main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Board Issues

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    About the disappearance of the TFN news box down the bottom of our board: when the code was updated, I think there was no longer any room for two news boxes down the bottom, hence the TFN one was replaced with the 'NZ News' one.

That NZ News box is hosted on the starwars.co.nz website. No regular vistor here has direct access to that site, as far as I know, but I'm sure they'd be willing to change it if we emailed them. Our forum's banners are hosted there as well.

I guess the question is, how much to we like that NZ news box?

Is it better that we get that replaced with the TFN news box, and tell star.wars.co.nz we no longer use it?

Or would you prefer it to stay, and we email the star.wars.co.nz webmasters, to update it?

2. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
  3. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    with the lack of updates on the swnz website i cant c much point for the news box if the site had more regular updates it would be more better

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Exactly. We need to figure where that NZ news box gets its updates from, and then all make an effort to keep the news database supplied with local info (even stuff from our "latest finds" thread, if at all possible...).

5. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    whose this all u talk of ive never meet him before

6. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

I can't see much point in having two boxes. The SWNZ website is hardly ever updated (probably due to lack of news as well as the person's time) and using having a second box to show "news" from the message board it's on seems a little unnecessary - the latest finds goes to near the top when there's a find posted.

Having the official StarWars.com news might be a good idea, but from what I understand the second box is specific to the NZ message board, so someone (a "blue" person?) here would have to regularly update it.

7. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I couldn't care less. I havn't and don't read those boxes as I've always thought they were just silly "ads".

//shruggs shoulders//

Whatever you guys decide is fine... I guess.

8. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Is that SFL posting with Chan's username? :confused: Cause he sounds just like SFL.

I don't look at the news boxes either but if some people do, the TFN one should be enough. The NZ one was last updated last year for god's sake. 8-}

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    SFL's the only person I know here who spells 'shrug' with 2 g's.

Anyway, for those that never look at the news box - it's hardly surprising as it's never updated.

If it was current, then you'd look at it. Right?

10. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Riiigghhtt......

I think they're kinda handy for new people in the forums though, In fact I think that was how I discovered these boards, as they haven't been updated since 05/2002 and doesn't seem to have caused any major problems, do we really need to get too worked up about it?

11. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    umm, see the "Big Day Out thread" Kai posted.

Seriously didn't mean to post as Chansplace.

Sorry!!!

12. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I was just asked if it was possible for multiple boxes to appear, and the answer is yes, it definitely is. I didn't notice when updating the sections of the code that you guys had both news boxes, but it's easy for me to add them back in. Just tell me what you want, and approximately where. :)

13. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Thanks Kadue :D

I've had a look around the star-wars.co.nz website, and as far as I can tell, the only place that the NZ news box is located is here on our forum.

It makes it a little strange that there is a link to the NZ forums in the news box, I mean, if you're reading it, you're already here :)

I think it would be good if the contents of the NZ news box was changed so it contained the latest updates to the star-wars.co.nz website, instead of just forum links.

14. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey Guys,

That little news box was started quite a while ago. We still have it hosted on our site.
    If anyone has a server available for use at NZFF you can have all the files. This also applies for the banners too. The images are hosted on our site and you are more than welcome to have all of them too.

If you have server space let Kitt know, she can get in contact with me for the change over.

Hope all is going well with everyone here and that you all had a good and safe holiday.

15. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Okay, just an update:

I've found somewhere to host files, so hopefully it's going to work out.

The newest thing for the fanforce forums, is remotely hosting the style sheet, so the CRs and any other web-savvy members can change it when they like.

There's also a little javascript trick which allows us to change the announcement bar at the very top ... if I manage to get it working, we can use that for 'NZ news announcements'.

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    'NZ news announcements'

Like when The Warehouse is having a LOTR sale?

:D

17. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    No when like we have a lotr book burning

18. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    [face_laugh]

No offence to you both, but I don't think either is gonna happen. 8-}

19. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

A LotR fan burning might be a better idea. :p

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I think I'm feeling peckish?

Anyone else care for some Ewok steaks?

//glares at Buzz//

21. ACERIMMERROCKS

May 25, 2001
    Didnt know they made lotr colling devices they must be poo if people wanna burn um

22. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
  23. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    back on topic...

As an early campaigner for SWNZ, i remember there was once a vision to have SWNZ and FFNZ integrated, but I guess it just wasnt to be. Now that FFNZ is really a separate entity where SWNZ members 'hang out', it makes sense to leave the forum links in there. as there are few updates to SWNZ (and they appear on the homepage anyway) a link to the site should suffice.

If it can be updated regularly from now on, Fan Events (ie swapmeets, Premieres) can be announced/listed there as well as in the top bar.

24. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    Even without the new javascript header you can have announcements, though - a quick PM to me can have it changed in 5 minutes.

25. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    How do you guys feel about sticky threads? Love them or loathe them?

I was thinking a 'welcome new users' one might be a good idea, with a 'forum directory' included, so we can keep track of all the various threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.