main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Boba Fett" not said in ESB...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-John Kenobi, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    This one always puzzled me. Everyone referrers to him simply as "Bounty Hunter" in the movie. (of course, he still is named in the credits, although the Force only knows how people would know this. "Who played "Bounty Hunter? Doesn't say!" )

Now, obviously the answer is Boba wasn't the cult figure we know him as today,but was treated as the "Man With No Name".

Going simply by the films, we know Han and Chewie know who he is, since in ROTJ Chewie apparently names him to Han who repeats "Boba Fett? Where?" ( I always thought the ANH SE hinted at a past between them,as it seems Han points at Boba when he says "Don't send one of these twerps!")

I suppose Vader could know his name, but simply calls him "Bounty Hunter" since it seems the profession is looked down on by the Empire.

The biggest question mark is Lando. He only ever refers to him as "Bounty Hunter" in his conversation with Han. I guess they never crossed paths? Han never mentioned Boba? It seems a troublesome issue should Lando & Boba both be included in a "Young Han" film. Are they destined to continually miss each other like Anakin & Grievous in TCW?

2. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    We all knew his name back in 1980 because of the Kenner action figure mail-in, and the Holiday Special cartoon. Word got around!

As to whether Han or Lando knew his name before his appearance on Bespin, or before Han's rescue on Tatooine, that remains an open question, especially now the EU has been, ahem, disintegrated.

SateleNovelist11 and rumsmuggler like this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Boba Fett wasn't in the original Jabba scene, he was added in post.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    ... twenty years after it was written and filmed!

5. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The TESB novelization, released a bit before the film, also used the name.

7. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    It's because Boba Fett was created solely to get merchandising dollars from kids.:p

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I thought it was common knowledge. Boba was created for TESB so he couldn't possibly be in a scene shot before '77.

solo77 likes this.
  9. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The Boba Fett carton was the only redeeming feature of the Holiday Special.

Man I wish I could wipe the rest of it from my brain :_|

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Right, he first appeared in the Holiday Special, but his appearance was based on early designs for TESB.

11. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    I thought they had a past, which was how Boba knew to hide in the trash to track the Falcon, he was aware of Han's tricks.

But in the commentaries it says he learned it from Obi Wan doing the same with Jango...

12. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    That was my reason for the gif. I don't see why you would think I didn't know something so completely obvious.

My point was that Fett was probably put in that position by design to play up the unspoken rivalry between the two.

Anyway, it seems a common thing that people always rush to point out the blinkin' obvious to me around here. It just happened to be your comment that finally pushed me to a place of sarcasm. No offence was intended.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not the most appropriate gif then. Murphy's reaction is of someone who's pretending to understand what he's being told.

I wasn't implying you didn't. My point was that since Boba was added in post, there was no implication of a rivalry at the time. Unless you're saying that was the reason he was included in the scene (which I don't think it was).

14. Obi-John Kenobi

Oct 30, 2012
    I was pretending to understand why you felt the need to explain something like this, hence the gif seemed appropriate.
    Either it was intended or another fortuitous "accident" that it appears Han is pointing in Boba's general direction. I tend to think the former,but in any event, Boba was ultimately added for "fan service".

15. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    My parents didn't even know his name until I talked about him a few years back. "Boba who?"

Davak24 and Darkslayer like this.
  16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    We talked about this in another thread actually. I think Vader is being professional, or imperious, when he says, "Bounty hunter." He doesn't want to say his name, and he prefers to keep things formal. I think it's fairly common, as well. It's also because they've had run-ins before, since I go by the old EU. He regards Fett as excellent, but he doesn't want to get chummy with him. Also, Darth Sidious hires Embo to do something important for him in TCW. He addresses him after he senses what happened, saying, "It seems your mission was a success, bounty hunter." Just a way of speaking with someone on the surface. More business-like. That's my take.

17. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    For real?