main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Boba Fett's armor color change

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by darthgoat, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I've never understood this and I built a Fett costume. In ESB his armor is one color scheme and then in Jedi its a completely different one! What happened between the two that caused this!?!?

2. lordstarscream

lordstarscream Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    well, probably the color changes were different because of continuity factors.. also fett always modified his armor new weapons etc

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    Interesting question....and I am reasonably certain that if you don't have the answer Goat...there is no answer to be found other than...
    OOOOOOPPPPSSSS....on the part of the folks in continuity...

4. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    yeah, I think I would say his own modifications in his armor--that would be my guess. If I find out anything on this, I'll post it...

5. Incom4

Incom4 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    In ESB his armor is one color scheme and then in Jedi its a completely different one! What happened between the two that caused this!?!?
    The ROTJ Fett color scheme is how he envisioned the character but did not have the money on ESB to buy all the differant colors. So in ROTJ he was given enough money to paint the Fett armor the way he wanted.

It was the first on many changes Uncle George would make :D

6. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Geezus, that musta been some hella expensive paint.

Bosh
    "Why talk when you can paint?" -Milton Avery

7. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    Cool--that answered that--okay, now which color scheme do you guys like better? I lean a little more toward the ROTJ--red and green are complementary colors--looks good and adds a little more to the entire outfit besides just green/gray (and the touches of yellow)

8. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Actually the paint is roughly $3 per bottle and can be bought from testors.com. There are approximately 20 colors that make up the ROTJ suit.

You might think I am kidding but for once I am actually serious. My armor is painted with these colors which someone on TDH discovered in talks with the actual prop makers. 100% accurate? Maybe not 100% but it is as close as you are likely to come.

9. BoshTalk

BoshTalk Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2004
    Makes sense, I mean even by 1979 standards that much paint would have cost about $40.00. So I can see the dilemma at the budget meeting.

Kurtz: "Well George, we can paint that bounty hunter costume the way you proposed, or we can have nachos at the Elstree wrap party. Your choice."

Lucas: "Hmmmm...Well. I do really like nachos."

Bosh

10. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    I can see that many colors used. Layering, getting the weathered look, all the little details, especially when the jetpack is factored in--that itself was a color change as well. I would like to try my hand at a costume myself. Do you have any pictures DarthGoat? I'd like to see them...

There was a change in the gloves too wasn't there? Not just color--do I remember seeing a circle on the backs of one version?

Yeah, even about $60.00 by today's standards is a little steep for costume painting... ;) But, I guess compared to just flat out buying a full ready-made costume it's still a lot cheaper. *And, isn't more fun to do-it-yourself?*

11. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    That all depends on the standard that you set and your level of commitment to the costume. My suit has gone through many variations over the years as new stuff was discovered. I've obviously set a very high standard for myself over the course of this project which started way back in September of 2001.

This is the version completed in 2002.

This is my suit as it stands now.
    That is Doright from Minnesota Force in the pilot costume.

There is a dramatic difference in the two suits. Numerous hard parts were upgraded including screen accurate gauntlets, knees, and helmet. That goes a long way towards making a great suit but it is worthless without a good paint job.

The entire suit is painted with the exact paints that the original ROTJ suit was painted with. I'd say after it was all said and done the paints probably cost around $100 total to complete the process.

The helmet alone took approximately 20 hours of painting and is easily the most detailed and difficult part of the suit to replicate. I documented the whole ordeal and you can check it out if you want. Part way through I had a horrible paint reaction and had to strip everything off and start over.

12. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    was it difficult to transform the helment into an above-ground backyard pool?

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Surprisingly no. I did it with CGI.

14. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    All I can say is WOW---*and, now I get the pool joke*;) Excellent costuming!

As an art-person, I understand the level of commitment it takes to complete a project like that. The helmet turned out great=D= and I agree that it its the most important part--if the helmet doesn't turn out right, it can throw off the rest of the outfit.

Were you at C3 on that Saturday? If you were, I know I might have seen you--I turned my head and tried to get a pic every time I saw a Fett...the pilot standing next to you--that's a good costume too!

15. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    I was at C3 on Saturday but wasn't suited up very long. It was too crowded and the "crowd control" volunteers were just too rude.

16. lordstarscream

lordstarscream Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    i think the boba fett armor from the empire strikes back looks better that armor has my vote for coolness

17. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Well, I guess that ends the debate. No more needs to be said.

I'll be in my bunk.

18. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    i'll be in thom's bunk.

19. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I'll be in Thom's bunk too!!!

Bosh
    "By "bunk" of course I mean..."

20. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    And I will be in the bunk of some 20 year old blonde chick who has never seen a trouser snake....ok...I'll be in my bunk....stupid dreams...

Frieden (German)

21. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake Waldo snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake trouser snake

Bosh
    "Mushroom! Mushroom!"

22. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    Hey Bosh!! I found Waldo!!!!:p

he hee--any room in that bunk for me fellas???[face_laugh] :p

I found a listing somewhere of the exact names of the colors of paint to use on Fett armor...I have it bookmarked on a website somewhere--trouble is I have way to many bookmarks!

23. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    No bunk for you!

24. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    My bunk is empty...come to think of it, its always empty...BLAST!

-pieces

25. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    thom's bunk is actually getting kinda crowded. and it smells a little.

you can have my spot fett.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.