main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett, Jaster Mareel, and this Episode II SPOILER

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Aug 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Dan Wallace of LFL, told how Lucas Loved dark empire so much he gave it out as christmas presents one year.

2. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    LFL approves everything, at least for the past two years. George is way to busy with his movies right now. He had no time to stop and review books that contradict and take place after his movies are done.

3. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Yes, GL did like Dark Empire. But just because he liked it does not make it canon.

4. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    No, but he did aprove the outline.

5. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    No he didn't. And if he did, where is your proof?

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    hmm, that works both ways, were's your proof that says Lucas doesn't look at the outlines?

7. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I can't find the quote, but Lucas did say he was way to usy to approve books and comics.

8. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I can't find the quote, but Lucas did say he was way to busy to approve books and comics. that's LFL's jobs!

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    well, if you don't get a quote no dice on believing you. As for quotes as to lucas approving outlines(which by the way are 1 pge only, and easy for lucas to scan and comment on, I can get you some quotes from several sources, but it'll take me a few days, probably this weekend, since schools is taking up my time.)

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Here is one for starters:

"Can you sketch out for us the editorial process that resulted in The New Jedi Order series? How involved was George Lucas in the details of planning and plotting the various books, and in the choice of writers? How much independence do the writers have . . . and how much do you have as editor?

We started our planning sessions with the agreement that we wanted to do a vast, multibook series. Then we brainstormed ideas: What kind of crisis would face our characters? How did we want to see both existing generations of characters develop through the series? What would we find most exciting to play with?

Once we'd come up with a sketchy outline of where we wanted to go, start to finish, we had to get it approved from on high. For example, as I mentioned earlier, we were told we could not kill off certain characters. We originally intended the enemy to be dark Force-users; we were told they had to be non-Force users. We had a certain plan in mind for one of the characters; we were told to use a different character for this particular plan.

That was about the extent of George's involvement -- unless there was more going on behind the scenes than I was aware of. The writers have all been chosen by mutual consent: some of them were suggested by me and approved by the folks at Lucas Licensing. Others were suggested by Lucas Licensing and subsequently approved by me."

11. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I was talking about Dark Empire. Of course Lucas got involved with the first novel of NJO. Notice that since Episode I came out, authors are no longer aloud to have Sith after ROTJ. Dark Empire is now consider AU thanks to TPM. Anakin destroyes the Sith FOREVER....Lucas said that.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, when I find you the other quotes from my collection, you'll see he was involved in the early days of Bantam, and darkhorse as well. Your just BSing.

"Dark Empire is now consider AU thanks to TPM"

No that's your oppinion. Currently Dark Empire has been incorporated deeper into EU Chronology and official timeline of the universe in the official star wars: Gamer #5 magazine, and the Darkside Sourcebook.

While you might consider it AU, LFL does not. Go ahead and keep up your oppinions it's not like they count as anything in discussion of what LFL dictates.

13. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    "..Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy and bring balance to the Force, by destroying the Sith forever and getting rid of evil in the universe"--George Lucas

Please tell me how Dark Empire doesn't contradict what Lucas said himself and what is said and done in the movies.

Anakin Skywalker's sole purpose for living was to bring balance to the Force by destroying the Sith forever. Dark Empire would have never been written if they knew about the Chosen One and his prophecy back then, or at least there would be no Sith in it.

EDIT: My opinions are based on two factors.....
    1. What is said and done in the movies.
    2. What George Lucas says.

Who created Star Wars? George Lucas
    Who says the Sith are gone forever after ROTJ? George Lucas

14. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    " and getting rid of evil in the universe"

Did George Lucas actually say that?

Oh well then.You'd better not read any EU,because obviously evil still exsists in the universe in the EU,with or without the Sith.

15. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    GL didn't say evil was gone forever, he just said the Sith were gone forever.

Of course there has to be evil after ROTJ. Who else are the new Jedi Knights gonna fight if there are no thugs around doing evil things?

16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    BTW it was Lucas's idea to have the villain of the Jedi Academy trilogy be the spirit of a Sith Lord.

I thought the Sith were gone out of the universe?

17. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    <<
    Lucas does NOT approve those books himself, smart guy. Do you really think Lucas sits down and reads all those books and comics? No way, he is busy making canon Star Wars material. And For your information it is LFL that approves the books.
    >>

No. He approves the outlines to each and every one. I never said he read the actual completed stories.

<<Dark Empire came out in '96 and back then they had no idea about the prophecy of the Chosen One. But now that the prophecy of Anakin Skywalker exist in the Star Wars galaxy and now Dark Empire is AU. >>

Wrong again. Dark Empire came out in 1991-92. The prophecy did not contradict anything. If you think it has, please explain, so I can shoot down the lofty theory like the pesky fly it is.

Edit - And if you care to explain it, please specify how this contradicts the EU with examples. Because I haven't seen any.

<<I have most EU books and comics, but I look at them as sperate universes and everything works out fine. You cannot mix the movies with EU now days, they contradict each other. They didn't contradict each other until Episode I came out, and Episode II will have even more contradictions in it. >>

Good for you. You see contradictions where we don't, and where Lucasfilm Licensing does not. Props.

18. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    From an Q&A session witrh Sansweet:

"To Steve Sansweet:
    How much is George Lucas involved in Star Wars outside of the movies?
    George ok's a rough outline of comics, books, etc."

xezene likes this.
  19. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    "The prophcey of the Chosen One is basically Anakin Skywalker bringing balance back to the Force by destroying the Sith"--George Lucas(try shooting that down).

I was wrong about that and I aplogize, Lucas does approve the outlines for the stories.

Matthew Trias--The Jedi Academy trilogy came out before TPM. GL didn't know at that point in time that Anakin was the Chosen One or that he destroyed the last of Sith when he killed Palpatine.

You must remember that GL often changes his mind about things. There was a time when there were going to be 9 Star Wars movies, now there are only going to be 6.

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    <<"The prophcey of the Chosen One is basically Anakin Skywalker bringing balance back to the Force by destroying the Sith"--George Lucas(try shooting that down). >>

First I need to know what it contradicts in the EU. I don't see how the return of Palpatine negates the Force being balanced and the prophecy fulfilled.

<<Matthew Trias--The Jedi Academy trilogy came out before TPM. GL didn't know at that point in time that Anakin was the Chosen One or that he destroyed the last of Sith when he killed Palpatine. >>

It doesn't matter. Lucas suggested Kun be a Sith - not only for the JAT but the Dark Lords of the Sith and Sith War comics as well. And by coincidence, him and Maul both had double-bladed lightsabers, and both accounts of the rise of the Sith, thousands of years before ANH, both came about the same way - a Jedi Knight turned to the dark side and amassed a group of followers who became Sith Lords.

<<You must remember that GL often changes his mind about things. There was a time when there were going to be 9 Star Wars movies, now there are only going to be 6. >>

You must remember that the movies change things. There was a time when no one debated the return of Palpatine, and now they think TPM contradicts the EU, when that is not true.

21. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Anakin Skywalker is the Chosen One, and the Chosen One brings balance to the Force by destorying the Sith forever, which Anakin did at the end of ROTJ. But, in Dark Empire(5-7 years after ROTJ), Palpatine comes back and still is a Sith. There is the contradiction. Because if balance is really restored and the Sith are gone forever, like GL says, then Palpatine cannot come back.

"The Sith are kinda of a menace to the Force. They destroy life, the Force creates life. And that is what causes the imbalance in the Force. Basically the Force creates a son to destroy the Sith menace forever. And that's what Anakin does."--George Lucas

"The prophcey of the Chosen One is basically Anakin Skywalker bringing balance back to the Force by destroying the Sith"--George Lucas

"..Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy and bring balance to the Force, by destroying the Sith forever and getting rid of evil in the universe"--George Lucas

"Anakin is the Chosen One, not Luke"--George Lucas(just in case your one of those people who think he brings balance through Luke)

Now, with all that having been said and various quotes from GL, can you please tell me how Dark Empire doesn't contradict the prophecy of the Chosen One.
    ---------------------------------------------
    <<You must remember that the movies change things. There was a time when no one debated the return of Palpatine, and now they think TPM contradicts the EU, when that is not true.>>

That is the whole point of all this, Sturm Antilles, movies do change things, and my point is that some of EU will have to be viewed as AU by the time the PT is done.

I don't want you to get me wrong, I'm a pretty big EU fan, but when EU says one thing and GL and his movies say another, I side with GL and his movies. Dark Empire is the only thing I can think of that actually does contradict the movies, but I still enjoy Dark Empire, because I look at all EU and the movies as two sperate universes, and everything works just fine!

22. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    <<Anakin Skywalker is the Chosen One, and the Chosen One brings balance to the Force by destorying the Sith forever, which Anakin did at the end of ROTJ. But, in Dark Empire(5-7 years after ROTJ), Palpatine comes back and still is a Sith. There is the contradiction. Because if balance is really restored and the Sith are gone forever, like GL says, then Palpatine cannot come back. >>

But he did. That doesn't contradict anything.

<<Now, with all that having been said and various quotes from GL, can you please tell me how Dark Empire doesn't contradict the prophecy of the Chosen One.
    >>

I still don't see a contradiction. If Lucas said, "Palpatine can never come back, because Vader destroyed him in ROTJ", then we'd have a problem.

<<That is the whole point of all this, Sturm Antilles, movies do change things, and my point is that some of EU will have to be viewed as AU by the time the PT is done. >>

No. That's a defeatist attitude. TPM only had a couple of large issues...some dealing with the Sith and Jedi ( easily fixed by the Jedi vs. Sith comics and SW Gamer ), Greedo ( still not officially fixed, although theories abound ), and Quarren and Mon Calamari existing in the Republic Senate and Jedi Temple circa the Rise of the Empire period.

No other contradictions have arisen from TPM's release.

I already see some problems with AotC, but it's nothing that's un-fixable, continuity-wise. Lucasfilm Licensing is already preparing for it, having LucasArts, Wizards of the Coast and Del Rey work within the continuity and fix problems as they arise.

<<Dark Empire is the only thing I can think of that actually does contradict the movies, but I still enjoy Dark Empire, because I look at all EU and the movies as two sperate universes, and everything works just fine!
    >>

There's nothing wrong with that. But don't tell us otherwise when we've gone over this tons of times...DaJames, Valiento and myself have already explained the Dark Empire/Chosen One thing so many times that I think we just burned out on it. So far, no one has challenged our answers or theories with anything credible. If you want more ( we didn't really go into our full ideas in this thread ) then I can direct you to some past threads that have our theories based on the prophecy and how Vader affects the Force and Palpatine in ROTJ.

23. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    It would be nice if I could blend Dark Empire in but I still don't undertsand how. Lucas said the Sith are gone and aren't ever coming back after ROTJ, so it would be good it figure out how in the world I could blend it all into one simple formula or something like that.

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, you better stop reading EU, with you defeatist attitude. DE, is the basis for a big chunk of the EU.

JAT, I' jedi, takes off were DE trilogy left off, and mentions the emperor reborn.(slash it out gone bye bye in your limited view.)

Well, since DE is AU(In your view), and JAT along with it, you'll have to take out any post JAT stuff, that mentions Anakin Solo, and Jedi Academy influences, or palpatine reborn(that's quite a bit, including Hand of thrawn).

It's a domino effect, that will destroy most the EU, so, your best bet is to quite reading now, so you can be happy.

Of Course Lucas has also said that Fett is dead in interviews as well, after ROTJ. Well, several stories, have him still alive, and show how he escaped, you'll have to take those out of your EU as well, if you are so limited to think Lucas is always right.

Lucas Also said that Darth meant Dark in Dutch on Entertainment Tonight once.(which is also so very incorrect, the man BSs quite a bit just so he can get the fanboys off his back) He even dissed the fans before(Told them to get a life, and not take his movies to religiously). Lucas is no God, thank you very much, he's as infallable as the rest of those on the mortal coil.

25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    By killing Palpatine at Endor,Anakin freed the Galaxy from the Dark Side's iron grip.The Empires hold on the Galaxy postEndor ,was never as strong as it was pre Endor.The light Side and the Dark Side were Balanced.Neither was too powerful.

In Dark Empire,the Light Side and he Dark Side were balanced.

If Anakin hadn't killed Palpatine at Endor,him and the Emperor would've just escaped the Death Star before it blew,and come back with a regrouped Imperial Fleet to destroy the heavily damaged Alliance Fleet.

Balance would never have restored and...well..there you go...

There was Balance durin DE. Neiter the light sight nor the Dark Side were too powerful.It was Balanced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.