Edmonton Boba Fett Costume Buildin'

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought I'd start a "new" thread just for the updates on my costume building, for anyone interested.

I now have the helmet.....geesh is it narrow. I'll definitely have to work on that. I was going to cut out the old "visor" today but then decided to wait until I could get new batteries for my camera to take pictures start to finish. The glued on piece of thin plastic for the visor is drivin' me crazy lookin' at it. I can't wait to pull it off and put in the new one! Ohhh...and the paint job...good grief.....brutal! But not once I'm finished with it!

I think I scored something fantastic today on Ebay. I got a pair of Prada boots.....the Boba Fett lookin' ones. Grey suede and all. Looks like I'll just need to add the piping and the front spikes! I'm very happy about this indeed!

Now how long until Halloween? ~groan~ Likely not enough time....better get my butt in gear! Geesh..and I said I was going to get fabric this weekend too. What a waste of a weekend. I hate that. I did practially nothing....except research on the Jedi robes and props and a little laundry. I think it might be time to haul out my wall write on/wipe off calendar and set myself a schedule.
  2. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Sounds like a long road ahead. Good luck though :)
  3. Tohrgan_Fex Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can't wait to see the pictures...or see it in real life!
  4. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay....some progress...small, but progress nonetheless. I was at my mom and dad's for supper tonight and started talking about the costume with them. My mom does a lot of ceramics...and some really detailed painting so she's on board to help with the detailed shading for the battle scaring. And my dad printed off some drawings and pics of the jet pack to start looking for pieces while he's at work. He's also going to do the wiring for the LED display and helmet and jet pack lights. So only a baby step, but I'm pleased regardless.
  5. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Sounds like it'll be a pretty sweet costume
  6. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I went to Walmart last night with one of my full front and back pics of Boba on a hunt for bits. They have these flashy light things that are supposed to go on tires but I think it will work well as the jet pack light. Except....they only had blue yellow or red. I got the red......but now I'm thinking I should have got the yellow since it should be white. I don't know....have to give that one some more thought.

I also bought some bits for the thrusters and I think a container that will work well on as the centre "tank" on the jet pack. We'll see.

The Prada boots came and they are darn near perfect...with a little addition here and there. I can't believe my luck in finding those!

I'm trying to decide what it's going to do outside today. It looks really overcast but still feels stuffy in the house. Maybe in a couple of hours I'll go sit outside and start takin' the dremel to the helmet to cut out the old visor. Wish me luck!
  7. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    good luck and say outta the sun!
  8. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well...staying out of the sun certainly wasn't too hard today!

Okay...visor is cut out. Turns out one benefit to having the Rubies version of this helmet is that you can cut it out with some good, strong kitchen scissors! That and some of my jewellery making clippers. So visor is out, range finder and ear piece are off, vents are cut out of the back and the strip on the left ear piece to hear a little better....hopefully. Some black screen material should hide the fact that these things are cut out. It's certainly going to be a nightmare putting the new visor in. The first of many, I suspect.

Have any of you read the threads on The Dented Helmet forum about the automated range finders? You can actually get these things to go up and down automatically with a push of a button on one of your gauntlets! OMG! I definitely have to look into that!

Well...I can tell you all one thing.....there's nothing that'll make you feel like a kid again than looking into all the gadgets and toys you can get! I know I've been pretty giddy about the whole thing since I allowed myself to indulge my Star Wars obsession again. The toys....the tattoo....and now the costume...WOOHOO!!!

9. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Someone on the Madalorian board thinks my helmet might be a Don Post left over because the date on the inside is older than when Rubies took over making the helmets. In that case....I might actually have a 1995 Don Post.

I bought some aluminum coloured spray paint last night for the base coat....and then neglected to get primer. Good grief. I also picked up some little rubber things that are a little pointed on the end that I THINK might work well as the toe spikes. I read a lot about people having to take off thier boots to go some places because of the spikes. I'll have to see if they paint okay......and I'll still keep looking for a similar idea but better shape.

Does anyone know anything about fiberglass reinforcing of the helmet? I've seen pictures of it and I've read about people who had it done.....but the how to do it part remains a mystery!
  10. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    It's Friday night...and BFett is tired. I keep staring at topics on The Dented Helmet..but tonight my heart and brain just aren't in it. My husband and I spent some time discussing the 'lectronics and I ....opps....he managed to get the top off of my range finder. It's all hollow and perfect for a board with LED's The Dented Helmet has stuff about the two LED's on the top and one on the inside with a very cool effect....all three only turn on when the range finder is down. Then the one on the inside give the front of the mask this eerie kind of glow. Maybe I'll go grab some glue and put the visor in before I get toooooo sleepy.
  11. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well...that was fun...and short lived. Hot Glue Gun + one helmet that isn't perfectly shaped + one visor that is perfectly shaped = trouble. I know now what I'll be doing for the rest of the evening.....picking the glue off of my visor. Good grief.....
  12. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I'd never have the patience to do this. Strong you are in the costume making ;)
  13. Tohrgan_Fex Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, there's patience.

Wow, I can't wait to see this stuff. I'm still waiting for the pictures (because you didn't bring it to Starbucks :) ). You should do some "before" pics while there still IS a before.
  14. geekgirl76 Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a sugestion for parts, I've found that Princess Auto is a good place to check out for costume bits. They have a surpluss area that I wander aroung when I'm looking for insperation. It can be hit and miss but I bet you could find the white lights you're looking for, and prices can be really good.

This is soundiing like a great project, good luck and don't let the glue get you down :)
  15. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought about doing the before pics....but my camera needs a new battery...and I'm highly impatient. I guess I could still take one before I put the visor in...again.

Princess Auto...now there's a place I've heard lots about and have been meaning to go to but have never made it. I also make jewelry....have my own little company...and when I was learning silversmithing I was told about that place as a source for all sorts of things. I'm really going to have to get over there soon! Thanks for the tip!
  16. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I always feel like I should be starting off with "Dear Diary"....

Today I found the almost perfect fabric for the costume. It just needs a couple of rounds in the washing machine with some black towels and stuff to give it that dingy grey ROTJ colour. That....and maybe a light wash of dye. We'll see. Other than that it's the right texture and a good weight..and it was on sale.

So I'm feelin' pretty good about the whole thing and decide to go to good 'ole Radio Shack for some assistance with the electronics. I figure....how hard can it be. I'm fairly intelligent so I can learn how to do simple lights etc. Well...what did I get instead? Basically a pat on the head and a "you should really get a professional to do that". I'm sure you could see the steam coming out of my ears. Geesh I hate that!!

So now I'm a little bummed. I sort of want to be able to say I did the WHOLE costume myself....but maybe...I don't know. I'll have to give this some thought.
  17. Darth_Haggis Force Ghost

star 4
    If you need help with electronics I could give you a hand. Unfortunately, I won't be back in Edmonton until September. :(
  18. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Darth Haggis...much appreciated. I think my husband found a friend of his that can do it....but should that avenue fail I'll keep in mind your generous offer of assistance. And....the way I'm swamped with work it just maybe that I don't actually get to do much on the costume until September....egads!!
  19. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dear...anyone who's listening.... ;)

I forgot to update everyone at the meeting about the status of the costume building. I had sort of forgotten that my cousin has a degree from University for set building etc. I asked him over the weekend if he knew anyone who did costuming. He looked at me like I was a giant nutball and then asked what I needed. So I told him what I was doing and the problems with my gibbled helmet. He told me to bring it on over and we'd work on it together! Soooooo....I don't know what exactly he'll be able to help with but at least it will be a pair of fresh eyes and someone with a little more experience than me.

The goal this weekend is to set aside the helmet (my cousin is involved with the Fringe so I'll leave him alone until that wraps up) and get the armour started. The back piece is the one I'm really concerned about. I think one piece will be better than two halves.....but then the problem of not having a bit enough pot comes in. But of course it's mainly the ends that need the bending. Geesh.....I guess I'll just have to try as one piece and if it doesn't work go to plan b. I'd also like to get the fabric parts of the costume underway....but with the outting on Saturday and regular ole' house cleaning and such I'm not sure exactly how much I'll get done. Hmmmm.....should probably through the fabric in the wash tonight to start getting the dingy colour at least......
  20. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well...progress..finally! I have the visor installed. It's going to need some extra support and some filling in of gaps...but otherwise it's in. And...a nice side effect is that it appears to have angled out on the bottom on it's own.....but I'll have to see if it will need support to keep that shape.

I bought all of the leather for my belts which turned out to be the most expensive of all of the bits so far. But....I'm pretty much done buying stuff now. It's all about assembling now.

I bought some grey dye for the fabric to dingy it up....and some black and brown fabric paint to permanently dirty it. I want to be able to wash the undersuit....but not have to re-dirty it each time so I figured paint was the way to go.

I'm on a mini-role now tonight so I think I'll work on something else....perhaps the pouches for my belt.......
  21. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well tonight I made some more progress. I now am the proud owner of a partial rocket. And it looks exactly like....well.....a cardboard cone glued to an air freshner..glued to a cheap flashlight. But give it some paint and look out! I've got a painted cardboard cone glued to a...... :)

I also have the thruster bits all ready to assemble, but I want to run a screw through it so that they are moveable once attached to the jetpack.

I bought some balsa wood.....this will work for building up the areas on the gauntlets...I think. At least it's light enough 'cuz the last thing I need is arms too heavy to lift drinks to my mouth.... ;)
  22. geekgirl76 Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds like it's starting to really come together. You're right though, nothing should interfear with the drinking :D
  23. Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You are really getting me eager to see this costume... :)

Indy
  24. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    So now I have the leather pouches cut out and the stitching on them. I just need the solid foam centre to glue them around. I leather protected them and the belt also. I got the fabric dyed to hopefully a good colour....I haven't seen it yet dry. I did it over at my mom's house because she has the big wash tub thingy beside the washing machine that just made the whole process easier.

Oh...and the score of the century...since the Prada boots, that is.....is a belt from San Francisco that has rubber pointy spike things in it....that are removable. I think they'll work well as lethal looking toe spikes....without the nasty side effect of being..well...lethal!
  25. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    It sounds like your costume is coming along Angela. I am working on a Jango Fett costume
    but it is going to take about 2 years before it is done. The helmet should be done by October...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.