007

Try 1000 watts on each side of the bluescreen.

I used 500 watts on each side, but it wasn't enough, so I got
    more lights.

Hook up your camera to a monitor so you can see what the
    bluescreen looks like on tv and adjust the lighting from there.

Are you sure bluescreen is better for your project than greenscreen?

[face_peace]

5. Kessno

Sep 19, 2007
    That's a good idea, I've got a small TV I can stick out there to use for that.

Actually, I could probably use either one,(bluescreen or greenscreen) but since I went to all the trouble setting this one up, might be kinda nice to get it working right. Plus I'll be rather good with lighting once I figure this out. (At least, I hope)

6. DetFilms

DetFilms Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    If you can, add some fluorescents. Even the twisty-bulbs in a clamp light help. They give a better fill and a more diffuse light. For a bluescreen, "bright" is less important than "even."

7. drewjmore

drewjmore Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 15, 2007
    I got good results with just work lights and some of these. They sell them at my neighborhood home depot.

I sawed one up into 4 pieces, and hung those from the wire-frame shield on the light-heads. Watch where you do the sawing, though, that stuff chips & cracks all over. An abrasive-wheel blade would have worked better than a regular circluar saw, but I was too lazy to swap in a new blade.

[image=http://www.lightingdiffusers.com/images/assets/wraps.gif]

You also need to make sure they never touch the housings of the lamps, or they get melty.

8. TaunTaunHerder

TaunTaunHerder Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 26, 2007
    Light up the area around all the edges and corners of the
    bluescreen to avoid having dark edges and corners.

You don't want a gradient of well-lit bluescreen in the middle to
    darker near the edges and corners.

It's harder to key that way. [face_thinking]

9. Kessno

Sep 19, 2007
    Yeah, it's a pain lol. Even with professionals I guess it takes alot of work, it's just not a 'point with color-dropper' and voila! I think I've found in After Effects that several Color Keys, and a Color Range work fairly well. With the aide of a garbage matte too. Hopefully there won't be much rotoscoping involved, although sometimes you have too I guess.

10. backdeskproductions

backdeskproductions Jedi Master star 3

Aug 17, 2007

haha so true. We've even had one start to catch fire on us...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.