main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Bob Iger confirms there will be more Star Wars movies after Episode IX

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SW Saga Fan, Jan 26, 2016.

?

Do you think there should be more episodic Star Wars movies (Episode X, XI and XII) after Episode 9?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. I don't know...

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. More spinoff movies and TV series can be made after Episode IX, but the story should end there...

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    An article from the website Making Star Wars:

Link: http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/bob-iger-confirms-more-star-wars-films-beyond-episode-ix/

I'm just curious to have people's opinion on this, but do you think there should be more episodic Star Wars movies (in other words, Episodes X, XI and XII) after the end of the Sequel Trilogy? Or should it be the end of the story of Star Wars with Episode IX?

Discuss...

You can vote on the poll above.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    This really isn't shocking in the slightest; Disney will make the saga go on for as long as it possibly can. I'd put myself in the "don't know" camp regarding whether or not there should be more after the ST...it really depends on how good the story would be, and if there's anything interesting to tell at that point. Although, the universe is so vast and in theory there's so much potential, the saga really could go on forever.

3. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I rather disney didn't make "Saga" films.

Zikri, Bail B. Baobab and oierem like this.
  4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I think it should go to 12 and then probably stop after that. Any more than 12 would be overkill, in my opinion. 12 would be a perfect number. If they did decide to stop at 9, that would be fine aswell because it would be a TRILOGY of Trilogies

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Picked the wrong option. I thought the question was if I thought there would be (instead of should be) more Star Wars movies after Episode IX.

I don't think there will be more Episode movies after IX. I do believe they will make more spin-offs indefinitely.

Seagoat likes this.
  6. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    I think Disney will continue to make Star Wars movies as long as they continue to make money, but whether or not future movies will be part of the Saga, Anthology or a completely different series is up in the air for me. In my opinion, it's quite limited what you can actually do with the Anthology movies; the idea of experiencing small stories with relevance to the Saga is quite interesting, but hard to transform into something that is sure to be a hit with the general audience (which I'm sure is what Disney is ultimately aiming at). However, it wouldn't surprise me at all, if Disney went on to make a continuation of the Saga with a different kind of focus than the Skywalker Legacy.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't really care, actually. I just hope we'll get to see some old, old, OLD Republic adventures!

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  8. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Here's my crazy theory as this is why they left Rey's parentage unknown after TFA:

-Rey is not related to any OT character, so this opens up a whole family tree for them to explore for Episodes 7-12. They will explore Rey's parents, maybe she has a sister? brother? cousins? All of them will pop up in the next few movies.

The Saga will eventually be split up in 2 as 1-6 will be about the Skywalkers and 7-12 will be about Rey's family.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  9. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Please let them go on forever. [face_party]

JediChipKelly and Darkslayer like this.
  10. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    In all honesty, when I first heard that we were getting a new Star Wars movie, I was ready for a clean sheet of paper; a new generation with exclusively new characters/ships/landscape, etc. As much as anything, I feared bringing back our beloved characters - now 30+ years older - whose hearts weren't into it, and the whole thing would be a farce.

I've never been so happy to be wrong. Now that old and new have dovetailed wonderfully (IMO), it will be great to see this chapter - the Skywalker chapter - wrapped up in some measure over the next two movies. But honestly, I'm ready for that story to be over. I want something brand new; be it in "Epic Saga" mode, or stand-alone films. Granted, that makes me nervous, because in the limitless world of CGI, the art of world-building can be a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to creating a vibe that really resonates with people (read: me), and I always want that familiar vibe that's almost indescribable.

So, assuming the best, absolutely give me more more more...but give me something new after IX.

JediChipKelly likes this.
  11. smittyjaja

smittyjaja Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2016
    I hope he doesn't mean a Skywalker story after Episode 9. They could start something new with new characters in any time period if they wanted/

Spice Smuggler likes this.
  12. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    i'm disappointed with TFA, so the idea that more will come after that doesn't appeal to me

13. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Been alive for the peak Star Wars time periods...

1977 - 1983
    2008 - ???

I HIGHLY approve of getting as much Star Wars as possible before death catches up with me.

----Edit to add:
    (1997 - 2005 - Meh... Love the one you're with.)

14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Spin offs and Tv shows. Nothing else.

But if it happens, it happens.

15. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I'm happy with more saga films. I do hope that they take a break for at least 5 years between each trilogy, maybe even longer. And I want for the saga films to focus on the Skywalker family. In my opinion, if the Skywalker line dies, so does the saga (but we still would get anthology movies and TV series and books and comics...). It's hard to say for certain what X-XII should be without having seen the rest of the ST.

16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I see it going on in all forms of media as long as the money keeps coming in. I say go for it.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure if I want Skywalker movies after E9 or E12 forever. Stories after the main Saga, yes!
    Start a new Saga after that.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't know if it will be Episodes X-XII, but I wager that there will be spin off films like the Han Solo film and "Rogue One".

19. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Currently, I'm kind of mixed on this. I think there could be more Star Wars spinn-off movies, TV series, comics, books, etc... I think the most interesting era to explore on new movies would be the old republic era which took place thousands of years before the prequel era, allowing us to have more insight on the fight between the Sith and the Jedi.

But, should there be more Episodic movies after the end of the Sequel Trilogy? I don't think so. As I said in another comment, every good stories has to end, every saga or film franchise should end at some time. Sometimes it's best to move on other things. I've almost moved on other things until Episode VII was announced back in 2012.

I can understand for some to have more from their beloved franchise and story. But that's how life it is: everything as a beginning, then an end.

Currently, I'm a little afraid, with what Bob Iger has announced, that Disney is doing the following thing with Star Wars:

[​IMG]

Dagobahsystem and Lt. Hija like this.
  20. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    More is not better in my book.

Something's not right when filmmakers care more about making a certain number of movies than about telling a story (note that he doesn't say "we have great stories for future SW films").
    In other words, there will be a meeting in a couple of years in which some executive will say to a group of screenwriters "the next SW movie has to be released in 202x. This is the budget you have. I want a script in two months. Shooting begins this summer". And then he will leave, leaving the group of screenwriters desperately trying to think of a story.

SW Saga Fan and Dagobahsystem like this.
  21. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I prefer quality over quantity.

22. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think future movies will be of quality. They're going after quality now, so I don't know why that would change for episodes X+. Sure, there's a need to meet deadlines, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Consider how much they have to draw from. It's not completely impossible to adapt The Thrawn Trilogy or other EU works to star Rey, Finn, and Poe, or their children, or the generation after that.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure if I want more Skywalker Saga movies after E9. Though if they do a fourth trilogy, not that big of a deal imo.
    I do want more SW stories after that though.
    Start a new Saga!
    Also do stuff in the Old Republic era.

Spice Smuggler likes this.
  24. Spice Smuggler

Spice Smuggler Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    I'd like to see a new saga based in the old Republic and with a new family. Why not the birth of the jedi? With a trilogy of trilogies that spans three generations you could have a really cool story about how this group of warriors learn about the force, learn melee combat with crude lightsabers (or darksabers), define their principles, and how they become accepted by the Republic as guardians of peace. It's entirely possible that the presence of the first jedi temple in TFA is a hint that Disney is already planning this and planting seeds in the ST so there will be some connective tissue between sagas that take place 5000 years apart from each other.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This
    Quite honestly, I don't much care for the spinoffs we're getting, as I sense already they lack the creative spirit that SW is meant too have. I think the ST should be the last of the episodic films in the saga

But that doesn't mean there can't be another episodic saga. The Skywalker Saga being I-IX, maybe another saga with a whole new bunch of characters making another I-IX, or a X-XVI, I don't mind

The Skywalker Saga will be it for me, though