main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Boba Fett: As Strong As We Think?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by HowManyMidichlorians, Nov 23, 2015.

1. quanchi112

quanchi112 Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2014
    He will get more respect in the anthology films and maybe even in the rebels series but as far as Rotj goes he was portrayed as pathetic.

TX-20 likes this.
  2. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think that was sort of the point, Boba was a thug and a punk and went out like a punk. Boba is still a neat character but very overhyped, his father Jango is a better character.

jakobitis89 and CIS Droid like this.
  3. quanchi112

quanchi112 Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2014
    Boba will get better feats and he will be respected as a character just handled poorly in Rotj.

4. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Um Vader hired Boba fett to find the Falcon, because the entire empire were too inept to find a little spaceship. Boba Fett did what he was paid to do. Fett was so powerful and intelligent, after Fett found and captured the crew of the Falcon he made Vader do all the rest of the work whilst he got paid by the empire as well as later collecting the bounty from Jabba. Boba is a pure genius. No other character achieved such amazing feats.

themoth likes this.
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Exactly!
    His allure. I remember what it was like seeing Boba Fett in TESB back in the day. What a mysterious and intimidating figure. Negotiating with Darth Vader! Who else got away with that in TESB? Taking Han away from his friends!
    His mythos is largely based on initial fan reaction to TESB. Many of us were younglings when we saw this film and we hadn't been desensitized by constant, on demand screen time. Subsequent films, EU, action figures and collective fan memories/nostalgia contribute to Fett's well deserved reputation as a truely bad*** figure in the GFFA.
    Rewatch TESB scenes on Bespin and imagine what it was like for a child to see that character in the early 80's when SW was still a new phenomenon.
    Boba Fett is no Jedi, but he is a cunning, brave and fearsome character.

AndyLGR, Wookiee_Vader and PHIERY like this.
  6. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    ^:)^

themoth and Dagobahsystem like this.
  7. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    This is absolutely no indication in the OT that Boba Fett is a strong bounty hunter other than the fact that Vader appears to have a grudging respect for him. Boba Fett attacks Luke in ROTJ and gets his rifle slashed in an instant.

8. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    This summary seems to say what needs saying here

(http://www.cracked.com/article_1885...vies+&+TV&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=companion)

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That was funny as hell.

10. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Spot on. I was just in awe of him as a kid.

I think a lot of credit has to go to the costume designers, Joe Johnston and of course the late great Ralph McQuarrie. His visual image is captivating.

Dagobahsystem and PHIERY like this.
  11. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

He sounds dead up like Morrison. Lucas had to have did that on purpose when making AOTC.

12. Darth Boycs

Darth Boycs Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2018
    He actually tries to kill Luke on Bespin. How do people think Vader would react to that?

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Not well.

Boba was a mystery character. We haven’t really seen anything from him in the films except cool little details. “No disintegrations”, etc. His ‘death’ is lacklustre, but I’m not sure if that ruins the mystique as much as some people think. It was dumb luck. Luke cut his blaster in half, but Boba countered with the rope. Before Han knocked his jet pack, he was lining Luke up for a shot.

14. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Like father like son.

Both died from jet-pack malfunctions.

themoth likes this.
  15. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Being a big fan of the Fett, I've never thought of him as a "strong" character. Maybe a patient and calculating tracker? Of course, I always thought his little moment in Jedi was the payoff of the whole Pit of Carkoon battle. Let's face it, if he just sat on the deck and shot at Luke, none of us would have liked that. I always thought his death scene was pretty cool, and fitting.

I never liked how the old EU made him this unstoppable killing machine that was known by trillions of beings across thousands of planets. I mean, come on. He's only been doing it for like 2 decades, hardly sufficient time to establish such a reputation. He's just another bounty hunter.

Sarge, Sith Lord 2015 and Gamiel like this.
  16. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    I think a lot of his good reputation comes from his brief encounter with Luke in ESB. At the beginning of that sequence, it looks like Luke has a chance to sneak up on him and possibly rescue Han, with Boba seemingly unaware of his presence. Then, the moment Luke steps out from behind the corner, the tables turn and Boba is suddenly there with his blaster already trained on Luke (and it's only Luke's immediate reaction to duck back and take cover that saves him from being killed then and there). It's a cool moment of turnabout that at the very least shows that he's aware of his surroundings and capable of acting quickly and decisively at a moment's notice.

Also, from a body-movement perspective he doesn't come across as clumsy or slow as most of the stormtrooper actors do. I think his great costume design definitely plays a role too. The jangling sound he makes as he walks is super cool.

Bor Gullet and Sarge like this.
  17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I was about to post something and then saw this which pretty much sums it up perfectly.

A lot of people are looking at him now, 38 years later, and wonder what the big deal was. The problem is that since then we've have seen him diluted with the PT and the EU material. He is the perfect example of a realtively minor character (screen time wise) who captures the imagaination of SW fans because of his look, his demenour, mystique, we don't know whos under the armour and its clear his reputation preceeds him. The rest we fill in with our minds.

Also remember back in 1980 we had a very small amount of characters and material too, and there was no way of discussing / analysing / dissecting him to death on an internet board. We really only had our imagainations when playing with the figures. So what they did with Empire in expanding the character base was a master stroke, because in Boba Fett's case less was more, but now thats been totally blown apart by the unecessary addition of him in to AOTC.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Gamiel and Dagobahsystem like this.
  18. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    My question is, how serious a threat did he consider Luke?

Han is a different case. Yes, Fett succeeded in tracking the Falcon to Bespin City and then quickly called in the Empire. Once they captured him, Fett confronted Vader about keeping Han alive so as to turn him over to Jabba thus collecting on his bounty. It seems like Boba is merely following in his father's footsteps of "being a simple man trying to make his way through the universe."

However, with Luke, how serious did he take him? Was Boba aware of how valuable he was to Vader? For I would think that considering it was a Jedi who killed his father, Boba would train and plan extra hard in case he ever confronted another Force sensitive person. His plan of attack against Luke seemed rather reasonable until Han's (un)timely hitting his jetpack. A random factor of battle affected his ability to carry out his attack which lead into a more dire result. It's not something that I can wholeheartedly blame entirely on Fett.

19. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    New member, first post. Howdy all!

I wish Fett never appeared in Return of the Jedi.

The character had fulfilled his narrative function in The Empire Strikes Back and that left him with little to do in Return of the Jedi.

I thought his death was disappointing.

sith_rhino likes this.
  20. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    To quote the best Boba Fett meme ever: It's not what you say, it's how cool you look not saying it.

That's my two cents.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  21. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    Boba Fett does come across as pathetic in ROTJ, but not so in TESB. Sure, he doesn't do a lot, but he's the only bounty hunter clever and resourceful enough to know what Han is up to by hiding in the Star Destroyer's floating garbage and follow him to Bespin.

22. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I think this is the start of a recurring problem with Lucas. When a character proves popular, he shoehorns them into every movie he can manage. There was no reason for Chewie or Boba Fett (or even the droids, for that matter, especially C3-PO) to appear in the Prequels, and yet there they are.

AndyLGR likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree about how he was treated in ROTJ, but specifically because of that, I hope he doesn't appear as this crazy awesome bad*** in some anthology. It would be the ultimate anti-climactic thing to see if we go from an awesome Boba Fett to a failure of a bounty hunter, going out like a b.

Then again, that's not much different than we got with Phasma...[face_thinking]

I also do like the idea that Jango was the professional, and Boba spent his life trying to be his father but never quite gets there. I mean even his suit and equipment doesn't match up. TCW was enough for me to see that kind of story develop with his character. If we get an anthology, I'd want it to take place AFTER ROTJ, to see how he's developed as a bounty hunter after all his experiences...If he appears in an anthology that takes place before then, than I'd prefer it be a Suicide Squad-style film featuring several bounty hunters.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  24. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007

I remember hearing rumors that they wanted Han Solo to appear as a kid in ROTS...

25. Darth Boycs

Darth Boycs Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2018
    Can someone please elaborate on the wardrobe malfunction?