main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett: seriously....I don't get it!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FallenKnight88, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTyper

GTyper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    How sad you feel the need to say something like this.

Ummm ... okay.

Saying someone is 'Ethnically Challenged' just because their narrow mind figured that he would automatically have white skin under his helmet, is a racially charged comment no matter what way you care to look at it.

I don't think anyone said that he was "ethnically challenged" for those reasons. I didn't gather from the comment that he was saying he thought he would be caucasian, african-american, hispanic, asian, native american, indian, etc and so on.

I gathered that he was saying that because of his skin color - it was hard to distinguish his racial background.

Like I said, it was a stab at the fact that it is hard to discern his ethnic background. A joke that didn't go over well, and was in poor taste.

The 'problem' GTyper with todays society is idiots like you who dismiss 'innocent' comments like this as nothing.

I'm an idiot because I don't allow myself to become bent out of shape by other people's potential prejudices?

When I saw Jango Fett his race / skin colour wasnt an issue. It never even entered my head. I never even began to think of his ethnicity.

Nor mine - until I read the comment about him being "ethnically challenged" ... which made me giggle because when I DID think about it ... I had no idea what race he was.

Yet someone feels the need to say that they expected a white man and all they got was a 'Ethnically Challenged' man.

No one EXPECTED anything nor did anyone espouse to expect anything. They were saying upon inspection they couldn't easily clarify the race of the individual.

Again, it was a poor choice of humor. But it was an attempt at humor, nonetheless.

Challenged how exactly? As his skin is not white he is somehow 'challenged'?

Yes. He's challenged because he's not white. Is that what you want to hear?

I've said it numerous times above, if you have gotten the gist of it by now - then repeating it won't help.

GTyper, I suggest you get lessons on how racism starts and how skin colour shouldnt even come into peoples thinking, especially when they feel they have been 'let down' because he wasnt white.

Racism is the choice to expect differences from someone based on their race and treating them differently because of this.

I saw none of that here. I failed to see that people were 'let down' because he wasn't white. I fail to see anything here other than someone being hypersensative about race ... that person is you.

Perhaps you should realize that racism also come out of coddling those you think you are helping when you consistantly badger people. Humor is humor. If he had made a joke about a white guy being white, would you have issue? Probably not. If he had said that the reason Anakin lost to Obi-Wan is simply because "white men can't jump" ... you probably wouldn't have an issue. Yet, this is stereotyping and a demonstration of racism.

The fact that anyone would have this double standard is in and of itself - racism.

Before you brandish the sword - understand what you cut.

You also make extreme judgement calls on limited knowledge. Ease off the trigger.

Pathetic.

Yes, I agree.

2. GTyper

May 23, 2005
    EDIT: BTW, I dont take advice from someone who posts the ammount of nonsense you are posting above in a thread on Bob Fett.

You dedicate enough time to the person though. Strage.

What the hell are you drivling on about above? Internet? Monkeys?

A discussion has the ability to sprout legs and change direction due to things that are said.

That is the magic of conversation and the free-form nature of it. Kind of like this comment you made, it has steered the conversation off into another direction.

May I re-direct you to the thread title and get this thread slightly more interesting than the self-important drivel being spouted above.

You may, but I'll probably tell you to go enjoy an inflatable doll's mouth, but that's just me.

ITS STAR WARS! ITS FUN!

Yet, you are the person trying to turn the discussion on Boba Fett into a racial debate. Please.

Please stop with the 'Im oh so clever' **** that you have posted and go on a Microsoft chat room instead.

Well, actually, I am 'oh so clever'.

The problem here, my friend is that in a battle of wits - you come completely unarmed.

Now, if you would like to return to a civil discussion - be it about Boba Fett's importance or race - then please do so. But, stop with the insults, and I will stop with mine.

3. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Boba Fett was cool in Empire Strikes back. It wasn't his fault that the first half of Return of the Jedi was poorly written (and he still looked cool).
    I agree with the comments that the inclusion of him as a boy and of Jango as the basis for the clones made a large universe far too small. I also thought this about Leia being Luke's sister (Vader being his father was different, that was central to the plot), Chewbacca being in PT, etc. Sometimes I think Lucas is too obsessed with family connections and useless inter-relations between films which do not help the story; he certainly makes us for this problem in other ways, I don't want to be a Lucas basher. But to the point, it was Boba Fett's mystery which made him cool (plus the armor) and taking the mystery away in PT hurt his character's legacy.

4. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    With any luck.

Doesn't this quote undermine that somewhat?

It wasn't that difficult to assume your motives when, however strongly you may feel about Fett one way or the other, you made your entrance in this thread declaring that anyone who thinks Daniel Logan is a good actor should impale themselves on glass.

Now, I'm not exactly fond of Logan's portrayal of young Boba in AotC, but that's not a very pretty image, nor do I think it was neccessary, and it certainly did nothing for my first impression of you.

I'll check but I'm quite certain I never stated that I felt you could do a better job.

In that case, apologies are in order.

5. GTyper

May 23, 2005
    It wasn't that difficult to assume your motives when, however strongly you may feel about Fett one way or the other, you made your entrance in this thread declaring that anyone who thinks Daniel Logan is a good actor should impale themselves on glass.

It was completely toungue-in-cheek.

Do you really think I thought people should impale themselves on glass as a result of their opinions?

It was a goofy way of stating my opinion in such a manner as to be silly. I'm sorry it was lost on you.

Now, I'm not exactly fond of Logan's portrayal of young Boba in AotC, but that's not a very pretty image, nor do I think it was neccessary, and it certainly did nothing for my first impression of you.

Of course it wasn't necessary. Nothing is really NECESSARY. It was a descriptive statement - meant as a joke. Seriously ... you people need to lighten up around here.

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I think the misinterpretation might be forgiven. I've heard similar sentiments expressed in all seriousness.

7. GTyper

May 23, 2005
    I think the misinterpretation might be forgiven. I've heard similar sentiments expressed in all seriousness.

Never from me, I promise. I'm more likely to insult you in a witty way (ala Howard Stern) than actually express any real emotional anger.

Some people are too pent up - I'm not one of those people.

Again, sorry.

8. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    GTper,
    Thanks for the info on the internet.

Quiet_Mandalor,
    I see you like to argue semantics. I also see you gave up your argument on the origin date of the internet. Does that mean you are wrong?

Dont forget this, posted on page 9, which you have'nt answered yet:
    Well, I've been waiting,,, Please tell me, how does my avatar effect what I posted? I've held this opinion of Boba Fett for longer than the Internet or "avatars" have existed. Would it be better if it was Han Solo? Darth Vader? Jar Jar? Please tell me what effect does a picture in an internet forum have to do w/what I posted about Boba Fett?

Actually you did answer this. You choose to ignore the challange and attack what you thought was incorrect information. Still, you have'nt answered the challange. How does my avatar effect my opinion of Boba Fett?

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    No, I'm right. I still maintain that the internet, or it's immeditate precursors, outdate Star Wars.

The answer to your charge is simple enough. You chose to attack Boba Fett on the basis of, what was it? Being characterless filler (completely untrue, of course), or something like that? And at the same time your on-screen avatar is the PT's most notorious and blatant example of fan-boy eye-candy.

Interestingly, you also seem to have attributed one of Mandalorian_Crusader's posts to me.

Perhaps accuracy in your charges is not so much important to you as simply "stickin' it to 'em good." o_O

10. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    And at the same time your on-screen avatar is the PT's most notorious and blatant example of fan-boy eye-candy.

Okay. Again, how does that effect my thoughts on Boba Fett? Because I like good looking women my argument is less valid?

The answer to your charge is simple enough. You chose to attack Boba Fett on the basis of, what was it? Being characterless filler (completely untrue, of course), or something like that?

Finally, he responds. I was not attempting to show Boba as characterless filler. That was Lobot. I was merely pointing out he did nothing special in ESB to earn the reputation he did. I'm not talking about the post Dark Empire reputation. I'm talking about the rep that developed between ESB and ROTJ as "the most fearsome bounty hunter the galaxy has ever seen", which led to his resurrection in Dark Empire, when all he did was track the Falcon. Something a mechanical device did in ANH. In ROTJ he shot at Luke, twice, while Luke's back was turned and missed. Both times. Yup, real fearsome. His skills are no more advanced than the best trained military troops of the time. That makes him average.

11. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I simply thought it rather ironic that you would be criticizing Boba Fett as having done nothing to warrant his reputation or fan-base, when you've chosen as your avatar Aayla Secura, a character who while in the EU is interesting enough, does virtually nothing at all in the films and has perhaps only one half-whispered line that I failed to hear.

That's easy enough to respond to, and by the way, I offer my apologies for being so long about it. I've been rather busy the past few days.

As I've said before, one of the greatest strengths of the character (and I'm speaking of the ESB Fett, quite distinct and seperate from the RotJ knock-off), is not so much what he does, as what he suggests he's done or might do.

Take a good look at him. He wears Wookie scalps over his shoulder, something I doubt anyone not proficient enough to kill them with ease would be foolhardy enough to do. His armour is scarred by innumerable past battles, and literally bristling with weaponry, including the flamethrower (and we know that one is in fact there from AotC), whipcord, flechette launcher, dart launchers attached to his kneepads and, of course, the missile attached to his rocketpack.

Of the six bounty hunters summoned to the Executor by Darth Vader, who we can assume, by his prefered means of dispatching incompetant underlings, would only hire the best hunters for the job, Boba Fett is one, and the only one to whom Vader deigns to speak to directly, specifically forbidding him from disintegrating his prey, implying that that is something he's well known for, further reinforcing his low-key fearsomeness. In addition, Fett actually questions Vader's judgement aggressively on more than one occasion, something that would get a lesser underling strangled instantly. The only logical conclusion to be drawn from this is that Vader must tolerate him because he respects his ability, or else Boba Fett knows enough about those he comes into contact to understand exactly how far he can push.

While it's been argued time and again that any machine could have done as much to track the Falcon, it's worthwhile to note that out of six elite bounty hunters, a fleet of Star Destroyers and the cunning Darth Vader himself, only Boba Fett realizes where and how Han Solo could have hidden himself.

Similarly, it's been implied that since Boba Fett tracked Solo to Bespin, but did little in the actual capture besides announce his presence, this somehow proves that he is an overrated incompetant living on his reputation as some here are apparently ready to believe.

However, this fails to take into account the accepted wisdom of the modern military, whereby the target is to be neutralized with as few casualties and as little expenditure of effort and resources as possible, rather than grand-standing heroics. Boba Fett follows this to the letter by doing no more than neccessary. Tracking the fugitives to their destination, and then letting the Imperial Navy doing the rest, he expertly fulfills his obligation to Vader and no more than that, expending only a little energy from his blaster power cells to keep Luke Skywalker on his toes.

The logical en

12. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    I simply thought it rather ironic that you would be criticizing Boba Fett as having done nothing to warrant his reputation or fan-base, when you've chosen as your avatar Aayla Secura, a character who while in the EU is interesting enough, does virtually nothing at all in the films and has perhaps only one half-whispered line that I failed to hear.

So you assumed I thought Aayla Secura was the coolest character in the saga because I used her picture? You were able to determine the validity of my point based on me using the picture of a throw away character? Wow you must be smart. Oh wait, smart people avoid assuming.

That's easy enough to respond to, and by the way, I offer my apologies for being so long about it. I've been rather busy the past few days.

But you did have time to post comments like:
    No, I'm right. I still maintain that the internet, or it's immeditate precursors, outdate Star Wars.

The answer to your charge is simple enough. You chose to attack Boba Fett on the basis of, what was it? Being characterless filler (completely untrue, of course), or something like that? And at the same time your on-screen avatar is the PT's most notorious and blatant example of fan-boy eye-candy.

Take a good look at him. He wears Wookie scalps over his shoulder, something I doubt anyone not proficient enough to kill them with ease would be foolhardy enough to do.

He killed some wookies? Something anyone with a blaster could do? Why does that make him special?

His armour is scarred by innumerable past battles, and literally bristling with weaponry, including the flamethrower (and we know that one is in fact there from AotC), whipcord, flechette launcher, dart launchers attached to his kneepads and, of course, the missile attached to his rocketpack.

Scarred from innumerable battles eh? Armor or not I think it's better to avoid getting shot altogether. As far as the flamethrower, we know Jango Fett had one. IIRC Boba Fett has a different suit of armor, not his fathers. The only other weapon you mentioned that we see in the movie is the whip cord, which Luke easily cuts, and the missile in his rocket pack. I didn't see any flechette launchers or dart launchers. That's all EU and was added in the 90's. Something else we see in the EU is a wounded Chewbacca strip Fett of his helmet, activate his jetpack, sending Boba screaming into the ceiling. But that's all EU. Back to the movies, in ROTJ we see Boba get knocked down from a stray laser blast, defeated by Luke, who isn't even looking, and Solo activate his jetpack, which sends Boba screaming into the Sarlac. I still fail to see how this shows Boba being any better than any other average character.

Of the six bounty hunters summoned to the Executor by Darth Vader, who we can assume, by his prefered means of dispatching incompetant underlings, would only hire the best hunters for the job, Boba Fett is one, and the only one to whom Vader deigns to speak to directly, specifically forbidding him from disintegrating his prey, implying that that is something he's well known for, further reinforcing his low-key fearsomeness.

There you go again assuming. How do we know these weren't the only ones available? Also, how does taking orders reinforce anything other that subserviance?

In addition, Fett actually questions Vader's judgement aggressively on more than one occasion, something that would get a lesser underling strangled instantly.

Except for Lando, who questions Vader, and survives.

The only logical conclusion to be drawn from this is that Vader must tolerate him because he respects his ability,

Like he tolerates oh, say, Admiral Piett? Not because of ability but out of necessity(sp) maybe?

or else Boba Fett knows enough about those he comes into contact to understand exactly how far he can push.

He pushed? By saying "He's worht alot to me alive"? That's not pushing. That's pouting. As soon as he Vader said he would get his money Fett shut up. Jus

13. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    I think it might well be assumed that smart people could avoid this random unpleasantness in a discussion, but that's merely my opinion. o_O

Only because it's true, from a "certain point of view." ;)

My analysis of his built-in weapons systems were all film-based. If I wanted to go into the EU I could have mentioned the sonic disruptors in his gauntlets, the assorted lasers, the vibroblades, extending and otherwise, the force-accelerating combat gloves........

Do you think Darth Vader would try and get the cheapest bounty hunters in the galaxy?

Well then, going by your reasoning, the fact that a Wookie is never killed onscreen must be infallable proof of their invincibility.

He tolerates Piett because he is at least a competant officer, unlike Needa or Ozzel. He tolerates Boba Fett because he knows what he's capable of doing.

Cloud City produces Tibanna gas, an important military resource. It makes sense that Vader would take a slightly softer approach. And since when do we see him strangling civilians?

And Fett obviously knows that Vader, for whatever reasons, will let him get away with it. I choose respect based on his achievements. What's your choice? Darth Vader's repressed parental indulgence?

So in other words you're saying that he is not a good tracker?

I just gave you a concise list of reasons. You might do well to go over it again.

Care to have it pointed out a few more times?

14. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    I imagine everyone has probably stopped reading this thread by now...but for those of you who are left... Of course you don't get it!!!! And you never will!!! I imagine you probably don't have posters of Elvis hanging in your room either. The huge love of Boba Fett is due to people who saw this movie when they were kids, had no EU and three years to wait till the next film! When I was a kid we played Star Wars ALL the time. Boba Fett was awesome to us because he was the closest thing to a super hero in the SW universe. No, he was never shown using his grappling hook, flame thrower, rocket pack, etc. (unitl ROTJ) but the box said he had these things so we could pretend he did. I loved his costume. He did an excellent job in the few minutes he was on screen of portraying someone really cold and calculating. A good scene for this was the dining hall on cloud city. He was so practical, with all the stormtroopers and Vader next to him, he still waited in the background until Vader disarmed Han before stepping out. Just not willing to take any chances. As far as his screen time goes, you have to remember in ESB there were no aliens (except ugnauts) so the bounty hunters were all we had. This is why each of them has an action figure, and I believe each even has a 12" figure now. You think Boba didn't have much screen time...try finding any decent pictures of Zuckess or 4LOM...I don't think they've even been able to figure out who played these roles for sure. Look at IG88, he was connected to the floor! And you have to remember without all the novels and EU that exist now, nobody in the films really had that much time on-screen, all three movies together were only six hours...how many millions of hours have been spent by fans based on a total experience some one could have in less than a 8 hour work day?

Just to recap, you're not crazy!!! You're not missing anything. If you weren't the right age at that time and forced to invest a huge amount of imagination into him, he will always seem highly over-rated.

15. DarthJohnkenobi

Aug 13, 2004
    I think it might well be assumed that smart people could avoid this random unpleasantness in a discussion, but that's merely my opinion.

random unpleasantness? Than why did your 1st post addressing me point out my avatar? You said:
    And at the same time your on-screen avatar is the PT's most notorious and blatant example of fan-boy eye-candy.

So that isn't random unpleasantness?

My analysis of his built-in weapons systems were all film-based.

Please point out movie related evidence from ESB and ROTJ to support this. If you can.

Do you think Darth Vader would try and get the cheapest bounty hunters in the galaxy?

Who said anything about cheapest? I said maybe they were the only ones available. That actually gives them the ability to charge more. You know, law of supply and demand and all that.

He killed some wookies? Something anyone with a blaster could do? Why does that make him special?

You said: Well then, going by your reasoning, the fact that a Wookie is never killed onscreen must be infallable proof of their invincibility.

How did you derive at that conclusion? I said anyone with a blaster can kill a wookie, thus making Fett's trophy wookie braids not all that special. If you read that as I was saying wookies are invicible I'm scared for you.

He tolerates Piett because he is at least a competant officer, unlike Needa or Ozzel. He tolerates Boba Fett because he knows what he's capable of doing.

Yup. Tracking.

Cloud City produces Tibanna gas, an important military resource. It makes sense that Vader would take a slightly softer approach. And since when do we see him strangling civilians?

Why would Vader care about Cloud City? I highly doubt it's the only source of Tibanna gas. If it was it wouldn't be owned by a civilian. The Empire would've taken it over and ran it themselves. Lando specifically says their not under the Empire's control.

And Fett obviously knows that Vader, for whatever reasons, will let him get away with it. I choose respect based on his achievements. What's your choice? Darth Vader's repressed parental indulgence?

I always figured killing bounty hunters was beneath Vader. He is mighty arrogant after all. Fett ranted and Vader just threw some more money at him and Fett shut up. Baby gets his bottle.

I said:
    I'll cede the point Boba Fett is a good tracker. Half of being a good tracker is finding your prey.
    Your reply:
    So in other words you're saying that he is not a good tracker?

Um, what version of English are you using?

I just gave you a concise list of reasons. You might do well to go over it again.

A list that is not supported by any facts from the movies.

Care to have it pointed out a few more times?

Gee, more randome unpleasantness, but I forgot you don't bring that into discussions. Riiight.

That's all. Based on evidence from the movies, Boba Fett is nothing more than an average badguy. Neat to look at, but that's about it. That's what I think. I respect the fact people disagree with me. I don't respect all of the people, but I respect the fact of disagreement.

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    No, actually, that was a concise analysis of Aayla's purpose in the films.

Easy enough. We see his whipcord and rocketpack demonstrated in RotJ, and he's quite obviously going to blast Luke with whatever weapon is attached to his left gauntlet. We know that that's a missile attached to the top of his pack because Jango demonstrates as much, and we also know that he has a flamethrower, because even though you insist that because only Jango is depicted using such a weapon, and that therefore Boba Fett could not have one as well, their weapon gauntlets are exactly the same. As for the dart launchers in his kneepads, anyone who bothers to take a close look at his armour can see the little gun-like projectors there.

And there you go, breaking you're own rule and assuming something that is never verified by any line or on-screen action.

That emotional outpouring will be unnecessary. I merely pointed out that if no Wookie is ever killed on-screen by anything, then by your logic we must assume that they are by extension invincible, and subject only to headaches from high-pitched noises.

And killing things, but, of course, he didn't need him to kill anyone this time.

You're forgetting, "our operation is small enough not to noticed by the Empire".

If he's capable of summarily killing unarmed prisoners, why would he stop at bounty hunters.

Actually, it is in most ways, or else drawn from what can be directly infered from the films themselves, but I think you've proven that facts are only acceptable to you when they support your (and I will indulge and say "apparent") dislike of the character.

Are you aware that you're doing as much right now?

The interesting thing here is that while I noted that "smart people" ought to be able to hold a discussion without it devolving into snide remarks and sarcasm, I never actually referred to myself as onesuch "smart person". You simply assumed that.

17. jedismurf196666

jedismurf196666 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    Boba Fett was one of the most feared bounty humters im the galaxy how can he not be great. The reason he was not more in the movies was he was only needed for certain parts like helping Jabba transfor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.