main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett Flirting

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthJohnkenobi, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Since the SE came out I've seen many Boba Fett fans upset that he flirts w/Jabba's dancers. I thought it added another layer of "coolness" personally. Why do some fans not like this?

2. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I don't know why they don't like. I have always thought it was cool though, it made him seem more materialistic, and kinda like a celeb.

3. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I thought it made him look better, makes you almost forget that girlish scream he makes when he's sent to his death. I really don't like the EU version of Fett and loved the way the Prequels and DVD OT re did the character.

In the EU Fett's a goonish virgin.

In the films he's a cool mouri badass.

4. JoshDorst

JoshDorst Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    I don't like the changes because I think they fundamentally change Boba Fett's character. It changes the answer to the question of why Fett is there.
    Why is Fett in A New Hope?
    Original-he was not.
    SE-he is there as a bodyguard to protect Jabba.
    Why is he in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi? Original-I think he anticipated correctly that Solo's friends were coming to rescue him. He was there to do a job. If he returned to Vader with Luke, think about a reward he might recieve. He seemed stiff and out of place inside Jabba's palace.
    SE-I think he is less stiff and seems to be enjoying himself. He has other reasons for being there. If his girlfriend is working for Jabba, could he be working for him as well?
    I think the changes have turned him from a cool bounty hunter working for money and for himself into one of Jabba's henchman.
    It also makes me rethink his standing up to Vader in Empire Strikes Back. "He's no good to me dead." Why?
    Original-Dead means Jabba doesn't pay as much, or possibly not at all.
    SE-Dead means Jabba is upset with one of his henchman. What does Jabba do when he is upset? He feeds someone to the Rancor.

5. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    I think the change make Boba cooler.

6. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    He likes the ladies.

The change really doesn't add or take away much from his character, if you want to call it one.

Sarlacc Snack's more like it.

7. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    SE-I think he is less stiff and seems to be enjoying himself. He has other reasons for being there. If his girlfriend is working for Jabba, could he be working for him as well?
    I think the changes have turned him from a cool bounty hunter working for money and for himself into one of Jabba's henchman.

That's a valid point. However, whats her name isn't necessarily his girlfriend. She could be palace entertainment, if you know what I mean.
    Also, just because he's hanging out there doesn't mean he works for Jabba. It's probably just a cool place to hang for underworld types.

8. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I don't like the changes because I think they fundamentally change Boba Fett's character. It changes the answer to the question of why Fett is there.

It's difficult to do that when he doesn't even have one to begin with. :p

Just a perspective from someone who's experience is only with the SE...

Why is Fett in A New Hope?
    Original-he was not.
    SE-he is there as a bodyguard to protect Jabba.

Where did it say he was a bodyguard? Jabba had put a price on Solo's head. The people with him were likely bounty hunters. No, really, I don't know where you got that. I *never* assumed he was a bodyguard. I just thought he was a bounty hunter there for the prize.

Why is he in Jabba's palace in Return of the Jedi? Original-I think he anticipated correctly that Solo's friends were coming to rescue him. He was there to do a job. If he returned to Vader with Luke, think about a reward he might recieve. He seemed stiff and out of place inside Jabba's palace.

Since when did flirting suggest a relationship? I agree with your original statement to a degree, but given that Jabba's a gangster, it's possible Fett hung around for criminal-esque activities. Looking for another bounty head, waiting for the rest of his payment, decided to just hang around until new work popped up, etc, etc. If you're stuck in a place for awhile, why *not* enjoy yourself? He's still wary, cold-hearted, and nasty. Perfect for a minor antagonist who hasn't even really done much to earn the title of villain.

I never thought that, but if I had, it wouldn't have been a perception just substantiated from the SE.

I personally never could see the "cool" part about a static mercenary character, but ah well.

It also makes me rethink his standing up to Vader in Empire Strikes Back. "He's no good to me dead." Why?
    Original-Dead means Jabba doesn't pay as much, or possibly not at all.
    SE-Dead means Jabba is upset with one of his henchman. What does Jabba do when he is upset? He feeds someone to the Rancor.

I grew up with the SE. Boba Fett never stood out as one of Jabba's henchmen. He always struck me as a bounty hunter who simply decided to hang around for awhile since Jabba's place is not only a haven for villainy and scum, but it's also a place where he could possibly pick up his payment and a lead on another bounty.

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    It kinda messes up some EU where it was stated that Boba wasn't attracted to either sex.
    But I think it makes his character look cooler.

10. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    It kinda messes up some EU where it was stated that Boba wasn't attracted to either sex.
    But I think it makes his character look cooler.

That EU nonsense has no bearing on this conversation. The Topic of this thread is asking about the movies, not anything else.

11. The_Jedi_Will_Die

The_Jedi_Will_Die Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2005
    It made him look much cooler.

12. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I don't like the changes because I think they fundamentally change Boba Fett's character.

Are you serious?

13. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    The 04er's have to be more specific.

14. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    You 02ers complain too much.

15. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004

That's a bit stupid, that kinda makes Boba Fett look gay. The flirting makes him look cool. He's a legend bounty hunter and the girls are in giggles after he stroked her chin, it's like a celebrity walking up to you and flirting with you. Fett's cool, and that makes him cooler, he's Star Wars' James Bond.

16. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    You 01'ers think you know it all. :p

It doesn't make Boba gay. The book said that he wasn't attracted to either sex.

17. JoshDorst

JoshDorst Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    'I don't like the changes because I think they fundamentally change Boba Fett's character. It changes the answer to the question of why Fett is there.'
    <It's difficult to do that when he doesn't even have one to begin with.>
    Fett is a smaller character and has no story or arc, but he is an well made character. The filmmakers made sure to give him interesting character traits and cool look. If they didn't, no one who care about him.

<Where did it say he was a bodyguard? Jabba had put a price on Solo's head. The people with him were likely bounty hunters. No, really, I don't know where you got that. I *never* assumed he was a bodyguard. I just thought he was a bounty hunter there for the prize.>

If Fett wanted the reward on Solo, he needed to get to Solo before Jabba did. He is there with Jabba and leaves when Jabba leaves. Everyone else there with Jabba works for him, so how is Fett any different. This is Fett's first appearance as an adult. If someone you had never seen before shows up with a mobster, I don't think it is a big assumption to think they worked for him.

<Since when did flirting suggest a relationship?>

I think that it implied a familiarity with her. He's either the boyfriend, the lover, the john, or the pimp.

<I agree with your original statement to a degree, but given that Jabba's a gangster, it's possible Fett hung around for criminal-esque activities. Looking for another bounty head, waiting for the rest of his payment, decided to just hang around until new work popped up, etc, etc. If you're stuck in a place for awhile, why *not* enjoy yourself?
    I grew up with the SE. Boba Fett never stood out as one of Jabba's henchmen. He always struck me as a bounty hunter who simply decided to hang around for awhile since Jabba's place is not only a haven for villainy and scum, but it's also a place where he could possibly pick up his payment and a lead on another bounty.>

I think my main problem is that Fett always looked out of place at Jabba's palace in the originals. He was there to do a job. He did not mix business and pleasure because he was 'on call' all the time. If he is waiting for Luke to show up(which I think is what he is doing in the originals), what happens when Luke shows up and he's off making time with some girl?
    Being a bounty hunter makes you an independent contractor. You have to catch someone to make your money. You would definitely want to check at Jabba's palace if you are looking for another bounty, but you need to move on to Mos Eisely, Mos Espa, etc. if you don't find anything. You don't just hang out in disreputable places all day. That's how you become a bounty hunter that owes people money.

18. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    "Fett's cool, and that makes him cooler, he's Star Wars' James Bond"

Funny you should say that, the actor who played Bobba Fett was in the Roger Moore Bond films, played a character known as Smithers, who worked for Q. I will try find a picture for you.

19. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Because he's in one of the most dangerous places in the galaxy, and he's standing with his back to the room. He's also not paying attention to what's going on around him, chewbacca could just walk up and <snap!>, Fett's dead.

It also removes the whole "all buissness" attitude he originally had.
    And before anyone whines "but it adds more dimention", which version turned him into the huge folk hero? Oh, yeah, the orininal tough buissness one.

20. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I agree, it was a despicable change. Who would have thought Boba Fett was hetero? I had this grand vision of him being a badass asexual bounty hunter but then they make him be attracted to females. What a disgrace.

21. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I like it. It adds to his coolness.

22. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I prefer the Boba who lives only for the Hunt from the original

23. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I like the flirting addition as well. It makes him cooler... hey, folks, not only does he have a cool suit and an awesome spaceship, but he's a swingin' ladies' man as well!

Just because a guy kills for a living doesn't mean he can't appreciate a sexy alien girl too.

Rick McCallum loves you!

24. hunter_ofthe_myst_ra

hunter_ofthe_myst_ra Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 2003
    I know he's never been a saint and that's what I like about him, but as a female, I guess the flirting makes him seem like a creep.

25. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Fett is a smaller character and has no story or arc, but he is an well made character. The filmmakers made sure to give him interesting character traits and cool look. If they didn't, no one who care about him.

And somehow they managed to create an interesting character without the flirting in the originals. He was extremely popular even before the change came about.

As for the change itself - I'm indifferent. It doesn't really take too much away from the character, yet it could be unneccessary. Like what was already mentioned, it takes away from the 'all business' factor surrounding Fett, but at the same time, gives the character a bit more depth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.