main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive BLUEWORLDS (Ugnaught concept WIP 2/19/06)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by SIUEA_DOOGUAS, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

SIUEA_DOOGUAS Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    [image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/IOTA.0028A.gif]

system: Flarestar system (Expansion Region)
    planet: Aridus
    species: Chubbit

In the "EGP&M" book, the Chubbits are illustrated to appear like bipedal frog/salamander men. When an "alien" or references appear too obvious, i find it easier to work from scratch to design a new concept.
    -b

2. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    [image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/IOTA.0027A.gif]

system: Both system (Mid Rim)
    planet: Bothawui
    species: Krak'jya

personally, this first concept for a krak'jya is still too dog-like. I'll probably have to work on this one a bit more.
    -b

3. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    [image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/IOTA.0029.gif] [image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/IOTA.0029A.gif]

system: Honoghr system (Outer Rim Territories)
    planet: Honoghr
    species: Noghri

This is a concept of a Noghri warrior that I am working on right now. -blueworlds

4. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Seriously, your creatures are awesome. You should be very proud of your work. It's very difficult to create things that are obviously not something we would ever be able to see in real life, but they still look as though they could exist in reality.

I also like how they seem to incorporate animals that we are familiar with, like the Chubbit that has facial features like a gibbon.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I love looking at your work. When I first found Fan Art, your pictures were the ones that made me really sit up and take notice of the forum, and it's great that you are posting regularly again.

6. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    I enjoy viewing your work, its really very beautiful, it has clear details, excellent shading, cool stlye to it and you've posted a lot so I always have something to look at, keep em coming!lol
    -Arsnl

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, man--I really like the Noghri! The form drawing you've done is wonderful: very loose and yet very descriptive of the power in that body--and the details on the head...awesome!! It's like I could reach out and touch that "pebbly" skin (although I probably wouldn't...might lose a hand... ;) )... Well done!

FF

8. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    wicktone, soitcometothis, Darth_Arsnl, & FalconFan:

Thank you for posting on my thread! I am flattered that you guys take the time to look and write about my drawings. I am designing a "homage" of sorts to Ralph McQuarrie's 20ct print folios, but it won't surface until late this fall(hopefully by Halloween). Vast as this particular fan-project appears, I am also going to be storyboarding the DUNE universe. For the past four years, I have also been working on the bones of my own sci-fi space opera, The Arks of the Viator.
    There are years of artwork to complete and I am glad that I have some interest in what I am doing! Thanks!

-blueworlds (Jorge Alegria)

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    OMG, you've really taken on a tremendous amount of work for yourself with all those projects! I really, really admire those who can commit to such long-term work (I'm lucky to stay focused enough to finish individual pieces! lol!), and to such a huge volume of work as you have going. I would imagine Ralph McQuarrie would love to see your "homage" when it's done--your concepts certainly do justice to the inspiration of his work, and I'm sure he will be very honored! :D Just another quick question: do you do any of this work for pay, or is this all a "labor of love?" If it's the latter, I respect you even more than before! ;) Looking forward to future posts!

FF

10. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    FalconFan: Thanks for the post! I do have a 10+year professional fine art reputation that occasionally rewards me with a purchase every now and then. The stuff that you guys are seeing is totally fanart to some, to me the work is like visual adaptations (like Peter Jackson doing Kong or LOTR, except I can draw and design). These sci-fi side-projects are purely a "labor of love" that I take very seriously. Artistically, I have been digging deep in my influences from the past and trying to be more sincere about my artwork. I do read Star Wars, Dune, and other sci-fi novels during my breaks/lunch at my job which is a huge boost of mental and visual stimulation to want to go home and get to work. I do collect SW toys(vehicles), they make great reference models to draw.
    When I was a kid, I used to collect insects and birdwatch with the local Audobon society. I was always interested in biology,art, and SW during school. I grew up looking at "The Art of.. books" all the time. I did major in art during my college years. Unfortunately, I never was able to finish, but I did end up in the Permanent Collection at the Art Museum of South Texas back in '95 and now, I am a formidable character, known as "The Master" here in our little scene in Corpus Christi. I recently organized the collaborative "residence" where we have one-night exhibits featuring exclusive new work from the best contemporary artists working in our city.
    So FalconFan, now you know a little more about the artist behind SIUEA_DOOGUAS!
    Please feel free to ask questions about my work!
    -jorge alegria

11. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    That's awesome, mate. Very ambitious. I always look forward to seeing the new creatures you come up with and they never disappoint.

12. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    wicktone: thanks for the reply! i'm glad you enjoy viewing my work!
    -ja

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek: **salutes "The Master"**

Wow! That's quite a "resume," j-a! I'm so impressed when people really pursue their talents, as you quite obviously have! Thanks for sharing all of that--and for sharing your work with us here! It's an honor to have you in our little "community!" :D

FF

14. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    thanks falconfan for that last reply! i've started work again on revisions. here is one of the new concepts. more to follow...

[image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/SW.0001.jpg]

system: Prindaar System
    planet: Antar Four
    species: Gotal (male)

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yay!! The return of the Master of Alien Species!! It's great to see you posting again, j_a!

The Gotal study is wonderful, as with all your work: for some reason, I really like the way you detail one part of the creature, yet leave the rest as conceptual--it seems to really add to the feeling of watching how you go about creating these wonderful pieces! The detailing on the facial fur and horns is beautiful, and I love the way his hand is sort of balancing his crouching posture--the entire figure looks so believable! Great job, as always--and it's wonderful to have you back! :p

FF

16. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    THANK YOU, FalconFan! i appreciate your interest in my work. i worked on this yesterday.

[image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/SW.0002.jpg]

this is an initial concept for an original species. there are still major changes i am currently making to this idea and the Gotal concept. this new design represents a female. there will be more wattles and warts hanging along the neck area and i'm not so sure about fur yet. i'm designing a group of species that have similar build but the females will have different cartilage-like hoods/masks growing from their skulls. i thought i'd share step-by-step how this particular alien concept will be conceived. -ja

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Awesome!!! This thing looks so...possible!! The tusks/teeth are vaguely reminiscent of a wild boar, but everything else looks completely unique! Very interesting bony structures around the head, and the smaller eyes and large nostrils suggest it might hunt more by scent than sight... Is it a climber...? With the long, long limbs, I wondered about that--totally cool foot, too (it reminds me in a way of that mechanical "claw" that served as General Grievous' foot, lol!). This one is really unique--it'll be fun to see how you "adorn" the female vs. the male! Kudos on yet another fabulous creature (and Lucas really needs to get you into his "Creature Shop!" ;) )!

FF

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I love your pencils - as always, you draw with such style. Nice to see you posting in here again.

19. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Beautiful collection of work here, simply a marvel of drawing and concept skills. You should be extremely proud of yourself for this magnificent portfolio borne out of your 'labour of love'. :) And that is the important thing here, it is obvious that you enjoy this work very much, it is seen in the imagination and exploration of every concept. It is obvious you are very knowledgeable in existing animal/creature anatomy and function but you take this further to create whimiscal creatures and animals are very believable but so different. Gorgeous work and hope to see some more. Have you considered (or maybe you already have?) creating a book of your designs like Terryl Whitlatch. Mmm...that's such a beautiful book, and with the reptile textured cover its truly a marvel. :)

20. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    THANK YOU, soitscometothis and Corellian_Rogue!

i'm happy to be posting here again. i'm also grateful to receive your feedback on my work. yes, i too own Terryl Whitlatch's great The Wildlife of Star Wars. it's interesting to note that it's possibly the most artwork compiled in an entire book from a single concept artist working for Star Wars that i'm aware of. i would like to put a book together someday but i still have a few years of work before i can even start. yeah, i know...website!

i have been researching sci-fi art in general the past few years. Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials by Wayne Douglas Barlowe/Ian Sumners(Workman Publishing,1979) and Vincent Di Fate's Infinite Worlds:The Fantastic Visions of Science Fiction Art(Penguin Studio,1997) are a couple of recent finds i'm enjoying.
    if your interested in the history of sci-fi art, Infinite Worlds is a jewel to own! -ja

21. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    [image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/IOTA.0027A.gif]
    [image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/SW.0003.jpg]
    here is a new concept for the krak'jkya -ja

22. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    These are really great. I like the Chubbit the most, I think. It looks like a cross between a goose and a baboon. A Baboose? No. A Gooboon!! Pardon me whilst I crack myself up. sorry. These are really creative and very well drawn!

23. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    thanks cheveyo for your compliments! those names are funny!
    here is a revised species from the famous cantina scene...

[image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/SW.0004.jpg]

system: ANDO
    planet: Ando
    species: Aqualish (Quara race)

more to follow -ja

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, j_a, the Aqualish are just beautiful--it never ceases to amaze me how much you seem to be able to capture about a creature/species with just a few graceful lines... The sense of their size and volume is great, even without a lot of shading. Marvelous... I love the detailing in the appendages, with the claws and the long "fingers"--they remind me of walrus fins for some reason. Another wonderful piece!

FF

25. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

Feb 8, 2004
    thanks falconfan for your last post. i really had lots of fun designing a new version of Ponda Baba. imagine that version bugging Luke at the bar!
    here is another new concept...

[image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/SW.0005.jpg]

[image=http://www.blueworldsfanfilms.com/SW.0005A.jpg]

this one will be a new species. i just don't have any info on this one yet... -ja

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.