main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph BOARDS MOVE:The Boards are Moving on 3/21/2012!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Sorry for the panic stricken headline, but, though I hope everyone in the Amp has been keeping up, I wanted to make this point one last time. The move is happening shortly; latest word is that it will be this month and perhaps just in a week or so!. There is really only one thing you need to know; if you do not have a current e-mail address that you can access in your profile, you will lose access to your account once the move happens. Please, for the love of God, add a good e-mail address to your profile now! Your password won't transfer, so the first time you login to the new boards, you'll have to do the whole password recovery thing and if you can't get to that e-mail address anymore, you will be definitively screwed.

If you don't, you could end up like Zaz. Remember Zaz? Yeah, he is no more because of this very issue. If you Amp folks need any more info, I recommend checking out this comprehensive guide from JCC.

Long story short, IGN is ready; we're waiting on a couple of hardware issues and then we're moving. A temp board will be set up; you'll have to reregister and nothing will be transferred from these boards to the temp boards, which are basically just holding cells. Once the boards are up on the new servers, everything should be good, all posts and threads transferred over, etc. Check the announcement banner at the top of the screen or go to Comms for more info. This should be pretty painless and you'll be able to get to the temp board and the new boards (once they're up) by typing in "boards.theforce.net" just like always. But it would be great if nobody got locked out of their account in the move; someone surely will though, so just don't let it be you! Make sure you've got a good e-mail addy and then sit back and enjoy the ride!

I'm sure you all knew about this already and with the announcement and Comms and such, this was probably unnecessary, but think of it as me bending over backwards to try to make sure everyone in the Amp is informed. No Amp Poster Left Behind! Tell all your friends!

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Thank you for humiliating me in public. :p

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I almost put it in the title. :p

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    The shame never endeth. :_|

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Uppers.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Uppers x 2.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I have a question, Mr. Speaker.

I can't change the private email on my user profile for whatever reason (whenever I try it goes mildly bat****).

However, in my notification settings, I do have an active email.

If for whatever reason I can't access that old private email address, will I too be a Zaz?

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Although the mod squad is trying to explore alternatives, at this point your password will not be transferred in the move, so the first time you log into the new boards (after the temp board) you'll have to initiate a password recovery, which will require you to access your e-mail.

9. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    LOL I was wondering who you were and what happened to Zaz.:p

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    We now have a by-God, set-in-stone, zero-hour date for the move.

Expect it to be cancelled any time now. :p

No, seriously, upping this one more time. The move is happening on 3/21, which is right around the corner. We are talking one week until the move as of right now. Once again, let me recommend that you go to the Guide to the Move in the JCC that I linked in the first post.

Bottom line, for you: Update your private e-mail address - if your private e-mail addy is no good when we move, you will be permanently locked out of your account. The first time you login at the new boards, you'll have to use the e-mail feature to recover your password before you can login, so if the e-mail in your private e-mail box is dead or no longer works, you are out of luck, my friends. And we don't want that.

Click the announcement at the very top of the screen for more details. Expect the boards as we now them to be missing in action for about three weeks; there will be a temp board up in the interim, basically just so we can hang out, but it'll be blank and have none of the old threads and such that we have now. Once the site comes back up after that three week period, we should have everything that we have now. The plan is for no threads, no posts, no users to be left behind in the move. Fingers crossed, everybody! To get to the temp board, and then to the new boards, it's the same address: http://boards.theforce.net, so this ought to be painless, as long as you update your e-mail address. That is all. Hold on tight, guys; Lord willing, we'll all meet on the other side. :p

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Okay, *where* do you update your email address again?

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Under "Options," you click on "Change User Details."

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Uppers.