main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Board Announcement: New Header Navigation Layout

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kadue, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sethesh

Sethesh Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    Pretty nice. Now, howabout a search feature?

2. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Here goes:

On the subject of why the navigation links are at the bottom, it's because when the reply page comes up, or a thread, the board automatically adds the thread title, or "Post A Reply" to the very end of the header. Meaning that in the trial ones, we had an announcement that had the title of the page at the end of them, or at the end of the links. Unfortunately to keep it looking somewhat logical, we have to keep the navigation at the bottom. Sorry, I agree it would be best being further up.

RMCOY - Unfortunately we can only change the first table for individual forums. To change the second would cause the changes to be done board-wide. Just the way that IGNBoards are coded. If you want, we can continue discussion via PM. You've definately got some good ideas and it'll be easier that way. :)

Dan - There is a basic, and I mean basic one done for the Games forum (it has all of two links). jp was planning on re-doing the FAQ and index now that we can link to them separately, and had planned to give me his list today, but unfortunately due to other circumstances it will have to wait a couple of days. No biggie really. BTW, PM me if there's something that I miss when looking into Games.

Drop-downs - I don't think that I can code that stuff into the header, plus it'll look a little wierd.

Search feature - That requires full access to the board code, which is not something that we have.

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    All right, thanks Kadue. And I'll do that.

4. Sethesh

Sethesh Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    Ah, well that answers my question. Thanks

5. JediWendy

JediWendy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm sorry, but I don't like the new layout. It's too busy and there's too much at the top that isn't necessary. I prefer the old headers.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    THANK YOU GUYS.

THANK YOU.

I... love... you...

Seriously, the boards needed this SO badly.

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    well, the new format is interesting and all that... but there is just one glitch that i noticed... someone sent me a prinate message JUST as the new format was implemented.... now it constantly says i have 1 new message... and it JUST WON'T GO AWAY!!! *sigh*

any ideas how to rectify this?

thanks,
    -B

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Just send yourself a PM, and read it - that should fix the problem. :)

9. Darth_Flange

Darth_Flange Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2002
    I HATE change, but I'll get use to it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;)

10. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    I do not hate it, but personally I think it looks a bit too cluttered. Needs more space on it as it becomes confusing on where to navigate to.

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I'm working on ways to reduce the clutter, so give me a little time. :)

12. DARTH_ARAKIS

DARTH_ARAKIS Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I also think it looks a bit cluttered. Also I'm not fond of the purple text, but that is a personal preference.

13. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    can you put This thread in the Welcome New Users forum? I think it would be helpful.

14. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    This new stuff is great! :D

15. JediCouncilBoy4

JediCouncilBoy4 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm confused????? I read the opening and I still don't get it. What are you guys talking about?

16. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I think it's a good idea, but like LadyVader said, it looks too cluttered. How about moving "Translation", "Archives" and "Terms of Service" to the bottom navigation panel? I doubt that many people would use them.

17. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, I'm so confused. That's why I'm still a padawan.

18. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The header looks a lot better in this forum, compared to AOTC and YJCC. This is because all of the new links fit on one line at 1024x768 resolution. I think this could be fixed in the AOTC forum by changing "TheForce.net Episode II" to "TFN Episode II" or "TheForce.net AOTC".

19. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Possibly. I'm going to be looking at the layout at the different resolutions that most people use to get the look right. Most of them will just require a little renaming of the thread links to make them fit.

20. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    I wouldn't mind a link to TF.N's main page. I think there used to be one. but now I gotta go back to the 'pick a board' page to click it. I know I could just click from my bookmarks.... but you get the drift. ;)

21. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    AMAZING IDEA, FIRST ONE EVER.

I was wondering if it possible to change the order in which the maroon bars at the top are displayed.

In my opinion it would be easier to use if they went in the order
    1. Top - Logged in as: MushroomHead bar (everyone should have one of those)
    2. Jedi Council Forums » Administration » JC Communications »
    3. Jedi Council | Board-wide Announcements | Informational Threads | Current Administrators | "Your Friendly Neighborhood Mods" - "sticky topics" bar
    4. Post new etc..

That would make more sense to me considering how I use the boards.

Thankyou

Spamazing

22. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Kadue, is it possible to put similar links in the Fan Force Forums? Mostly for things like the Introduction and FAQ type threads. I can harass one of our City Reps to make an 'official' request if needed. ;)

Thanks!

23. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    There's a "Board Hearder submissions" thread in the CityRep forum. Ask your CR to post there. :)

24. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Hmmmm......interesting. Thanks for the info.

25. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    where is my games header ><

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.