main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett = Overrated

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Cerus, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Cerus

Darth_Cerus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    Well that's my opinion anyway.

He does nothing over the course of the films to justify his reputation as the most notorious bounty hunter in the galaxy. Let's not forget he was killed by a guy who was temporarily blinded. And it needed the might of the Imperial Army and the Emperor's right hand to catch the guy he's been after all this time.

So what do people see in him? Is it the jetpack? What is it? Non-EU reasons prefered.

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    by "doing nothing" there was an "awesome aura of mystique" about him, they say. Personally, I agree with you. Standing around with a bucket on your head does not make you incredibly cool. :p

especially without the EU. (And even there I like Boba in only 2 stories: No Disintegrations, Please and Bloodlines)

3. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    The entire Fett family is overrated. Think about it:

-Jango is hired to kill Padme. Instead of just doing it, he sub-contracts out to Zam.
    -Jango is the basis for the clonetroopers, many of whom go on to be Stormtroopers later, and you'll be hard-pressed to find anybody who thinks Stormtroopers are exactly effective troops.
    -Jango dies rather easily to Mace Windu after being trampled by a big ol' Garthok-lookin' creature
    -Boba hides in a trash-bin and follows Han to Cloud City
    -Rather than actually make the capture himself, he calls in a whole Star Destroyer-load of Stormies and Darth Vader to make the catch for him.
    -Boba dies to a blind Han Solo.
    -They all bonk their heads. A lot.

But, hey, they've got gravelly voices and look bad badass...that's what matters, right? :rolleyes:

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Without bringing EU into it, Boba is very overrated. Jango is still cool though. He managed to go toe to toe with Kenobi and if his jetpack wasn't damaged by being trampled by the reek, then his Mace battle would have been even better. He still would have died though.

5. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Had Boba Fett not died a punk's death in ROTJ, his persona would have been more mysterious today. As it stands, he went out very poorly.

I won't even go into Jango Fett and what the PT did to the Fett aura... :rolleyes:

6. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    The problem with that statement, tho, about the PT doing something to the Fett mystique, is kinna weird. I've never seen Boba Fett as Captain Badass the Destroyer the way most folks did after ESB. His death in ROTJ made perfect sense to me, and the PT just confirmed what I always knew.

I don't think the PT or ROTJ did anything to the so-called Fett mystique...except maybe finally clear it up for other people.

7. SarlaccsDinnerParty

SarlaccsDinnerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2006
    Look at avatar;)

The bounty hunters are a pretty huge part of the saga and Boba/Jango are the icons of the bounty hunters and they are the prototypes of the stormtroopers. Boba in the OT was perhaps a bit of a minor charecter but now that Boba jr, Slave-1 (in action) and Jango who I think is a realy cool chracter has been added to the story, my answer is no. And whats silly about that cool looking helmet?

Lets be a bit honest[face_plain] The Fetts kick butt!!

8. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, I would agree that he's over-rated. To me, he's never been nothing more than a cool looking characater, but that's about it. I've never been inspired to go dig up some EU material on him or anything.

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Some of the EU material on Fett is pretty good, and that's coming from someone who isn't a Fett fan.

Just avoid K.W. Jeter's Fett novels at all costs, unless you want a non-medicinal way to fight insomnia.

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    He's overrated for the most part, but that's largely because of how the EU turned him into this larger than life character who was able to fight Mace Windu when he was 16. I like most EU, but Fett's an exception. Jango I feel is less overrated though.

11. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    [face_laugh] Roger that!

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    only SW book I never finished ;)

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It took me three attempts to get through them. It was tough to do.

14. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    I gave up on a few Kevin J. Anderson books. That guy's a blight upon the series.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I tried to get through those novels as well. All I can say is "Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwn."

Let's see:

The good:

Boba finds the Falcon, gives a little back talk to Vader and lives to tell about it, and collects not only the reward from Vader but gets Solo back to Jabba for the bounty as well. That's pretty smart if you ask me.

Jango gave Obi Wan a run for his money in one on one comabat and a space battle, and killed a Jedi on Geonosis.

For both of them, a cool ship and cool armor and weapons.

The bad:

Boba killed by a mostly blind Han Solo via surprsie attack. That's no excuse though, he was too absorbed with trying to shoot Luke and should have been paying attention.

Jango lost his head to Windu. I have to give Jango this much though; what non-Force user could have done any better?

16. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Boba Fett was one of the coolest characters in ESB, in my opinion.

Lucas destroyed the character in the 2004 DVD editions and prequels.

17. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    while I would agree that the Fetts are overrated, I don't think its fair to claim that they are overrated, and limit the reasons to non-EU. The Fetts reputations were made in the EU. If we just follow the progression, even counting the special editions, Fett was with Jabba on Tattooine when Jabba meets Han in the hangar bay. Doesn't do anything. Then he is smart to capture Han, but, again, a minor role. He has that stupid nonsensical nod in Jabba's throne room, and then is "killed" by Han shortly thereafter. From the films, ANH, TESB and ROTJ, we get a minor character, who does get to do a few things, but overall isn't all that. He becomes a minor cult hero. Then, We start to get Star Wars comics, and the EU books start coming out. THIS is where the Fetts reputation comes from, not from the films. Its from the comics, books, RPGs, handbooks, etc. Then, by the time we get to the Prequels, there is an EU based legend surrounding him, and then his father Jango. So, I think its unfair to call the Fetts overrated, based on their EU-created legends, and then disallow EU based arguments as to why they aren't overrated. I think its only fair to discuss the overratedness of the Fetts by also including the EU into the discussion, since thats the primary source of their "legendary" status.

18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

QFT..
    If the EU was allowed in this dicussion, then it would be very different, especially since Boba didn't die in ROTJ.

19. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    The only reason boba was overrated in the OT was because the fans made him overrated. They saw a cool looking character and wanted more. I personally love the fetts. Its funny to think that they are the best bounty hunters in the galaxy, but are also the most unlucky people. They have all these gadgets, training, skills and experience, but its as if the will of the force just doesnt like them. Jango is always hitting his head on things, his jetpack shorts out when fighting windu and he doesnt notice it. You can see right before he looses his head he tried to boost in the air. The most vile and effective killer of the time is about to kill the last hope of the jedi, and han just happens to smash into him. Believe in luck or the will of the force; whatever it is, it doesnt like how good the fetts can be.

20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I agree with your statements.

21. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Boba Fett was given his reputation by the fans; in the movies, he was originally just another character made to be killed by the good guys.
    Jango Fett, on the other hand, had a much bigger role. Why? Because of the fan-reaction to Boba. Lucas never anticipated the popularity of Boba, so he decided to capitalize off of it with another "Mandalorian Bounty Hunter."

Now, just going by the movies, I doubt that Boba's intelligence is overrated; he did what the Empire could not. He found Han Solo, and informed the Empire of his whereabouts and destination. He also had the balls to do what virtually no other character in the OT did: question Vader. Not only did he question Vader, but Vader gave him respect, pretty much acknowledging him as an equal. How many others in the OT recieve that treatment? Tarkin? Palpatine?

22. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    It wasn't just the fans that made Fett such a prominent character in our minds. It was also all the peripheral literature about the movies at the time. When you read "He's the best bounty hunter in the galaxy" and "hidden weapons" so many times from so many different sources, you start to believe it. Crazy huh? Then there was the cool armor and all the possibilities that it provided (possibilities that just blows me over that Lucas never took advantage of). So..overrated? Definitely. But it's not the fault of the fans alone, it's Lucas and Lucasfilm's fault as well for not delivering as advertised. Just like the action figure that was Fett's first introduction to so many original fans. You know that mail in rocket firing one that advertised a firing rocket but then came with the rocket glued in? Such a sad character. He was a great idea that was never allowed to live up to his full potential.

23. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    =D= Couldnt have said it better myself!

24. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    There's a quote from The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius that would totally fit my feelings on what you just said...unfortunately, it's filthy and probably violates the TOS in its full glory, so here's the censored version: "Boy, you can dress my mama up like a whore, but that don't mean I'm gonna @#$% her!"
    Meaning? Well, basically, it doesn't matter what gets said about Boba Fett, outward appearances can't change the essential nature of whatever you're disguising.

Think of it like the Stormtroopers: "And these blast points...too accurate for Sand People; only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise," says Ben, but we all know the Stormtroopers can hit squat when it comes right down to it...because of what we see on-screen.

So while you're saying that Boba Fett didn't live up to his hype, you're correct...but you seem to think that he was short-changed, that the hype was the truth and his on-screen actions were the lie. I thnk the whole point of this thread is to disagree, to say that the hype is the lie and his on-screen actions are the reality of Boba Fett. Even if the original poster isn't saying that, I sure the heck am.

Just sayin'...

25. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    Hawt. Just PM the translation to me [face_batting]

:p

But yeah I agree, his on screen hype doesn't live up to his off screen hype. And I'm kinda dissapointed with the former.

Meh. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.