main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett (OT) Purist

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by C-3PX, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I see someone just had to stir up this one again. Time to go to work.

I have always seen him as "just another bounty hunter" who got tons of fanboy/girl hype. I can't stand the way how in the OT he does almost nothing, yet he has a huge fan base. And then when I learned he was brought back in the EU, I was mad.

This is rich...someone who gets MAD over a fictional character he had nothing to do with, and refers to the ones who like this particualr character as "fanboys/fangirls". Look in the mirror, son.

I always laugh when he screams like a girl as he falls into the sarlacc pit.

I'd love to hear the sound you would make if you were falling to your death.

How is one of the best? He never did anything except ferry cargo from Cloud City to Tatooine. Sure he followed the Falcon, but he either told Vader or Vader figured it out himself, but Vader was the one who captured Han and his party at Cloud City. Not Fett.

Ready to have a death star sized hole shot into your ramblings? Here goes...

Why is Fett "the best"? Lucas wrote it that way. As for Vader and his troops capturing Leia, Solo, and Chewie. I believe Vader's words to the Boutny Hunters were...."There will be a substantial reward for the one who FINDS the Millenium Falcon. FINDS....not CAPTURES. Try harder, next time.

Okay Bib posted. He raised his post count. He's a cool dude. We can continue to ignore anything he posts

Most people, myself included, would take Bib on his worst day over you on your best.

There. No matter how much you gripe...Boba Fett is a part of Star Wars. Thank you.

2. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "I'd love to hear the sound you would make if you were falling to your death. "

I don't know about a scream. I always thought I'd make more of a gurgling choked off yelp.

"I believe Vader's words to the Boutny Hunters were...."There will be a substantial reward for the one who FINDS the Millenium Falcon. FINDS....not CAPTURES. Try harder, next time. "

Okay. He demonstrates the same skills as the tracking device planted on the Falcon in ANH. How does this make him the best?

As far as what GL says, he also said Boba Fett died in ROTJ.

"There. No matter how much you gripe...Boba Fett is a part of Star Wars. Thank you. "

I never said he wasn't. I accept the fact that the Fetts are a big part of the Star Wars myth. I don't have to like the character though.

3. --Darth_Dude--

--Darth_Dude-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2004
    ObiWanJohn
    Ya I know. I'll just pretend I didn't read that bit. Whether I, or the general public, like it or not, Boba's a clone and he's the brother of all the clone troopers, but Jango's dead so it evens out.

I'm just going to pretend I understood this... actually, no I'm not. What's your point there?

4. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Darth Dude,
    Where the previous poster said he didn't accept the PT.
    I agree with you. You can't accept the OT and not the PT. Its all part of Star Wars.

5. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Okay. He demonstrates the same skills as the tracking device planted on the Falcon in ANH. How does this make him the best?

How does it make him the best? I believe I answered that one.

Tracking device? They didn't know where the ship was. Can't put a device on something you can't find. The Imperials thought the Falcon went into hyperspace.

duhhhh..... Boba knew better. He wasn't fooled by Han's trick. He found the ship, and reported it to the person who was PAYING HIM TO FIND THE SHIP.

I'd say Boba earned his pay quite well.

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    You can accept the OT and not the PT. You can accept the PT and not the OT. You can accept the OT, PT, and EU. You can accept just the EU, if you want to. You can consider the whole thing to be just a bunch of silly stories to watch or read when you're bored.

It doesn't matter. It's all fiction anyway. Whether you think Boba Fett is a clone of his father who died in the Sarlacc, or some guy who escaped from it, or Jeremy Bulloch in a suit standing in front of a camera, you're perfectly free to have that view of the SW universe, and nobody has the right to say otherwise.

There is absolutely no problem with C-3PX only accepting the OT. It doesn't affect anyone else, and it only increases his enjoyment of the story. What's wrong with that?

And this is from someone who likes the PT, BTW.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It doesn't matter. It's all fiction anyway. Whether you think Boba Fett is a clone of his father who died in the Sarlacc, or some guy who escaped from it, or Jeremy Bulloch in a suit standing in front of a camera, you're perfectly free to have that view of the SW universe, and nobody has the right to say otherwise

Well said! I totally agree! :)

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I like Fett. He was a cool, quick character, served his purpose, and ended.

The suit got a bit overblown I think. In many instances he is virtually indestructable, an uber armor.
    I always liked to think he just had really good equipment, perhaps specialized, perhaps not, it really didn't matter.

Fett had a visual appeal, the armor is cool looking. A cool look, a few lines, he captures Solo and exchanges with Vader. This caused a curiosity among many fans, which lead to Fett being blown out of proportion. Even GL said at one point he did not understand the fandom that Boba got.

9. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    coughthreestrikepolicycough....

Lets not fight over what fiction is best.
    We all have our own opinions.
    I take what GL gives us....not everyone does that...oh well.

This seems to be an endless battle of quoting the other members and stating how in your opinion they are wrong.

It is getting no where.

Oh well.

The Rickmeister is coming!

10. Lightbulby

Lightbulby Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2004
    I didn't even notice Fett until AOTC came out. After that I checked on the Star Wars internet community and learned more about Fett.

After reading some of the EU, I believe that AOTC added to Boba Fett. His reasons for hunting was from being a Daddy's Boy. Of all things. The 'best' (depending on who you ask,) bounty hunter in the galaxy, completely ruthless and uncaring, was once a kid who loved and respected his father.

Of course this is just my opinion and can be completely disregarded. :p

11. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    it's a good thing that there are zero contradictions, then.

Do you ever get tired of repeating the same tired propaganda? Saying it over and over does not make it true. [face_plain]

Meh, Boba Fett. What is there really to say. It was always alluded to, in all forms of SW, that there would be a connection with him and the Stormtroopers. So I see no reason why it's a silly thing to include it in the PT considering the Stormtroopers and their origins/Clone Wars are a major theme. It just makes sense.

As to the EU and Boba Fett. The authors can't really be blamed for getting his origins wrong being that they had nothing to work with. So they made their own stories/origins.

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    ObiWanJohn, I'll be seeing you in 48 hours. You earned strike 3 in this thread, that and you were flaming so that earned you some additional time. I hope you enjoy your combo vacation!

With that said, perhaps things can go back to being civil?

13. Shang-Chi

Shang-Chi Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2004
    Well, there never seemed to be much to Boba Fett in the OT to me. Sure, he looked cool, and he was pretty menacing, but...eh. He died easily (and threw some horrible shots at Luke right before he went kaput), but he was never one of my favorites (but as a kid, his action figure was far and away the coolest).

I've also enjoyed all of the EU Fett stuff, especially the short stories by Daniel Keys Moran (the one in Tales of the Bounty Hunters with Han, and the one in Tales from Jabba's Palace [which is credited to J.D. Montgomery, but it's actually Moran]). However, the two never jived to me. EU Fett seems *much* more talkative than OT Fett. In the movies, Fett said...what, 20 words in two movies?.

That's why I sort of like the PT Fett. Gives the movie Fett more character.

14. --Darth_Dude--

--Darth_Dude-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2004
    ObiwanJohn
    Where the previous poster said he didn't accept the PT.
    I agree with you. You can't accept the OT and not the PT. Its all part of Star Wars.

Ah, I see. Sorry I was abit caught up in the heat of the argument, my bad. :)

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I agree, the EU background added so much more to the character, which makes me appreciate what he does in the films even more.

16. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    It seems fitting to me that Boba and the Stormtroopers were cut from the same cloth, seeing as niether one can hit jack.

One a side note not to "purposefully flame, bait, troll in an already established "canon thread" or has the plans to create a new 'war'" prehaps the EU reaveals that at times Boba is in fact aiming at the walls around his target in order to get him/her in a good, open location so as to take them out there. What a strategist. Right.

17. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "Okay. He demonstrates the same skills as the tracking device planted on the Falcon in ANH. How does this make him the best?

How does it make him the best? I believe I answered that one.

Tracking device? They didn't know where the ship was. Can't put a device on something you can't find. The Imperials thought the Falcon went into hyperspace. "

Good point. However how does that make him the best? There are alot of people capable of tracking in the GFFA. A droid can do that.

18. Hutt_Slut

Hutt_Slut Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    I never really liked the EU explaination of Fett so when AotC gave us the canon background I was really pleased. It also makes Vader's attitude toward Fett in Ep V have a bit of background. He knew Fett would find him and he knew he was an agressive and troubled character.

19. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    But Fett dealt with Obi-wan primarily. Why would Anakin/Vader think anything about him, especially 20 years later?

L8r

20. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "He knew Fett would find him and he knew he was an agressive and troubled character. "

Ya that's why he addressed him by his name, Bounty Hunter. Boy what a great example of the amount of respect Vader has for Fett and bounty hunters in general.

In society, bounty hunters are and have always been regarded as less than. That's apparent in the OT on both sides, the Empire and the Rebellion. In our history the offical law hates bounty hunters. Most of them are just security gaurds who couldn't make it as cops. All you need to be a bounty hunter is a gun and a bounty. That's it. No training required.

Sure Boba Fett had no training that we know of but I assume he got something out of living on Kamino. Jango obviously didn't teach him how to shoot. I mean Jango actually hit a Jedi 5 feet in front of him. And the Jedi was facing him. Boba couldn't even shoot Luke when his back was turned.

Also in the EU, Dark Empire II, a wounded Wookie, Chewie, rips off Boba's helmet and sends him rocketing into the ceiling. So even with all of his nifty gadgets he still couldn't fight off an unarmed assailant(sp).

In the A.C. Crispin Solo triology Calrissian gets the drop on Boba with a pistol. Gee what a great bounty hunter Fett is.

21. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    I like Boba - but bringing him back from the dead is nothing but a lame ploy to sell more books.

22. Hutt_Slut

Hutt_Slut Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2004
    So, you guys are denying that Vader knew of Fett's reputation in ESB?

Wow. I guess I was watching something else. lol

23. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "So, you guys are denying that Vader knew of Fett's reputation in ESB? "

Not me, it just appears Vader has about as much respect for Fett as he does for a slug. Further, if Fett was such a baddie why did Vader have other bounty hunters on the Executor? If Fett was the best Vader wouldn't need anyone else.
    As a matter of fact, Lando says the Empire beat them there, Solo and Comp, not the bounty hunter. Is it possible Fett figured it out and sent the Imps a message? Sure. Is it more probable the Imps figured it out all by themselves. Yes. After all, there was the Dark Lord of the Sith on board the Executor.

24. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Good point. However how does that make him the best? There are alot of people capable of tracking in the GFFA. A droid can do that.

If thats so, then why did the Empire bother hiring Bounty Hunters? Why not just send probots?

Ya that's why he addressed him by his name, Bounty Hunter. Boy what a great example of the amount of respect Vader has for Fett and bounty hunters in general.

That scene makes it perfectly clear that the Empire would rather chew off their own arms then hire scum like bounty hunters...but when all other methods fail...you sometimes must swallow your pride and do whats necesary.

Most of them are just security gaurds who couldn't make it as cops. All you need to be a bounty hunter is a gun and a bounty. That's it. No training required.

Ignorance on top of everything!

And the Jedi was facing him. Boba couldn't even shoot Luke when his back was turned.

Lets see you shoot a Jedi whilr the deck you are standing on is pitching and shaking.

Chewie, rips off Boba's helmet and sends him rocketing into the ceiling. So even with all of his nifty gadgets he still couldn't fight off an unarmed assailant

Enraged wookies are known to be able to do that sort of thing.

In the A.C. Crispin Solo triology Calrissian gets the drop on Boba with a pistol. Gee what a great bounty hunter Fett is

In the ESB, a legion of stormtroopers were defeated by primitives with rocks...gee what fearsome force this Empire is.

Keep settin em up, my friend, and I'll keep knockin em down. [face_laugh]

25. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "Lets see you shoot a Jedi whilr the deck you are standing on is pitching and shaking. "

It wasn't pitching or shaking. It was quite still when Fett was trying to shoot Luke.

"If thats so, then why did the Empire bother hiring Bounty Hunters? Why not just send probots? "

Who says they didn't? Besides, anyone could logically deduce Bespin as a possible landing site derived from the last know location of the Falcon. That and other systems that were around. You can't travel forever in Hyperspace.

"Ignorance on top of everything! "

I'm not insulting posters why are you?

"Chewie, rips off Boba's helmet and sends him rocketing into the ceiling. So even with all of his nifty gadgets he still couldn't fight off an unarmed assailant

Enraged wookies are known to be able to do that sort of thing."

Yes they do but Boba Fett is the best. He has all those nifty gadgets, yet Chewie still snuck up on him and beat his butt.

"In the ESB, a legion of stormtroopers were defeated by primitives with rocks...gee what fearsome force this Empire is. "

The Empire was outnumbered and the rebel's didn't start winning until Chewie took over the AT-ST. If was just the Ewoks vs the Empire the Ewoks would not have won. Chewie vs Fett is one on one. A much different kind of fight.

"Keep settin em up, my friend, and I'll keep knockin em down."

But you really haven't. Nice try though. The fact is Fett's reputation is overblown. There is plenty of visual evidence to show he wasn't that special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.