main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Board stereotyping and Group flames: Where is the line? (Official Statement posted)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by _princess_leia_, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    We all know that flaming is against the ToS here on the JC and users are frequently edited for making derogatory remarks about individual users. That is not what I wish to bring up for discussion in this thread. I have recently become aware of a troubling, but seemingly common occurrence on at least one of the forums here. Users flaming large groups of posters and going unedited by mods who later posted in that same thread. Though no mods seems to aprove of this sort of Group flaming, none of them are doing anything about it either.

In this thread one poster says ?It?s the JCC; what else to I have to say?? Though not a direct flame, it hints at an underlying negative sentiment directed at the whole of the JCC.

In this thread the JCC is referred to by one user as the ?unwashed armpit of this site.? I have been a poster in the JCC since 2004 and I feel these hurtful comments directed at me and the people I post with and have come to be very fond of over the years.

Should this blatant flaming be allowed to continue in this manner?

Official Statement from Mod Squad:

[i]When the subject of the cultures of the various forums come up, remember this is not an us vs. them environment. We are all one big group of boards. Discuss the forums and their respective topics, and stay away from generalizations that target a particular forum in a negative fashion. If your comment is potentially insulting to a user or a group of users, or an entire forum, just don't post it. It could lead us into waters that are better left unsailed.

Treat the users in your fellow forums with respect, even if you disagree vehemently with them. If something would be edited as a flame were it directed at a single user, it will not be allowed when directed at a forum or a group of users. There is a line between discussing the state of things in a constructive manner and just trying to be insulting to a forum or group with that opinion. Know the difference and act accordingly. This has been discussed and agreed upon by the MS as a whole.[/i]

Point Given likes this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You have a point here. Will post my thoughts on the issue later.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I...eh... I don't think I'm going to be of much help here. I know other forums decently well because I used to post there, but I am mainly JCC, and I'm going to have to fall into the group of JCCers bothered by this forum-racism. Although it doesn't really bother me. I mean we make fun of WNU all the time.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    So it bothers you but it doesn't really bother you?

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Haha sorry, someone in the real world was talking to me while I was trying to type that.

I mean I don't think I can take too much of a modly attitude about this situation, because I fall into the group of users that are "mean JCCers". I can't offer too much advice to myself. BUT the situation itself has never bothered me so much in the past, because after all, being mean usually comes with a not-caring about what other forums think sort of attitude. The only thing that has really ever bothered me is when people say you need less brain cells or to turn your brain off or to be shallow in order to enjoy the JCC. We're just more down to earth with a different sense of humor.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Well, are the comments the problem or JCC's terrible reputation? And I really mean only the reputation, not The State of JCC Is Rotten?. The worst thing about its rep is that a lot of it is still based on 2003 or something. And maybe Comms.

7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I actually thought we've been really nice and welcoming to most newcomers for the last little bit. Well, at least to the ones we don't get pissed at and start huge Comms threads about.

8. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    The reputation of the JCC is a direct result of these sorts of malicious comments being allowed to continue. If people were not continually making remarks about how mean or "bad" the JCC is, the JCC would not have this sort of a reputation.

9. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    This.

That is a pretty harsh slap in the face and I, personally, think it was rude and unwarrented.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I agree that JCC has gotten a LOT better in terms of their negative image. I don't think comments like that are necessarily stuff we can just prohibit, but perhaps it's something that the mods of the forums stating that could take a bigger initiative to step in and ask people to not talk badly about other forums?

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    For the mostpart, you're probably right. But the 2nd example given in the OP was a recent new user who WAS treated shabbily and like a "n00b"

12. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's slightly ironic to see this hate and mean comments from people usually accusing JCC of being hateful and mean spirited.

13. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    For reference, the first thread that that person posted in the JCC is here. And this was the post:

Which immediately got a warning reply of:

The "bullied" user continued to take offense to many things that were said in the thread even after the reassurance that in the YJCC, things such as that are taken as jokes. In addition, that user continued to post in the YJCC thread even after posting the thread in WNU and replying to it several times. It doesn't seem to make sense for someone to continue posting somewhere where they have had such a bad experience.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ^I really don't know if that's a good example. That user just seemed to be overall uncomfortable with the subject matter for whatever reason, which is fine. They just weren't familiar with the JC sense of humour which can take some time to get used to but I've seen a lot of newbies adjust to it.

15. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I have never understood the reputation the YJCC has. Yes its a tough nut to crack and you certainly have to have thick skin and a sense of humour to last there, but frankly its tame when you compare it to other sites across the net, many of which are far more vicious and unfriendly.

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    For some reason JCC seems to be the only place where an unpleasant thread automatically equals a whole forum full of mean idiots. Yes, yes, I know, some people see the same horrible things every time they dare take a look at it, but... they kind of expect that already, so of course they'll find something. And then they tell new people, who will expect the same.

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    [comment removed]

Hmmmmm

Grow the **** up. It's a freaking messageboard, not the high schools most of you were emotionally tortured in, or the lack of any sort of sociability the rest of you that had to be home schooled.

R...J EDIT: Were you using this as an example to be discussed, it would be one thing. But as it was, this would be a flame.

18. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    Those quotes were not meant to be an example of the YJCC being flamed. That was just context for the second thread I linked as an example in the original post.

Which is why something should be done about the insulting way in which these few users speak about the JCC. New people come in and have one bad experience then go off and find the same people always willing to talk trash about a whole forum of users loosely based on a few posts that they probably misunderstood in the first place.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm wondering if anyone complaining has ever been anywhere else on the internet. It's sunshine and roses in the JCC compared to absolutely every other message board I've ever been a part of. Unwelcoming does not begin to describe them.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't see an issue with those comments mentioned in the original post. I don't see either as a flame and think we just need to grow a little thicker skin.

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  22. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Those comments are opinions. It's sad that one doesn't like the YJCC, but it's his/her opinion and opinions won't get edited.

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I agree with this completely.

24. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's not exactly in the spirit of maturity to wade in and take indiscriminate potshots at people who have done nothing more than ask a question.

It's funny. I remeber when you used to provide constructive answers (negative or positive) in Comms.

25. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    Flames are often one user's opinions of another and they are generally edited.

I find it funny that you would tell us to grow thicker skins while you coddle these poor new users who are hurt by the big bad YJCC.

edit: To clarify, the second line was not also directed at Skiara, it was directed at those who seem to think it is our problem that other users decide to make derogatory comments about us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.