main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett IS dead

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by halibut, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Did you click the link?

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    [image=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dMTftUEOcLo/S3As2TjrxAI/AAAAAAAAAIY/Zbry0RYGJp8/s400/BobaFett2.JPG]

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    A jetpack that had been just smashed by a blind man with a metal spear causing it to malfunction.

Fett is dead.

5. GFFAJedi

GFFAJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2010
    Boba Fett survived. It's canon. The EU is canon. ;)

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The EU is lower-level canon than the films, but... the canon argument often ends up proving nothing one way or the other anyway. Can't believe it took this long to come up, though.

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    But there's nothing in the film to indicate that he could not have survived, which is why the EU storyline made sense.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It wasn't smashed, and it didn't malfunction. Han's spear hit the activation button, and Fett was unprepared for its sudden activation.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    If it doesn't contradict what's shown in the films, it's perfectly valid. Now, if the EU showed Fett crawling out of the Sarlaac in the middle of the battle, then it'd pretty clearly be a contradiction and not valid. However, the EU shows Fett escaping days or maybe even as much as a week later (iirc, the timeline in the story is pretty vague) and therefore it doesn't contradict anything.

If Mr. Lucas wants to show Fett survived, a pretty simple way to do it would be to insert the Slave 1 taking off at the end of ROTJ during the Tattooine sequence, mirroring the insertion of the Outrider in ANH and the Moldy Crow in TPM.

10. AgonyE

AgonyE Jedi Knight

Aug 11, 2010
    A burp is rather ambiguous. Sometimes I burp although I haven't eaten for hours. Also, the burp could have been the result of someone else falling in before Fett. Fett could be dead, but we can't say for certain unless we saw him actually being digested, his breathing still, etc.

I'm in the Fett is alive camp -- he just had too many merc skills to die in such a ridiculous way.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Unless you're drinking a soda, you don't burp right away after ingesting something. So this means the Sarlacc's burp was caused by a previous meal, not Fett.

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Fett could have knocked the gas loose...especially if he was still alive inside and squirming around...[face_thinking]

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    1) I remember that comic, but I thought it was an Infinities storyline.

2) Oh gawd.... this argument JUST. WON'T. DIE.
    (like Boba Fett)
    :p

14. starkiller1980

starkiller1980 Jedi Knight

Jul 12, 2010
    Fett IS dead. But what else would you expect from a glorified Stormtrooper?

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

Nope; it's canon, although it's not actually Maul, according to leland, although that's pretty obviously the story's intent.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  18. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    This simply comes down to whether or not you accept EU as part of the Canon universe. There is no official opinion on this, and there shouldn't be, in my opinion. Hell, there are people who completely ignore the prequels.

I say Boba Fett lived, because i want him to. I love him and he deserves a warrior's death. Not like he's gotten that in the EU, he's too much of a draw. But he definitely doesn't deserve to be a burp.

But if you're not a big fan of the Fett or simply don't like the EU, Boba Fett died. It's your choice, no reason to argue.

19. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Not really...the reason the continuing saga of Boba Fett was possible is because one could reasonably construe that Fett could have survived the sarlac. Even if the novels hadn't been written, the possibility still exists.

20. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    GL says Fett is dead. So if you don't think Eu is canon he is dead.

21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Well, if LUCAS says Fett is dead, I guess I should throw away that action figure.... [face_skull]

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Hilarious.

TBH, I don't care that the EU brought back Fett, I do care that the writing was bad. His first appearance in DE was cool, but then it turned into a bad chase non-story. And the Fett trilogy, I don't have words about how boring that was.

23. Gundark31

Gundark31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2010
    Well Boba Fett was one of the original designs for Darth Vader, so it's easy to see why he would become a fan favorite.Lucas said in the ROTJ commentary that killing him off in that fashion was a mistake and I think everyone can agree on that.

He even escaped the sarlacc in one of those old Marvel Star Wars comics.

Lucas could just make a short scene of him escaping the sarlacc as an easter egg on the Bluray or something, it could easily be done with CG.

24. ArBeater

ArBeater Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2010
    Fett is alive! He had the means to and it is said that Dengar saved him. No debate.

FETT LIVES!

25. AdmiralVorec

AdmiralVorec Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2006
    I'd love to see a link to this somewhere.

The fact is Boba was killed off in one of films most ridiculous ways. I'd compare it to Steven Seagal in Executive Decision. Pretty damned pathetic for such an iconic figure. Because he was so immortalized (Boba) he needed to come back in the EU. It's believable that if he was to be digested over years, that he could find a way to survive for at least a couple days (in a small pocket in the stomach without being in the acids). Then of course he could blast himself out or burn the sarlacc with his various weapons. I like Boba... yes he died in the films. But I think the EU way of bringing him back was possible, and justified. The Emperor was just silly.

What would have worked better would have been a clone of Boba as opposed to him escaping. As he was a clone and many were made, it's possible one lived somewhere in the world, maybe even getting back to his roots of the Mandalorians. Maybe even working for another Hutt somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.