main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett = Overrated

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Cerus, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Izzy rilly? Where where where where where?
    This better come from a real source, or my Fett figure will make your television viewing experience most frustrating.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Translation for the uninitiated:

Jamiebacca's singularly skilled Boba Fett figure changes the channels on his television set, evidently to the lifelong annoyance of his sister. Any more profound details than that regarding this fascinating remote control appliance in the shape of an underrated bounty hunter will have to come from the Jamester himself.

As to VLM's assertion about Fett being on the TV series, I read a quote from Lucas on TF.N just last week which contradicted that! GL said there would be "background characters" in the show, ones that we did not know anything about. This would seem to exclude the semi-major, non-extra speaking part of Boba Fett. Can someone out there set the record straight?

3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Boba Fett is a background character. [face_mischief]
    He's only a "foreground" character in RotJ SE where he was added walking through the picture too close to the camera :p

It'd be nice if he were to end up in the TV show - as long as he's voiced by Tem Morrison :)

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Fett is to have a few episodes, maybe more, maybe less. The kid that plays him in AOTC is gonna be in the suit and everything. I didn;t think this was a mystery.

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I realize you're just baiting me here ( :mad: :p ), so I'll play along! Boba Fett has lines of dialogue, is in multiple scenes, features is medium close-ups (in ESB), and performs a vital, if minor, role in the story.

And of course, you're thinking of ANH: SE in the walk-on. So there. Nyaaa. :D

6. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    I don't understand this "hiding in trash" objection, as if that somehow disqualifies Fett from being worthy of fan praise. He's a /bounty hunter/ -- and as such is likely to perform all manner of unsavory tasks in the pursuit of his quarries. That he's willing to go that extra mile and actually /hide in garbage/ is a testament to his effectiveness as a mercenary operating outside the law and outside the rules.

Secondly, he did not as you say above "correctly /guess/ the Falcon's destination". Fett may have guessed the Falcon would use the trash dump as a means of escape, but he followed the Falcon to Bespin undetected, as we see in the final shot of the Star Destroyer/garbage sequence.

And last, no one has ever contented that he's "the best character ever written"! You're setting up a straw man and knocking him down. Stop that or I'll have Jamiebacca sic his remote control Boba Fett on your television set. You want mysterious? Try figuring out what channel he'll put it on next! BWA-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Pardon me. Halloween Fever, or something. Movel along, move along. [face_whistling]

7. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Nuh-uh! He got pasted into the foreground in Jabba's palace a few dozen times. That's what I meant.

It's not the fact that he hides in trash that makes him suck. Hiding among the trash is clever. But it's about the only clever thing he does and that doesn't deserve the high praise he gets. It's one little thing.

Uh, he didn't follow the Falcon all that time and landed 2 minutes before they did. That would be even stupider than I make him out to be. I do give him enough credit to figure out their course and notice that Bespin is the only damn thing anywhere near. He had to contact Vader, after all, and it takes the Executor a little while to get there, too and take over the city in time.

Which reminds me of someone who does something very similar, but a lot better: Garindan :cool:
    *starts thread "Garindan = Underrated"*

8. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Good call. They certainly enhanced his presence in the SE ROTJ, showing him macking on the alien ladies and whatnot (I for one am happy not to look at Max Rebo's reaction shot every time something happens in Jabba's chamber!) However, in the OU version, there are medium close-up's of Fett drawing his weapon on Bousshh and later dropping it. Also, as I'm sure we all know, his name is spoken aloud by one of the principals (two if you count Chewie!) and he has a spectacular -- if inglorious -- on-screen demise. Fett has no lines in ROTJ, to be sure, but then again his role in the saga is finished once Han has been curried to Jabba's keeping. I'd agree that in ROTJ he's somewhere between a background character and a bit player. ESB is quite another matter....

But that's his entire purpose in the story! He fulfills his role as an efficient and unpredictable bounty hunter, and that's all he has to do to earn his street cred. Word.

Those are excellent points, and I have to agree that at some point Fett must have calculated the Falcon's course "along their last known trajectory" before he called Vader on his celly. Don't discount, however, that the Executor had hyperspace capabilities while the Falcon was "limping" along at sub-lightspeed. This means they might have got quite close to Bespin before Fett made the call. But I digress.

Hey! Good point! Garindan is like the proto-Fett in many ways. He tracks our heroes undetected and leads the Empire straight to 'em. But come on -- Garindy didn't even have to hide to do it, or use his powers of deduction, or fly through space in a cool-looking ship designed by Nilo Rodis-Jamero. Therefore, Fett wins. :p

9. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Yet I got this from a recent TF.N article about SWTV:

The live action series will not feature or have anything to do with the characters that we know and will take place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

... and this from a GL interview with MTV from October 9th, 2006:

... the show... will star "background" characters from that time period.

"None of the Skywalker story, none of that stuff is in there," [Lucas] explained, shooting down any depiction of a young Han Solo acquiring the Millennium Falcon or running with Lando Calrissian. "It's completely different. The animated series has got all the characters in it. The one that comes after, the live-action one, is with people who were in 'Star Wars,' but they're not the main characters."

Lucas said the plot will be steered by characters such as Tie-Fighter or Rebel pilots, most only briefly glimpsed in the six "Star Wars" films.

I regret to contradict you, VLM -- heck, I'd /love/ to see Fett in any capacity on the SW show! -- but it looks as though his inclusion is as yet an unsubstantiated rumor. :(

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I stand correted then, for now...

11. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    Boba Fett=Awesome!

12. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    This is my Fett figure flying over to you and giving a pat on your head, and a wink, which of course you can't see behind the bucket.

13. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    hmmm....maybe a TV adaptation of the X-Wing stuff, with Wedge and Tycho? maybe going against the 181st?

14. Knight-8311

Knight-8311 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2006
    Fanboys unite!

15. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    LOL! I've never understood what the heck a 'fanboy' is. I'm male, and I'm a fan. Aren't all of us males who post here? Therefore, are females who post here fangirls?

(to Avril Lavinge's 'Complicated')

Why does everyone say Boba Fett's Overrated

16. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Why does everyone say Boba Fett's Overrated?
    See the way that
    All of this conversation's gettin' me a bit frustrated.
    Life's like this:
    You fall, and you crawl, and you're ate,
    and you bake, now you're dead,
    and a thou-sand years di-ges-ted.
    Honesty promise me I'm never gonna find ya made it
    No no no...

17. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    =D=

Again!

Again!

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  19. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I don't post here too much, cause i still have the PT bug, but I had to post in here. Boba Fett overrated U say?

Not really. He is the most loved star wars character of all time. he talks cool, looks cool, fights like a bad mutha and his clones destroy the jedi order. how's that overrated? plus he has the best ship in the galaxy. Modified & with sonic charges! much better than the MF. Plus the guy captured solo. what U mean he didn't do anything? I think that's pretty major. He also got along very well with jabba and from the looks of it he hooked up with 3 girls in the palace.

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I'd just like to point out that if you're being hired by the Empire for a special mission and are standing on the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer Executor, you're probably creme-of-the-crop. :)

If you were a hard working, regular citizen of the SW galaxy and one of those guys started prowling around your block, you'd probably get the chills.

The fact that they're on the bridge of the Executor is enough of a testament to their... *ahem* "badassery".

21. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004

that's what i'm saying. he's the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. so hows that overrated? I say lock thread just for that.

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Oh yeah? Zuckuss got mistaken for a droid and IG-88 doesn't even have knees. I think they just got whoever could make it to the Executor within an hour or so :p

23. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004

lol, IG-88 can move fast, didn't U see the clone wars cartoons? those droids can run pretty fast. Zuckuss, I don't know too much about him, I guess he can smell his prey from far away or something.

fett got hired by the empire, jabba and the emperor probably.

he was Boba's sidekick in ESB and took care of Han solo pretty well. He also managed to do among many other things along the way. but not to mention again, he is the only son Jango fett ever had. and he is the last of the clones ever left.

24. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000

Those were Jango's clones, not Boba's.:p

[face_laugh]

25. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    they are all the same. Boba is a clone of Jango & Jango is a clone of Boba. so they are the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.