main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett returns? (Spoilers for the Legacy of the Force series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedi979, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm only a Perfect English Gentleman on the outside. Inside, I'm the quintessential evil British actor type Hollywood villain :p

You do have a point. I found Last Man Standing a brilliant short story and a great insight into the mind of Boba Fett, which explains my distaste for the Ailyn storyline which seems to contradict what I deem to be superior and more canonical work.

That could be true. I could see Fett at being shocked his daughter had followed in his footsteps, seeing as it is dangerous work and a lot of parents want their children to do better than they did in life.

As for the not wanting a family of his own, can we be safe to assume that the line, "The Sarlacc's genetic soup had messed his biology up so much that he couldn't have children, even if he had wanted them," is not actually an abstract but a complete sentence? :p

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Yes, there's an inconsistency (or is there?) in the Fett storyline, but let's not forget something: the Sintas/Ailyn story is bad. It was poorly conceived by a magazine, at a time that mag was NOT considered canon. The Gamer status is a non-issue; the issue is that the story was invented by a freelance author who didn't know what they were writing about at the time.... and the subsequent stories are just badly written. <<<

Wrong. Gamer always was canon; only the fans were confused. Of course, the Tales story wasn't canon, but since its been referenced now, it is.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think its important to pretty much overwrite that story completely

4. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    "Also, I disagree with -E-, Attack of the Clones establishes Boba as coming from a very good family environment. I don't see why he wouldn't want one of his own."

Who said he didn't? We've never really gotten into why he chose his morality - obviously, it's dangerous for him and his mate. He knows life with a parent who didn't have a mate (could've been great, but I feel that Jango would've explained why he chose to reproduce in the manner he did. Money's one thing, but he wanted his own kid...without a romantic-type relationship. There were other, more 'fun' ways he could've gotten the kid he wanted. He made a choice first.)
    I don't suppose that Fett would always have to remain single, especially considering how he evolves emotionally throughout his life. But what he's gone through - orphaning, rough teenhood, and acceptance of his life as a hunted hunter...people can react in differing ways. Compensating through a bevy of babies, or a calculated abstinence.

*Whew* You know, I love the idea of a Fett girl, but I (and the bulk of people I've seen posting elsewhere ("TFNers think everything's canon!"), just don't think the Vel story hacks it. I await what Traviss has to say on the matter. Maybe she'll redeem the whole darn deal in one book, who knows?
    If Keys Moran did anything, it was bring a good off-topic sex debate to boards everywhere. Sheesh.

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    "TFNers think everything's canon!"

Yep. [face_peace]

6. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Personally, I'd rather the Vel storyline was overwritten rather than Last Man Standing.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    May I ask what Last Man Standing contributes other than contradicting every other portrayal of Boba Fett from the fact that he willingly kills 2000+ Imperials in one Adventure Journal to being lying, cheating, scum in the Bounty Hunter Trilogy to the fact that he's a flirt in Return of the Jedi along with a supposedly "moral" man whom nevertheless hangs around with crimminals in every appearence he makes?

and I for one want to have Fett actually have a family.

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    A) The Adventure Journal thing is a bit dumb, and should never have been written.

B) The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy is the most terrible book series I've ever laid eyes on, including Hambly and Anderson's Callista trilogy. If that could be eliminated from canon, I'd glady get rid of it.

C) Lucas added that scene in for the Boba Fett fanboys to highlight his "uber-coolness," and as I've said already, Fett may not have been the one flirting. He stood there with two dancing girls watching the Boushh thing go on, and then he excused himself. For all we know, he could've been uncomfortable with it under the helmet, and just tried to do what most men do when out of their depth with women and improvise.

D) I for one, would prefer it that he didn't.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    So basically Spike, what you're saying is Last Man Standing was cool, damn the rest of it?

;-)

10. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    What I've ascertained:
    Bounty Hunter Wars = Highlander 2.
    Discuss amongst yourselves :p .

Yeah, I read them when I was a kid. Chose to repress them, and have been strangely applauded for doing so.

11. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yup ;)

What can I say? I'm a perfectionist :p

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought the majority of hiccups was with Boba Fett in TFJP, not Last One Standing in TOTBH?

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Would Jangotat's child also be affected by the premature aging genes the Kaminoans put in?

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I doubt it.

Real life Clones have a shortened lifespan because of the fact that essentially there's a part of our body that more or less dictates how long we live (in our cells, I can't remember the name of it) but clones have the lifeline of their already aged donar while children have "normal" lifelines.

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    You're thinking of telomeres, but that only happens with some clones. Some cows, for example, actually have longer telomeres when cloned. Shortened telomeres also wouldn't lead to rapid maturity and growth, which is what we see in Kaminoan clones.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There's just one problem, and you'd figure I'd be the one to think of it . . . ;)

What? It's true. Anyway . . .

Fett told Organa in his excellent Jabba's Palace story, A Barve Like That, it was his longest conversation he'd had to anyone in a very long time. Thus any prior talking in stories he does *must* be shorter to conform with "continuity."

And believe me when I say I don't give a forest of Treebeards either way. :p

17. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Ah.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, though I'm boundless in my faith that Karen Traviss will make it all better.:p

The very phrase, "a very long time" is a somewhat nebulous and ill-defined one, my good fellow.;)

Orc-minded.

18. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    I for one say that it should've been Jangotat's son who got Sintas pregnant. Hell, maybe it was Jodo Kast. Nothing would make me want to kill someone more than having them pretend they were me, knock up some random Kiffar and then abandon them, giving me some little hormone-hopped up teenage "daughter" who wants to kill me. Though, considering how Jangotat's son is technically Boba's son as well due to them being clones of the same person, genetically, Aliyn would be his daughter. Instant retcon, Mando'ad style!

19. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Both being the clones of Jango, aren't Jangotat and Boba more like twins than father and son?

20. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    No, I meant that both being exact genetic copies of each other (almost. Jangotat was still giving those little modifications by the Kammies that made him more docile and age faster etc.) Jangotat's son would have the same genes as Boba. Meaning, if he looked like his father, he would also resemble Boba.

21. Havet_Storm

Havet_Storm Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2004
    Ok I already knew about Fett being in this, but why do people keep titling threads with something that they think is a spoiler then putting spoiler in brackets afterward. People will have read the title before being told it's a spoiler. Nothing personal with the original poster, this has just been bugging me for a while.

22. QuinlanColodin

QuinlanColodin Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2006
    LOl, the Highlander two reference is great. Couple of pages back someone tried to suggest that vel might be Jangotats daughter, that's kind of impossible as she was born in between ROTS and ANH. She is a good deal younger then Luke and Leia. Jangotats child would have been born before Luke and Leia as Anakin is still mentioned as being a Padawan in Cestus Deception. Plus Jangotat was killed in Cestus Deception so he couldn't have sired her later pretending to be Boba who would have been at most 13 when his brother Jangotat died.

23. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    Then it was Kast. Or the Magical Mando Fairy of Fertillity(TM) came down and impregnated Sintas.

24. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Jaina Solo's lesbian fling with Boba's daughter.

That would be hawt.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The "Tales of..." stories were never not canon to my knowledge. The "Tales" comics were the non-canon "Tales" stories that people reference.

So, yes, technically IG-88 took over DS2... (though there was a very nice fan-retcon about that posted on here... ;))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.