main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Boba Fett - Possible Spin-Off (Cancelled - See Page 57 for Details)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Django Fett, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    What month and year were the Rogue One and Han Solo films each announced?

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Gareth Edwards was announced as the director of a standalone in May 2014. We got the title March 2015, and info about the plot in April at Celebration. The Han Solo film was announced July 2015 alongside the director and writer announcements. The Boba Fett film was evidently supposed to be announced at Celebration 2015 as the film Josh Trank was working on, but they canned that at the last minute.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah Trank was supposed to be there. And when he didn't show up, a lot of people start to think that something was up. Now the question is, is the film canned, or do they just want to find a different director?

4. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    True, But there is a pretty full frame around the picture, so to speak. We have seen him as a widdle skwappy kid, pouting about the jedi killing his dad. And we have seen him stand around and look awesome untill he gets pinatta-ed into the sarlac. Watching the Many Adventures of this Guy You're not Supposed to Like, isn't super appealing.

Hmmmmmm. Now this on the other hand could work. Predator or Jaws. Basicly an adventure/horror film with Fett as the boogy man. Yeah that could be cool. Only problem is that part of the reason those movies work so well and are so fun, is that the shark and Predetor blow up. So you kind of loose a lot of wind if you know your boogy man wins. I mean predaor/jaws/alien/thing all have super "cool" spooks, but I never watch and think, "wow that 25 ft Great white Shark is so cool, I can't wait for him to eat Brodie and Hooper and Quint!"

Yup I'm back to "No" for a Fett film

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No news on this front...? [face_waiting]

6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    No. I doubt we'll hear anything until Celebration, where I'm kind of expecting they'll announce the movie during the Future Filmmakers panel. That's assuming they'll have one, of course, but they have the past two years so I think it's a safe bet.

Avnar likes this.
  7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    why does everyone hate josh is it just because of the fantastic 4 is that movie really that bad? he talked about it himself, saying it was pretty bad which is odd. I think he sort of got himself blacklisted.

8. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Just seen Logan, I'm betting all my money on Disney snapping up James Mangold for the inevitable Boba Fett movie.

cerealbox likes this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

I think there was more than we heard about publicly. It's not that the movie flopped, it's that he was a personal mess and not the guy you want to put in control of $200,000,000.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Pretty sure he was just pissed because the studio made him reshoot major parts of the movie to fit the generic superhero formula. Disney wouldn't want to be involved with a guy who badmouths studio execs for not letting him have his freedom, so they dropped him.
    [​IMG]

11. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't think Boba Fett is a strong enough character to centre a film around. I'd love to see him on the big screen again but I'd prefer if he had scenes in the Han Solo movie.

The Regular Mustache and 11-4D like this.
  12. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Here's a decent overview of the industry gossip: http://screenrant.com/fantastic-four-reboot-josh-trank-fox/

Specifically, here's what THR claims was behind Trank's departure from Star Wars: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/inside-a-star-wars-firing-792933

These rumours are the reason many are down on Trank, and the F4 reshoots aren't really a big factor.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    kegs202, I agree. I know it's a controversial thought, but I'm also not convinced Boba Fett alone is versatile enough of a character to center a whole film around. I would actually prefer a film centering on Bounty Hunters in general, and perhaps focusing on a small group of them, with Boba Fett being sort of the main character-kind of like Suicide Squad. But in this one, including multiple different bounty hunters could make for an interesting and versatile experience. I will admit it may not be as appealing to Joe moviegoer, but to any SW fan I'd bet they'd eat it up!

I for one would love to see live action versions of Hondo (although he's more of a gang leader-but it still fits), Aurra Sing, Cad Bane, and more of ones like Bossk, IG-88, etc. Whatever their canon fates were, it could totally work if they set it during the events of the PT.

Dagobahsystem and kegs202 like this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    As I said before, the really interesting and original route they can take this film down is to set it post ROTJ. Hell, even start the thing with Fett escaping from the sarlacc.

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That's my feeling too. I'm not sure a Boba Fett standalone would work. What's his story? Why should we be invested in him? He's a blank slate that wears a cool looking uniform. Having him star in his own movie is like if they made a movie about Jaws from the old James Bond films. We all love Jaws but is there enough there to hang a movie on? No. Same with Fett. Dude could be cool facing off against Han and Lando but I can't see it going beyond that.

ladygrey45, DARTH_BELO and kegs202 like this.
  16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    You can make a good story out of anyone. OT Boba is definitely an underdeveloped character who can be fleshed out and made a whole lot cooler in the hands of a skilled writer and director.

I think Filoni said that stories get told when they have someone excited to tell them. Just having an old script and concept art in a filing cabinet isn't enough. The story needs a director keen to make it. Maybe at the moment this story has a bad feeling around it which kills it.

17. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Said George Lucas about Jar Jar.

18. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm in the camp that beleives Jar Jar could have been a fun secondary character with better lines and editing.

19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I've hated Jar Jar since I first saw the film as a 4-year old, but I'll readily agree with this. I'm a firm believer that there are no bad characters, just bad writers. Out there, there is someone who has an incredible Boba Fett script inside of them. I just hope Lucasfilm ends up hiring that person.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'd like to know what happened to Boba post ROTJ, even if it's not via a film.

DavrelKex, Trebor Sabreon and Krueger like this.
  21. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    There's a fan edit where he speaks an alien language, and his lines are subtitled. It helped immensely.

22. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Having just seen Logan (which was fantastic BTW), and seeing several of his other films as well, I think that James Mangold could be a really good choice for a Boba Fett film.

And then of course there's Peter Travis (who directed Dredd 3D).

Darth Nave likes this.
  24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Read like a Trump tweet...

GregMcP and Artoo-Dion like this.
  25. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I wouldn't feel terribly confident in a film based solely on Boba Fett, but I think that a film about bounty-hunting has tons of potential to be dramatic and entertaining, and if they were to make such a film, Fett would likely be the face of it. And that's what I imagine the plan would be.

Just jumping into this discussion so I don't mean to repeat anything that might've already been said, but I think that he should keep his helmet on the whole time, and while it might be a controversial thing, I'd love it if he never spoke, or only spoke in a gravelly tone. Even Temuera Morrison's voice through a vocoder, maybe. Something to keep him from sounding too relatable or personable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.