main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett: Weenie

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by RocketGirl, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Am I really the only one who think Boba Fett is actually not as uber as everyone else thinks?

EU aside--and I really don't like the EU, especially anything by Dark Horse or KJA, though timothy Zahn's first trilogy was excellent--what do we see Boba Fett do? Honestly?

We see him hide in a garbage bin. We see him follow Han Solo to Bespin where he then calls in a whole Star Destroyer-worth of Stormies to make the capture for him. We see him hang out at Jabba's place. We see him throw a rope around Luke. We see him get killed when a blind Han Solo makes him do a header into the Sarlacc Pit.

But because he wears nifty-looking armor and has that I've-been-gargling-rock-salt gravelly voice that makes most males feel somehow inadequate, somehow this gives off the impression that he's pretty bad ass...and, honestly, the canon evidence just doesn't back that conclusion up, IMHO.

I'm just sayin'...I don't get this obsession with Boba Fett, a character whose name isn't even said in the films until the second movie he appears in.

2. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i didnt even know his name was Boba Fett until AotC came out [face_blush] .. i just knew him as the random bounty hunter dude... but i do think he's a cool character and can understand why people are so intrigued by him especially after seeing AotC

3. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, I hate EU as well, but I do accept the fact that Bobba is pretty bad ass... There is some slight evidence that he is well know, when Chewie tells Han. When Han is screaming out his name, he sounds pretty worried... As if Bobba was a match. The rest has to come from AotC (BTW I wasn't a Fett Fan until after clones.) Where we see how great his father was...

Other than that, you're right. theres not much that says so... But there are fans none the less yes?

4. KolKotha

KolKotha Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001
    I like him up until his death. Reasons?
    -His character exudes quiet menace and capability.

-Also he stood up to Vader without fear. No one had the gall to do this before so you've got to admire his guts there and wonder why Vader respects him so much.

-The way in ESB when he doubles back and traps Luke demonstrates his cunning.
    -He is neither Empire nor rebel, but a lone wolf making his own way in the universe. Unique in the OT.

But again,pity he died like a punk.

5. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Fett's demise is certainly a sore spot for many of his fans. Couple that with the fact that he screamed like a biznitch on his way out doesn't increase his value either. You'd think Boba would've learned from his father's fight with Obi-Wan that the jetpack does more harm than good. You can't even see what you're aiming the missle at..head down and hope for the best.

6. Master_Sidious

Master_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2003
    I agree 100% with the original post.

I bet the only reason GL put Han's line in ROTJ ("Boba Fett? Boba Fett?") is so the fans would be happy that his name was mentioned in the movie.

Suitable death for a overrated character.

7. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Heh...Han's delivery on that line always struck me as more of a "Huh? What was that? Did you say...?" than any kind of panic. Especially when coupled with the rather calm, slightly perplexed, are-you-sure quality of the "Where?" when he turns and actives the unnecessarily silly Boba-killing device strapped to the guy's back... :D

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Such an original thread topic. Please lock this and post in the millions of other
    "Fett Sucks" threads.

It is still mind boggling that you have to justify why you like something to another person.

NEWS BULLETIN
    Some people like things that others don't.

Its called

personal preferance

Why do you like Pepsi? Why do you like Coke? Why do you put mustard on your hot dog? Why do you brush your teeth with Crest and not Colgate?

9. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Why do you like Pepsi? Why do you like Coke? Why do you put mustard on your hot dog? Why do you brush your teeth with Crest and not Colgate?

I put Pepsi on my hot dog and brush my teeth with mustard.

Anyway... yyyyeah, while I always thought Fett had a cool costume, and I think we deserved to hear his frickin' name in ESB (and more clearly in ROTJ), I never thought he was the coolest thing under the suns. Heck, even Jango's cooler.

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    What people fail to realize is that it's not like he fought Han and lost to a blind man, Han stood behind him and killed him on accident. The next person that uses that reason as a way to "prove" than Fett is a bad character, put the facts together, because believe me, had a blind Han fought Fett, Solo would be the one in the Sarlacc.

11. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Even Jango would have been able to pull out of his headlong boost into Jabba's sailbarge. Boba didn't have the presence of mind to try to do more than grunt and scream.

For that matter, Jango wasn't even that uber himself. Obi-wan gave him a run for his money and Mace just lopped his noggin off. I think the entire Fett family is a trifle overrated.

Which, actually, makes perfect sense, IMHO. I mean, think about it...it's obvious that the clone troopers are proto-Stormies, yes? And Stormies can't hit the broad side of a barn door that has been painted neon orange with radar-attractive paint! And the clone troopers are all clones of Jango "Mace Windu is my daddy" Fett. (I rather enjoy calling the fetus clones "Baby Fetts")

So, you know...it's all clever and junk. George Lucas has given us a reason why Stormtroopers are such lousy shots, why a Death Star's worth of 'em couldn't hunt down four humans, two droids, and a Wookiee...

12. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    So, you know...it's all clever and junk. George Lucas has given us a reason why Stormtroopers are such lousy shots, why a Death Star's worth of 'em couldn't hunt down four humans, two droids, and a Wookiee...

Yeah, its called PLOT DEVICE

If I may ask...rocket....girl...who is your favorite character from SW?

13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "...a character whose name isn't even said in the films until the second movie he appears in."

Actually, in the first movie he appears in -AOTC- they say his name.

;) :p

14. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I'd say, give the Fett's a break. They are, after all just trying to get by in the universe. There not superheros, there bounty hunters. What non-force user could put up a fight with Obi? Sure he got embarassed by Windu but he's like second to yoda right? maybe...

But the point is, they do a good job and I don't care how Boba dies. Wierd stuff happens in the heat of battle and I like that factor. If you're not happy with Boba then whos you're favorite bounty hunter?

The tinman? coffee pot that might tip over?

[image=http://www.partsofsw.com/images/ig88.jpg]

15. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    who is your favorite character from SW?

Um...not sure. Oh, I can narrow it down to a two-way tie between Han Solo and Wedge Antilles, but I'm not sure which to pick.

I love Han's irreverent attitude and sense of humor--not to mention that Harrison Ford is quite attractive--and the way his character develops from a selfish rogue to a rogueish hero over the course of three movies has some appeal to it.

But Wedge is a hotshot fighter pilot and I'm a bit of a fighter pilot groupie. Plus, his growth from green rookie to veteran to leader of Rogue Squadron over the course of three movies is quite well done, IMHO.

As for my favorite bounty hunter, I honestly don't like how any of the bounty hunters are portrayed in the Star Wars universe. Why, they're practically criminals themselves, as bad as the people they bring in for bounties! A bounty hunter, IMHO, should be more good guy than bad guy, bringing in wanted criminals, bail-jumpers, and those on the wrong side of the law, not the people that crime bosses like Jabba or Vader put prices on!

16. KolKotha

KolKotha Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001
    It boggles me why Fett didn't shoot his missile at the skiff killing all the rebels in one blow.
    But there you go.

17. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Good ? KK. Perhaps it's because you have to look down to fire it and if the target is more than 18 inches away, the probability of success diminishes exponentially. For that matter, why didn't the knob manning the turbo laser on top of the skiff take 'em out? Jabba should have had better skilled folks on the payroll. You get what you pay for...

18. Pepijn

Pepijn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I liked Boba Fett in TESB, and i think he had one or two or more drinks to much in the other film, which explains why he was so extremely easily killed compared to his dad.

19. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "...which explains why he was so extremely easily killed compared to his dad."

\\watches Mace vs. Jango fight again\\

It sure looks like Jango was "emtremely easily killed" by a Jedi as well.
    He almost got run over by a non-sentient mad cow, and then manages to get a whole three shots off before dying.

20. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002
    Well what do you guys expect? Do you want the Fett's to be super heros? Well they aren't, non-sentient beings can run them over, their not perfect. Find another non-force user who makes it out in one piece after a fight with Obi?

I think you guys expect to much. The reason why I like the Fett's so much is that they aren't super bad ass mega killers. They're regular guys, and they do a damn good job.

If Boba Fett is a weenie, then every single bounty hunter in the entire galaxy is the equivalent to a drooling baby.

How can you say Jango is inadequate when he is killed by one of the greatest force users in the galaxy? I think its a little unfair.

Ask Coleman Trebor if Jango is a weenie. He seemed to make short work of Mr. Dinohead.

If Jango is a weenie because he got ran over by that non-sentient, does that mean the Jedi are weenies because they get shot by droids? Wimpy battle droids!?!?! Come on people.

[Emporers sarcasm] Oh and I'm afraid poor Luke could not save Han because he was scared off by the weenie Fett. [/Emporers sarcasm]

See, I admit it, The Fett's aren't super bad ass mega killers, but they're alot better than the rest of them!!!

21. Devilanse

May 11, 2002
    Yes, yes...I agree. Then let this thread be locked before another flame-fest starts. Not to mention this thread is mondo-redundant.

22. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002
    There is no need for flame, there is a need for facts. Why is Boba Fett such a weenie? Compared to what?

Sure he might be a weenie compared to the Emporer, but at least Boba didn't get thrown like a rag doll to his death.

You see, you really can't judge a starwars character by their death. Is Obi-Wan a wimp because he let Vader strike him down? I don't think so. It depends on you're point of view I guess.

A weenie in my view would be Panaka or C3PO.

I'd like to hear some arguments here.

also, this thread isn't redundant until a mod says so! yay.

23. RocketGirl

Jun 2, 2002
    Well, let's put it this way: what has Boba Fett done to deserve the level of fame he's achieved?

I mean, a lot of people have put him on a pedestal, but the canon facts don't support such an elevation.

If anything, the on-screen evidence paints Boba Fett as a reckless incompetent. Some of you probably take the line "NO DISINTEGRATIONS!" to mean that Boba's, you know, a demonlition man bad-ass and not a loose cannon. We don't see him kill anyone on-screen, we barely even see him fight anyone. He gets his blaster chopped in half by Luke the instant he lands on the skiff, then he lassos Luke right before being dumped to his doom. He goes out with even more of a whimper than his dad, who at least survived his first fight with a Jedi.

Based purely on canon evidence, Boba Fett's fame is completely undeserved. That much, at least, is irrefutable. Heck, Batman is better with his gadget-laden utility belt than Boba Fett is...and he doesn't even get a jetpack!

24. lorn_zahl

Oct 19, 2002
    Well, let's put it this way: what has Boba Fett done to deserve the level of fame he's achieved?

I mean, a lot of people have put him on a pedestal, but the canon facts don't support such an elevation.

I think it really comes down the the eye of the beholder. I for one, am not a big Fett fan. But I will argue that he is the coolest bounty hunter, if not the 2nd coolest bounty hunter onscreen. Why? Because we actually see him in action.

If anything, the on-screen evidence paints Boba Fett as a reckless incompetent. Some of you probably take the line "NO DISINTEGRATIONS!" to mean that Boba's, you know, a demonlition man bad-ass and not a loose cannon. We don't see him kill anyone on-screen, we barely even see him fight anyone. He gets his blaster chopped in half by Luke the instant he lands on the skiff, then he lassos Luke right before being dumped to his doom. He goes out with even more of a whimper than his dad, who at least survived his first fight with a Jedi.

Well wait, If Vader singled him out and said "No Disintegrations" don't ya think he was a bit worried about Boba incinerating some one? Come on. Also, alot of things go on offscreen thats referenced onscreen. So when Darth Vader warns Boba Fett, he has a good reason too. Also, Boba was Jango's clone, not his son! Big difference.

Also, for me, I don't have to see a bad guy kill any body to know he's a cool character. Again its in the eye of the beholder. I think Boba's cool cuz he was the only bounty hunter to outsmart Han and company. He shoots at Luke and he had him tied up pretty good on that skiff.
    In comes his deathscene, and I, for one, think its brilliant. Starwars is different and I love different death scenes.

....cept for Maul's.

Based purely on canon evidence, Boba Fett's fame is completely undeserved. That much, at least, is irrefutable. Heck, Batman is better with his gadget-laden utility belt than Boba Fett is...and he doesn't even get a jetpack!

Basicaly what you're saying is that Boba isn't cool because he isn't shown killing someone on screen? I think his fame is deserved because he and his clone play important roles in the entire saga.

and Batman doesn't even have a gun!

and he wears tights..... :)

Plus he's a Superhero, and if you try to categorize the Fett's as superheros, then yes, they are weenie superheros. But great bounty hunters.

Trying to make their way.....

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Wow, that was a lot of duplicate posts, lorn. :p

I don't think the topic repeats anything that's been done recently, so I don't mind keeping it open. However, I realize the thread has the potential to get heated, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.