main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett = Overrated

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Cerus, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-WanKenobi06

Obi-WanKenobi06 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2006
    Interesting question and one that goes through some peoples minds. I don't agree that he's the greatest character in all of Star Wars, but I do think he is interesting. Even if you hate him, you have to admit that he made an impressive impact amongst the fans for the little screen time he had.

Why is he so popular?

Simply put: his legend. The fans fell in love with the legend of Boba Fett. He is considered this bad-ass bounty hunter that isn't afraid to attack someone that is wielding a lightsaber. He managed to capture Han, when no other bounty hunter could. He is descended(kind of...) from the Mandalorians. All of it is really intriguing. It's the same thing with Darth Maul. He was in only one movie, but he gained a lot of fame and fans. If not for anything, but his evil look. Boba had...interesting armor. It's the legend and the air of mystery around Boba Fett. It was cool for young kids who watched SW. You could fill in the mystery with whatever story you wanted, you could wonder how he gained fame, etc. It's not his actions in the movies, but what he represents mostly.

2. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Boba is the greatest star wars character ever. no contest. his armor is cool, yeah I agree. but something that I loved about it was that he had wookie scalps hanging from his shoulder. Alot like Grievous had lightsabers hanging from his belt. so that tells you that he killed many wookies in his time. after the PT of course. I think the equation between his ship and his armor makes him what he is.

and yes, boba is cool in the PT too. I loved to see him as a kid in the slave 1. that was awesome!

3. Obi-WanKenobi06

Obi-WanKenobi06 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2006
    Well...your response kind of negates my point.:p

It's hard to say he's the "greatest"....

4. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004

Well, I personally think that Boba fett could kick the heck outta Darth Vader :)

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  6. jadenkorr81

jadenkorr81 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2006
    Master Katarn beat Fett at least once.:D I beat him too.:D

[face_laugh]

7. Sgt_Cade

Sgt_Cade Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    I think Boba Fett is kinda cool - I don't buy into all the elite Boba Fett BS that some people claim though. He just had cool armor, a blaster, and a cool voice..well..before they re-did it that is. At the time in ESB I figured Han and Boba Fett had some kind of history, mainly Boba Fett knew what Han was thinking which is how he was able to catch him. I don't know, Jango and Boba are alright I just don't think they are really worth all the hype.

8. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    How would Boba Fett counter Vader's use of the Force? Do you think that his helmet would prevent him from being choked? Or that his armor couldn't simply be crushed? Or that he has the speed to avoid Vader's saber? Or that Vader couldn't simply absorb his blaster bolts? I guess I am asking, since his father lasted all of a few seconds against Mace Windu, and he is just a clone of Jango, how could he realistically compete with a Dark Lord of the Sith?

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  10. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Same here. I think Boba's cool, but I hate how everyone- even Lucasfilm-sanctioned authors- treat him like he's Punisher by way of freaking Robocop. Like he's some invincible demigod.

Yet, from what we see of him in ESB and ROTJ, he's not that good. Well, he's good. He's well-armed, and knows how to use his toys, but he's not the be-all end-all bounty hunter that he's often portrayed as elsewhere. In ESB, he outsmarted Han and played it quiet, without firing a single shot or throwing a single "witty" one-liner. Were this a traditional EU story, Boba would've blasted through the Falcon's hull, shot nine Rebel guards who are inexplicably aboard the ship (and not a single one gets a chance to blink), blown Threepio apart, tazered Chewie, and held Leia with a gun to her head before saying something like "Game's over, Solo. This falcon's wings have been- CLIPPED." Then we'd probably hear a wailing guitar, 80's style.

In the movie, he can't even shoot Luke. Granted, he's firing warning shots- but the EU Boba wouldn't even do that. He'd fly over, fire all kinds of crazy crap and have Luke in some electric net, ready to hand over to Vader.

As ridiculous as his death in ROTJ was, it's an understandable one. His focus was somewhere else. He doesn't have eyes in the back of his head- yes, I know his helmet's got all kinds of stuff installed, like backwards-aiming cameras and a pencil sharpener and a damn cappuccino maker). I've always seen his weaponry and gadgets as being "just in case"- he doesn't expect to actually use all of it, but he's just well-prepared, and more than a little paranoid.

(and just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I do hate the way he died- I was just using that as an example to illustrate my point)

My point is, the one thing people keep forgetting is that he's not Superman. He can't just magically do everything with inhuman precision. Sometimes when he fires his gun- guess what? He misses! He's not a robot. He's not Hercules. He's not a Jedi. He's not a badass who destroys everything at every opportunity just because there's a passing reference to disintegration in the movie. He's a guy with some quick wits, a crapload of armor and weapons, and the notion that he might use it at some point.

11. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I can't believe someone dug this thread up again after I and my vintage figure clearly won this debate.
    He is not overrated. He is over-awesome.

Boba. Is. Cool. Like. One. Word. Sentances.

(pauses to think, takes another sip of cranberry soda)

Actually. One. Word. Sentances. Are. Annoying.

It's. Like. Someone's. Cramming. Their. Point. Down. My. Throat.

Who. Started. This. Lame. Trend. ?.

First. Time. I. Saw. It. Was. On. That. Ain't. It. Cool. News. Website. Or. Maybe. It. Was. Here. In. This. Very. Forum. Yes. That's. It. It. Was. To. Praise. Some. Episode. 2. Fan. Fiction. It. Said.

Best. Fan. Fiction. Ever.

And. It. Wasn't. I. Mean. It. Was. Okay. But. Nothing. To. Write. Home. About. I. Think. Only. Geeks. Do. This. To. Rave. About. Some. Pop. Culture. Fixation. Anyways. Back. To. Reading. The. Best. Forum. Ever.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    you need to stop your off-topic rant and start watching The Simpsons [face_peace]

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/icons/miscellaneous/comic_book_guy_misc_fp2.gif]
    Worst. Rant. Ever.

13. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Boba would have been a cool charichter had he killed like Lando or Han or dare I say it... maybe even Luke. :(

Point: He never killed anybody in the OT or the PT for that matter!=P~

The ONLYreason he was over-raited in the first place was the mystery of rocket Fett. The kids thought, oh cool this guy's got a rocket launcher... and he's after Han, cool!

14. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Jamiebacca's vintage Fett: What other reason could you POSSIBLY need?

15. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    and he's based on Eastwood's character in the great spaghetti westerns by the master Sergio Leone.

[face_dancing]

all we need now is a character based on Tuco... wait a minute. We've got Dengar.

16. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006

Here I'm going to put this very simple.

The way Boba was craped up by George I would say (without the EU involved) Bossk could beat stupid Fett. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.