main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Board Announcement: New Header Navigation Layout

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kadue, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Good idea, love it, well done.

Tayschrenn

2. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Takes a little getting used to, but I like it.

One suggestion:- in the Literature forum, we have the links to Timetales and the Timeline. Is there any chance of a link to the CUSWE?

3. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Interactive history my a$$. I wanted flashing lights, dancing bobas and slow mo bannings and all i got was this lousy t-hread.

Otherwise ahm doon wit it, och that oi ahm.

At this rate you'll make it past n00b status in no time, kadue me young lad.

4. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    I'm liking this new feature. Seems really useful.

Erik

5. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    Looks great. Should save new users a couple of posts looking for the information.

Bravo! :cool:

6. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    Good work. I like it! :D

7. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    This is fantastic!!!!!
    It's a HUGE help in the activities forums, especially FanFilms, to have usefull reference threads in the header!

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun!

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    We tried to pick the main threads that are often referred to. I think we managed to get the right one's for the AOTC and Episode III Forums. The biggest problems in there are questions being asked that have been asked many times before, redundant threads, and other such topics. It will take a while to read through the 100 or so posts in here. So if you have a specific comment and/or recommendation for the headers in the movie forums, please post in here or PM me. Thanks. :)

9. Booster-1986

Booster-1986 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2001
    Sorry to be a naysayer, but i find that the header bar(s) are getting too complicated .. too much information. the best way would be to simplify the headers ... ideally pop-ups or rollovers ... I say this from experience as someone who does this in real life.

Having said that. the goal is one I supoport.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Point taken. I'm not sure if the system has rollover capabilities programmed into it yet. I will say that in terms of moderating and providing links, the headers are extremely helpful. It essentially made the most commonly used threads "sticky".

11. aardvark

aardvark Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2002
    A great feature, but it doesn't look too good on my 800*600 screen. On the AOTC page, the headers fill the screen, you have to scroll down to find the threads.

12. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Ah, I'm glad this has been added. it's cool. I'm still getting used to it though - pages keep loading and i keep thinking 'argh! where'd that thing come from!?' ;) :D

13. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    It does look really weird, I think they should be below the navigation row...

Anyway, it's a good concept, but I don't think that the links should extend past "Terms of Service". Everyone used to ToS spilling into another row won't be bothered by it, and those who don't have ToS on another row won't be.

¤Night

14. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Kadue - I know almost nothing about HTML, but you said that you can't separate the header and footer code. How is it that at the top, after the link to the forum, you have the title of the thread, but not at the bottom? Again, I know next to nothing about coding, but it would seem to me that if you could have one at the top and not at the bottom, you could have these at the top and not at the bottom.

Just a thought.

Mel

15. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    The 'Forum Announcements' seem a bit unnecessary in certain forums. Are these removable from the 'sticky' links at the top, or are we going to be looking at the same forum announcement for the next few months?

16. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    No, the Announcement section can be removed. I just put that generic one up across all the forums so that everyone could see we had the option, and to direct all discussion here instead of separate threads in every forum.

17. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    I like the new layout. It puts answers to questions right at the top and bottom of the page so people shouldn't miss them.

18. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    l think its great!

19. Padawn_JB

Padawn_JB Jedi Master star 3

Mar 16, 2002
    It's cool. Although I was like 'what is going on?' when I saw all these little extra things on my screen. :)

20. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Sounds pretty cool. Good job, guys.

21. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    Looks decent to me...

22. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I really like it, it has more of an edgy look and with the new header, i doubt any newbie can resist but read it. :)

23. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Thanks Kadue. I like the new layout, the pinned threads are a big help. Some forums don't benefit from them as much as others though. I don't think they're really necassary in Community (as anything of importance would be in Communications or Welcome), but it's really, really nice having them in Collecting. :D

24. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I think it's a great idea. Keep it up.

25. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Give me a week and I'll love this. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.