main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Board Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DarthDurance, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDurance

DarthDurance Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2004
    I am a board game freak. I like new, modern type board games like Thinkblot and Outburst and classics like Monopoly and Clue. A small group of my buddies from work and I like to get together on occation and play the game of world domination, Risk. We've played for the past probably 3 years here and there. I also played since I was a kid. I have yet to EVER win this damn game. Does anyone play Risk? Does anyone have strategy tips? We all talk alot of trash and I'm guilty too, but I need to beat these SOBs. I hate loosing. If you don't play Risk what games do you enjoy.

2. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I've only played it like twice, mostly cuz I'm so busy and not around many people who'd want to play it, but I LOVE RISK. I've been wanting to get it for close to two years now, but I'm not sure I should, due to aforementioned reasons.

3. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Board games? Wassat?

*goes back to playing games on PC*

4. LukeSkiwalker

LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2004
    Risk That game has very few tactics it's mostly up to the dice to win the game, Actually I've never lost, but I still hate the game it takes way to long. Personally I'd rather do somthing out-side rather than sit around for five hours Trying to take over the world. My kind of board game is Stratego, Balderdash, or Chess.

5. REBO1971

REBO1971 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2004
    I have never played Risk. I enjoy board games a lot, with Clue being my favorite. I also enjoy Stratego (both the classic version and Star Wars), Star Wars Epic Duels, Balderdash and Taboo (a fun group game).

6. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I adore Risk, though I don't own it and don't get to play it nearly as often as I'd like. I like board games that allow goofy fun. Epic Duels is so much fun with a group of Star Wars fans, especially if you're all in a silly mood. :D I've enjoyed pretty much every board game I've ever played. I love Monopoly, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, Pictionary, Taboo, Boggle, etc. I also love playing card games, my favorite of all being euchre. :)

7. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    prolly one of the craziest games i've played recently was called "apple and oranges"... not a board game but a pretty hip card/table-top game... pretty open player count and all kinds o fun stuff...

there's another one that's pretty cool to, but can't remember what it's called, something like "braincramp" or "brainfreeze" or something...

as you can tell, i'm undergoing both of the aforementioned conditions at the moment...

-b-

8. DarthDurance

Mar 29, 2004
    No tactics in Risk? If your armies are spread all over the map see where that gets you. There is strategy with knowing your probs and stats of die rolls, knowing when to stop attacking, and when to make an alliance and when to break one. Little known fact, the members of Delta have been rumored to play Risk in there down time. Well Tuesday night adorned in a Vader shirt, Vader's Tie Fighter bowers (I had pants over the boxers), and using the black army I won my first risk game (and yes I was also humming the march as I wiped out the last army). Much beer was drank and we even had enough time to hit the bar for a victory lap. Clue is great, I like Master Detective. A good party game is Left, Right, Center. All you need is the dice and $3 to start.

9. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Board games? Wassat?
    The ONLY kinda games you could play on Thursday, August 14, 2003 (BLACKOUT of 2003) ;)

I love playing RISK, I used to go over to a friends apartment 9in my complex) at kent...and we'd sit around and play RISK until 3AM.

If your armies are spread all over the map see where that gets you.
    Tell that to "Krash the Konquerer"[/i]...I held onto Europe for 3 hours...and wittled my enemy's forces down over time, then took over their lands. Of course I got tired, and a little slap-happy, and my luck ran out. But the plan was sound!

10. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I am into any board game, but I think Risk is one of my favorites ;)

11. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

For those Risk fans out there, you gotta try Risk 2210.

Me and my buddies here in Da Boigh find it to be FAR superior to the original version. It's far more strategic, chaotic, and unpredictable.

The basic rules are the same as Classic Risk, but with a different map that includes underwater cities, randomly assigned "irradiated lands," and even the MOON! Plus you get to play with commanders, who get to use special commander cards (including Nuclear Weapons), and who sometimes attack/defend with 8-sided dice. And to keep the length of the game down, there's a 5 turn cap, and you bid for the player order in each turn cycle.

It's totally rockin'. Playing Classic Risk just seems so lackluster to me now. If you guys ever get the chance, I recommend seeking it out. I can't imagine you'd regret it.

Good times for all,
    Yours Truly

12. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm a huge Risk fan, but I must say Risk 2210 beats the snot out of reqular Risk...one time I controlled the whole moon...

13. GenerationX7

GenerationX7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2002
    I never played Risk. I always wanted to though. If you are looking for a good, funny and probably the last kind of strategy to win the game. Just take a example from the show Undergrads. KAMAKAZI!

14. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I've had fun with the SW Life game :D

15. DarthDurance

Mar 29, 2004
    I have 2210, but all of my buddies are too lazy to learn the rule changes...so in my game closet it sits.

16. Beltayn

Beltayn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2004
    The last board game I played involved dice, cards, counters, liquor, myself and three women...:D

Risk is good. I also like Battleship and Axis & Allies.

17. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I love playing board games. I've never played Risk, though. I don't really think that I have a favorite, but I do enjoy playing Monopoly, Life and Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.