Edmonton Boba Fett Costume Buildin'

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BFett333, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Good grief.....sometimes I have to wonder about myself.

Everytime I wear my Boba costume I like it less and less. All the little things that if I only wore it a couple of times wouldn't have bothered me....become bigger and bigger with each and every event. Soooooo.....Jordan (Kastalorian) is building me some new armor...(I just don't have time with all the other ones I'm making)....and I bought fabric to redo the flight suit and vest last night. The only things I won't be changing are my belts, shoulder armor and the cod piece. The new helmet is getting it's second new visor....a much darker one. I'll still have to paint the armor and do the battle damage but Jordan is saving me huge amounts of time for the cutting out part. Plus....his templates are awesome.

Actually...the cod piece will be modified...I'm adding on the butt plate that goes around the back and the rope belt will somehow snap to it so things don't shift all the time like they do. Plus....no more wedgie. I know that's how it's supposed to be....but I'm tired of it.

The big job will be the guantlets.....and those are going to take some time. I hate mine more and more each time...but they will have to do for awhile. Maybe, just maybe....eventually a jet pack. If I'm going to have one for Jango...why not for Boba.
  2. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    So it was the last event this weekend for my gear as is. I assume parts of it will be used for awhile until I get everything revamped and upgraded.....but on a whole this was the last event. I did manage to keep my right gauntlet from cutting off my circulation this time.....but there was a casualty. My (opps...Jordan's) poor blaster took a hit. I'm not really sure what happened but when I geared up for the second half of the day the stock on the base of the gun had split in half making everything very wobbly. Must have just worked it's way loose. Oh well....it's fixable...and Jordan is busy making me a new one. I saw the starts of it this weekend 'cuz I camped out at his place with Danny.

I picked up my new armor from Jordan as well. Now the fun begins...all the sanding and priming and painting and battle damage all over again. At least I've got all the time I want to take. Doesn't really matter how long it takes me since I have wearable gear. First to change though will be the helmet. There is some more painting to do....just a few touch ups and some more paint chipping detail. Then a good couple of clear coats to protect it all. And then....the new visor and some permanent padding. I tried on Jordan's (aka Dave's) Scout Trooper helmet. The padding in it was so comfy! My pool noodle solution is actually painful. The material itself is rather scratchy and leaves a red mark on my forehead and afer awhile the whole thing gives me a headache. But if the pool noodle isn't placed the way it is the whole helmet is wobbly. Must be some sort of happy medium.

The Jango flightsuit is coming along nicely so I'm going to cut out the flightsuit for Boba today. Won't get much else done but a bunch of cutting today....but that'll give me all long weekend to acutally sew. I forgot my new shin tools out at Jordan's so I might have to guestimate at the shin pocket size, since they have to go on the legs first before the legs go together. I'll figure something out. The new vest design is already sorted out so I just have to resize it for me and that's good to go. I know that the vest outter fabric is supposed to be a matte satin....but the satin just takes a beating. It gets all snagged and stuff. Plus it makes the vest hard to wash. So this time...no satin. 95% of it ends up being covered anyway.....so it doesn't really matter.

NO MORE WEDGIE. It's going to take some thought of the best way to attach the cod piece without the wedgie and still keep it straight....but it will be done. I know the wedgis is cannon.....but forget it. The amount of people that know that are few and far between......and all the video of me walking it looks crappy!! Jordan made me a butt plate that I was missing before...so have the cod attach to that might just be the trick. Maybe that and a strategically placed snap or two.

I'm wishing I had one of those big pieces of grided cardboard you can put on your table to give a large cutting service......but I don't so I'll be on the floor for the day. Hopefully I'll get the wedding dress, Boba and parts of the two Darth Mauls and Vader at least cut out today. We'll see. Better get at it!
  3. fingthething Jedi Master

star 4
    Your new armour looked pretty cool, I can't wait to see what you do with it ;)
  4. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    It is pretty cool lookin' isn't it. It's only supposed to be nice for the next couple of days and then cooling off again. So I think I'll try to prime everything tonight and sand the edges to round them off..oh and add the battle damage to Boba. Hopefully I have enough primer for both sets of armor. Then...hopefully....I can get everything with it's top coat done by the time it starts raining towards the end of the week. The rest of the painting gets done by hand so that can be done inside.
  5. fingthething Jedi Master

star 4
    Did you see Daves costume? Wow, even Dave doesnt look that bad in it ;)
  6. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    So the plan now is that I'll be sanding, priming and painting all of the armor and the Jango helmet on Sunday at my parents. Everyone cross their fingers for me that it stays at least dry for me. If not....my dad does have a paint cabinet of sorts that I could use inside....but it would be so much slower as it would have to be one piece at a time. I'm hoping to be able to paint it all at once and work on the gauntlets while that coat is drying. Hopefully mother nature can cooperate with me.

I got started cutting Boba out and then started rethinking some areas I want to do differently...some reinforcing for snaps and stuff like that. Everything is going to snap to whatever it's attached to. My snap count is up to 104 so far.....shouldn't end up being much more than that. It sounds like alot, I know....but not only does the armor get snapped....but the vest has to snap to the flightsuit and the rope belt has to snap to the cod piece and the butt piece and the butt piece and cod piece have to snap to the flight suit and so on and so on. At least there won't be any more safety pins....and things won't bunch up or wiggle out of place anymore. So I need to reinforce the flightsuit around the waist, at the knees and at the ankles for the snaps.
  7. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    What a weekend so far. Yesterday I got pretty much all of the wedding dress cut out. Today I got the snaps all installed on the armor...the edges sanded and the battle damage added. I had to do a little reshaping of the back plate to match up with the throat plate too. I got the old visor out of my helmet and am just pullin' off all the old crappy glue I put in. I also got the hole cut out for my new chest display. I'm just stopping for a little bite to eat since I'm starting to get the shakes. Good grief. Guess I lost track of time.

The rest of the day will be to prime and paint the armor, finish cutting out the flightsuit and sew it. Tomorrow I'll sew whatever is left, the wedding dress and do the handpainting on the armor. Looks like I might just have the new gear....except for new gauntlets....ready to go for Child Find in Calgary next weekend! I guess once you've done this once before it just gets easier to do.

Better get back at it....have a great long weekend all!
  8. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Geesh....minor set back. For whatever reason the paint didn't stick. So I spent an hour or so scraping it all of....sanding it down and now it as it's first coat of primer....again. Good grief.....
  9. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally the paint stuck. I don't know what the heck happened! I still have a couple of more coats to go but it should be fine.

I got the costume all cut out and all of my extra pieces designed (spats, new belt pockets that I was missing before, thigh pockets, neck seal etc.) I even got everything interfaced last night while watching T.V. so now I just have to sew it all together. It looks like I'm probably not going to Child Find next weekend now due to lack of a ride....but it's likely for the best so that I can finish my gear and the wedding dress.
  10. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    I got the last coat of base colour on the armor last night and brought it inside to dry so the house smells like spray paint now....~blyuck~

I started sewing last night and ran into one problem after another. It was one of those nights where you know it's just best to stop before you injure yourself or wreck something. So I only got part of one spat done (when I broke a needle on my machine) and decided to quit.

Then I started thinking.....why am I scrambling to finish this? I have all the time in the world. I have other gear to wear....even though I don't really like it. And I could just not go to a couple of events so I could work on it on the weekend which is always better. So that's the plan. If I end up going to Child Find in Calgary this weekend it will be with the old gear.....but I think I'll just stay home this weekend and work on a bunch of stuff.
  11. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Everything is progressing quite nicely as of late with the new gear.

The vest is almost done......I've been adding some darts to shape it a little better. It's that whole girl thing.....the vest doesn't sit flat without them. Anyway...it'll fix the problems around the armholes and around the neck....so the shoulder bell "flaps" will sit more rounded instead of sort of straight out. The snaps up the sides of the vest is a thing of beauty. I still need someone to help me do them up......but it's no more struggle to get in or out of it.

The flightsuit is well on it's way. I'm having some issues with the length of the upper half. I'm short waisted and the flightsuit pattern is obviously designed for the very long waisted. I had even shortened the pattern but it's still too long. The waist is around my upper hips. I'm debating about whether to just leave it. It's all covered by the belts and cod piece anyway.

Last night I made most of the thigh pockets. After finishing for the night I decided that I would line them just to finish it off nicely. That and a few snaps and they'll be ready to attach. I also did most of the second belt pouch. Farty little things that take up so much time!

Tonight I'll finish up the pockets and hopefully get the thigh ones attached. The sleeves are already done...just need to attach them so I'll likely get that done tonight as well. And maybe the shin pockets and the final inside seam on the legs too. Then I just have to reinforce the area around the waist for the snaps, hem the legs and sleeves, dye it and add the snaps and viola!

I'm not sure that I'll have the vest finished for this coming weekend so I may have to wear my old one....but I should have the new flightsuit done....and my spats are done...new visor added....it's all coming together!
  12. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well....Boba 2.0 is pretty much finished. I got to debut it this weekend in Olds. It was a bit of a trick figuring out the order of what to put on first what with all of the stuff snapping to each other....but it fits sooooo much better than the old stuff. I still have some weathering to do and some finishing stuff. And of course I need to do the new gauntlets. They look crappier than ever now. I'm still missing some armor parts (new cod, shoulder bells, shin tools and knee armor with the darts) so there is still work to be done. The chest display turned out perfect....just have to maybe add a little of the dreaded velcro around the display to keep the fabric nice and tight to prevent light from escaping out the sides.

Now that I've made myself I slightly less chunky looking Fett with fewer layers and stuff....my helmet looks too big. I swear I can't win! Jordan says that I just need to flare it more so I'll work on that. Guess it's time to get back to work on Jango! Flight suit for that one is pretty much done so I'm well on my way with the soft parts. Plus I've got the base for the stubby jetpack too.......once I get that figured I'll be working on the bigger jetpack for Boba.

The never ending costume continues onwards!
  13. liannb Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    saw some off white wool today but it was $98 a meter :( hard to tell if it was too beige though, it was at Estees
  14. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
  15. geekgirl76 Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: is right. I think that's the new record. The highest priced fabric I ever coveted was $65/M. Wool is hard to find these days, I know when I was looking a couple months ago all I could find was black (really light, like for slacks).
  16. redeyekho Jedi Knight

star 2
    Say... has anyone ever see white strips of leather or vinyl... about 2 to 2.5" wide and about 10 to 14" long?
  17. BFett333 Jedi Master

star 4
    Egads!! $98!! I think I'll be using polar fleece instead. I couldn't imagine spending that much and then getting it all dirty for the costume....LOL

Dave....what do you need them for? You'd just have to buy a piece of white vinyl and cut the strips. Oh wait....this is you I'm talking to. You'd just have to buy a piece of white vinyl and give it to one of us to cut for you.... ;)
  18. geekgirl76 Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL :)
    Well it's better than buying the strips on-line for twice what their worth.
    I think Marshals would be your best bet Dave, they have a lot of vinyl and pleather. Like Angela said you'd have to cut it down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.