main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Board Announcement: New Header Navigation Layout

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kadue, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    Kadue: Just a few constructive comments about the Episode III (Spoilers) navigation...

The Official Padme's Fate Thread, and the Official Sifo-Dyas Thread links I feel are not nessecary. If people want to find them, they can look in the Esential guide thread. Secondly, if you feel it's worthy of it (and I do :D), then could you please link to the *** The Episode 3 Spoiler Forum FAQ *** - Ask your questions here thread? I feel that it's quite handy for new users.

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And realize, there may still be some glitches in the whole thing. Kadue just found this little toy a couple days ago. He's yet to become a master. As it gets used more people will get better at it.

3. V Wing Fighter Pilot

V Wing Fighter Pilot Jedi Master star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Stick out more??? I took a minute to realize what was going on when i saw the change... I noticed it right away, maybe its cuz i have 6 forums open at once. Yodajeff and I were talkin via MSN, and we agree that newbies will prolly pass over it anyway. But thanks! :p

4. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I agree with jediguy in that I don't think we need all that info at the bottom of the screen as well. Just keep it at the top.

5. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    As DDH said, I discovered all of this about 2 days ago, so there are still a few things that we will have to get sorted, and I've coded for as many forums as I could and that were requested.

Crimson - Will look at it.

Any more suggestions on threads to be linked (and this goes for other people too), please PM me with them after tomorrow (I have an exam in the morning so I won't be doing all that much tonight) and I'll look at it. Also, this is something that any manager can fix, so you can also go to one of the managers of specific forums if there are little things like wrong links that need to be fixed. The Welcome forum is also on the agenda, I just forgot.

Edit: Again, we can't separate them. Whatever appears in the header, will appear at the bottom. Maybe we could ask for zerosleep to fix that so we can code for them separately if he can slip it in next time he changes things for IGN, but we're stuck with it for the moment.

6. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Oh ok, I didn't know about the separation issue. Good work, Kadue!

7. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Thank you so much!!!!!

Hopefully redundancy will be completely eliminated now that those links are there. Thanks so much for adding this feature, I really think this is going to help out the forum. Thanks!!

8. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    "Hopefully redundancy will be completely eliminated now that those links are there."
    Bahaha...nice thought, but futile.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    This new header layout looks like it's going to be helpful, especially the fact that the Spoiler Regulations and TimeTales are a part of it.

10. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    who says this will combat redundancy? no, it'll just make the forums harder to navigate for us senile peeps who keep getting sent to threads and not the front page. //lauhgs at self

good work, though. points for optimism going out to all of you. :p

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Can't say I like it. Sorry, I just don't.

12. darth_fett

darth_fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 1999
    excellent idea

13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    It's a nice addition.

Literature needs a fix. The link "Literature Index and FAQ" is a link only to the lit. index. I think this is leftover from when it linked to wampas EU Index and FAQ main page. This should be split to "Literature Index" and "Literature FAQ" with links to each page separately. Keep the "EU Index and FAQ" link though too.

14. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
  15. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Well, I don't like to brag about my ideas.... ;)

I thought it was something long overdue, but I felt folks probably did think of it before but there was technical issues back then.

About two or three months ago Talon Squadron Leader asked us at Writer's Resource/Fan Fiction how to improve things on the Boards and I suggested roll bar links like the ones in the corners, and then I suggested links.

I'm glad it worked. Yup, everything will have bugs but like before these things do need to take time.

16. Master-Yoda

Master-Yoda Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
  17. pkloa

pkloa Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2002
    It's ok, i guess. a little cluttered, but as long as you know what you're looking for, you're good.

*lights up a deathstick*

18. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Dont fell bad Pooja, Im a sorta-old-bie and I dont see any changes at all. [face_plain]
    Are we supposed to? ?[face_plain] All I see is a little bar on the bottem of my screen that says something like his:
    Espress your feelings about the new changed Navigation Bars.

I dont see anything new and amazing? Am I supposed to?

19. Celestial

Celestial Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    Great. More buttons to push. [face_plain]

[face_laugh]

20. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Right below the "Forum Announcement", there is a new listing of the important threads in that forum. This is only in certain forums (AOTC, Community, etc). It currently isn't implemented in this forum.

21. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Kadue: I could be mistaken, but I swear that the output source for each page on the boards has code at the bottom that can take away the redundant links up top. I'll check into it asap.

And if that's true, are you actually changing the board's format sheet to add these things up top? If so, and if as I think there are the codes at the bottom that can take care of the mess down there, could you fix it?

Okay, so I went back and checked. I was wrong. My bad.
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't y'all admins set the following HTML out?

<!-- hiarchy table start -->

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="4">
    <tr align="left" valign="middle">
    <td class="MainMenuRow">

[<a class="MainMenuLink" href="http://theforce.net/">TheForce.net</a>]

&nbsp;<a class="MainMenuLink" href="/">Jedi Council Forums</a>

&raquo;

&nbsp;Choose A Board
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

<!-- hiarchy table end -->

<!-- global menu table start -->

<tr align="left" valign="middle">
    <td class="MainMenuRow">
    <a class="MainMenuLink" href="#"></a>

Logged in as:
    <a href="/user.asp?usr=632251"><span class="AuthorLink">RidingMyCaroselOnYou</span></a> |

<a class="MainMenuLink" href="/login.asp?action=logoff">Logoff</a> |

<a class="MainMenuLink" href="/pm_unread.asp">Private Messages</a>
    |

<a class="MainMenuLink" href="/user_options.asp">Options</a> |

<a class="MainMenuLink" target="_top" href="/help/">Help</a>

<!-- extra system menu items go here -->

| <a class="MainMenuLink" href="http://world.altavista.com/">Translation</a>

| <a class="MainMenuLink" href="http://boards.theforce.net/help/default.asp?goto=help_faces.asp">Faces</a>
    | <a class="MainMenuLink" href="http://boards.theforce.net/help/default.asp?goto=faqs%2Easp%23htmlcodes">Markup Codes</a>
    | <a class="MainMenuLink" href="http://www1.theforce.net/JC_Archives/">Archives</a>
    | <a class="MainMenuLink" href="http://boards.theforce.net/tos.asp">Terms of Service</a>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

and then this..

<!-- sub-menu table start -->
    <tr align=left valign=middle>
    <td class="MainMenuRow">
    <a class="MainMenuLink" href="/active_topics.asp">Active Topics List</a> |
    <a class="MainMenuLink" href="/users_online.asp">Users Online</a> |

Total Boards: <span class="MainMenuRowAlt">227</span> |
    Total Messages: <span class="MainMenuRowAlt">7,425,847</span>
    (<span class="MainMenuRowAlt">13,668</span> posted today)
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    <!-- sub-menu table end -->

Because if you guys actually set that code in yourselves, couldn't y'all just set in the new threads links in the mix on a separate table?

Oh and by the by... when are y'all going to add "The Amphitheatre" to the pull down menu?

22. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Must. Push. Buttonsssssssssssss

23. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    The new help, umm, for lack of a better word, "features" just confuse me and make me wonder if Im logged on anymore.

We could have used this more when we had that rush of newbies back in April, and May.

24. Hello_Yo

Hello_Yo Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    I don't like it. Too cluttered, too squished.

25. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    *rolls eyes*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.