main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett's voice: Jason Wingreen vs. Temuera Morrison

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Timstuff, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm sure most people here are familiar with the change that happened to Boba Fett's dialogue in The Empire Strikes Back DVD. On the disc, George Lucas, in an attempt to increase consistancy between the prequels and classic trilogy, dubbed over Jason Wingreen's voice overs with a new reading performed by Temuera Morrison, who played Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones. Now, on paper this may seem logical-- after all, Boba is Jango's clone, so why wouldn't they sound exactly the same?

However, there's one major problem I had with Boba Fett's new voiceover (along with a few smaller ones, but I'll get to those later). Morrison's voice overs are completely flat, and have none of the edge that made Boba's old voice cool. It's obvious that Morrison was phoning in the performance, and Lucas was more interested in wether or not the voice sounded like Jango than if the performance did the character justice. You can see a few examples below. Just click the actor's name, and you'll hear a sound byte of their version of Boba's dialogue.

"As you wish."

Wingreen Morrison

"He's no good to me dead."

Wingreen Morrison

"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."

Wingreen Morrison

"Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold."

Wingreen Morrison

As I said before, I find Morrison's version to be very flat and vacant. Wingreen's version of Fett actually sounds like a grizzled butt kicker who has been cruising the galaxy for 20+ years. Morrison's version reminds me more of Steve Irwin on Ritalin.

That brings me to another, smaller reason why I dislike Boba's new voice: the accent doesn't seem like it's in his character. I thought that it was fine for Jango to have a kiwi accent, because it helped distinguish him from his son. He was the first-generation Fett bounty hunter, hailing from a culture that Boba would only experience second hand. Jango had the New Zealand accent, and Boba had the American accent.

However, Boba got seperated from his father at the tender age of 10, so whatever influence his father would have had over his speech patterns would have probably started disappearing as he got older. When children learn new languages or move to an area with a different accent, they tend to transition into the local dialect much more seamlessly than an adult, because the language center in the brain is still developing. Without going into too much detail, it's not until the later teenage years that kids pick up what would be considered a "permanent accent." Boba Fett lost his father at a young age, so he would have picked up his accent from the people around him, and unless those people all had "Mandalorian" accents, he would have ended up sounding different from his father.

And lastly-- accents aside, did Wingreen really sound all that different from Morrison to the point where we couldn't believe that Boba Fett was Jango's clone? Sure, he sounded a bit more gruff, but I had always considered that to be more of an attitude attribute than a biological one. I always saw Boba Fett as a rather cranky fellow, so it made sense for him to have a low, growly voice. Boba might be Jango's clone, but he's not the same person, and that is one of the biggest reasons why I do not really like the idea of them sharing the exact same voice-- although the fact that Morrison gave such wooden delivery

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The only line Morrison got to sound good was "Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold."

At least, IMO.

3. Kazanova

Kazanova Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2008
    Honestly? I don't give a flying wampa's ass. It's just one of those alterations that goes under the radar.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's the only one that sticks out for me, actually. All the others I don't care about or feel are improvements.

5. Kazanova

Jun 28, 2008
    Boba Fett was always a joke of a character to me. He can talk and look the walk, but he can't walk the walk. He did nothing "cool" in the entire saga but stand there with his battle-worn armor, that, given the fluke that was his demise, I theorize were scratches put on by himself for cosmetic purposes.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    LOL.

Eh, he did better fighting Luke than his dad did fighting Mace. :p

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    as I said in the other thread where you made that outrageous claim, no, he did not.

and the best one is Jeremy Bulloch saying "Put Captain Cargo in the Solo hold"

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yes he did.

-Luke: Cabled. Couldn't do very much until the morons back on the barge decided it was a good idea to shoot at the skiff.

Boba: Continued firing on Luke-who didn't so much as notice when a blaster bolt flew right by his head-after he got back up.

-Mace: Lost his lightsabre for 1/100th of a second, watched Jango get trampled, beheaded Jango.

Jango: Lit Mace's cape on fire. The End. :p

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    He DID out-think the entire Imperial fleet and manage to track Han Solo to Cloud City...

But I agree with what you're saying. Boba Fett never needed to be expanded beyond what we see in the OT. It's fine that the EU brought him back and (unlike Lucas) gave him a decent back-story. But it really gets me when Lucas talks about TCW and says "I wish I would've had more time to show the Clone Wars in the regular movies", considering how much screen time in those movies he wasted on things like the Gungans and Jango/Boba.

10. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Boba Fett missed a tied-up Jedi rookie from 2 meters away, was the only one to fall over from a little wavering, right before getting knocked into a stationary creature by a blind man

Jango Fett scorched a Jedi Master, forcing him to retreat into an arena filled with battle droids, took out another Jedi Master in his spare time, joined the former in the middle of a battle, got trampled by a reek (that had just kept another Jedi busy for quite a while) he promtply took out with one shot and only lost his head because of malfunctioning equipment (due to said reek attack). All this the day after knocking another of the most accomplished Jedi all over a Kaminoan landing platform.

At least Boba now sounds like a dangerous man. It took a handful of fan-servicing EU-authors to make him look like one.

11. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    For a New Zealander hearing Tem doing the voice is just hilarious, he just sounds like some hori Maori down at the pub [face_talk_hand]

12. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Boba Fett doesn't have to anything cool to be cool. He just IS Cool.

Wait for the TV show and he will show those skeptics of what he really can do.

I find the voice change a welcome as far a connection to the PT. I mean why would he sound different, he is a clone of Jango Fett.

13. TEVILDO

TEVILDO Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2008

I definitely agree with the three statements.

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Boba never shot at Luke while Luke was cabled. He was too busy enjoying the befuddled look on Luke's face at the time.

And last I checked, it was 30 or so super-battle droids that forced Mace to get his sabre off Jango's throat. If that'd never happened, Jango would've been standing there like a tool for the rest of the battle.

As for his Kenobi battle...well...if you really want to think he was at all winning, go right ahead. I guess all his rocket-firing, blasters-blazing nonsense actually had an effect. Hell, he didn't even manage an effective escape, as Kenobi tracked him, let alone pose a serious threat to Obi-Wan's life.

15. Darthmcm

Darthmcm Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I could go either way... its just one of those changes that were not needed but done anyway....

Both did the job just fine.

16. Kazanova

Jun 28, 2008
    I'm one of those that doesn't have incredibly low standards, though. A character has to earn "cool" through action in my book.

17. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm sorry, I forgot that he got his gun sabered off as soon as he landed. My bad for thinking he had been competent for at least a second.
    And to correct another mistake, he didn't fall down because some idiot shot at the skiff, he fell down because a henchman smarter than Fett actually managed to shoot at Luke - I misremembered this deflected shot that caused Bobby to fall over like a toddler to be one of Bobby's. Either way, a tied-up Jedi rookie bested Bobby 2 meters away. It's just even worse than I remembered.
    Ah, there it is. He missed two shots from about 10 meters away instead. Shots he took very careful aim for! After lying around dazed and confused for several seconds. Cheap shots at that, because the Jedi was severely distracted. Which is all very overzealous as he'd rather go after the Jedi, who clearly outmatches him, than deal with a blind Han Solo, who is shouting his name, or the completely helpless Lando dangling below.
    Pff. Amateur.

Great tactic, especially for a man who never displays emotion =D=

Oh, so not directly taking on a Jedi Master, who made sure to restrain the scary Bounter Hunter instead of one of the most powerful Jedi, is the height of incompetence now? Jango would indeed be a tool if he suspected Mace Windu to actually stand around with his lightsaber around his neck for the entire duration of the battle like a ... an even bigger tool!
    Unlike his malfunctioning clone, Jango obviously knew when and how to pick his battles.

Yes, on my version of the movie Obi-Wan only spends a minority of the time on his feet. Discounting, of course, the off-screen time it took him to get back up to the landing platform, after ... you know... being thrown (okay, more like dropped) off the side of the equivalent of a skyscraper.
    He may not have posed a serious threat to Obi-Wan's life, but he put up a fight unmatched by any non-Force-user. That's a hell of a feat against Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Yes, I'm sure Dooku was terribly disappointed that he led the Republic to Geonosis. Oh wait, the Sith were practically giggling with glee over the start of the war.
    Wow. I never realized this before. Jango Fett started a galaxy-spanning war. Thanks for the insight! What did Bobby do for the Galactic Civil War? Ah, right. Be one out of 6 hired guns, one of which is a bloody droid. Jango, on the other hand, was hand-picked to be the source for the best clone army ever created (which was made to fight bloody droids).

Though, to be fair, I'm glad Bobby thought of the garbage trick. Imagine what the EU and the Prequels would have been like had Bossk found Han [face_worried]

18. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Im glad they made boba's voice sound like...well what hes supposed to sound like. I really hope they do the same to all the stormtroopers to. I think its necessary becouse you cant just make a whole movie (AOTC) about how the stormtroopers came to be and then just cop out by saying the old clones died off and now you have imperial academy's for people to "learn how to becouse a stormtrooper" (:rolleyes:[face_talk_hand]) all becouse if you were to change the voice's of the TO stormtroopers people would be outrageously mad for some reason and say lucas raped there childhood becouse he tried to have something make sense from movie to movie. And it doesn't really make sense for them to not be the clones anyway becouse of the part where one of the troopers bumps his head just like jango, its little moments like this that remind you that they are still the clones and makes it fun to watch the whole saga 1-6 but it will always make no sense if they dont have the voice. The funnest part is that all the stormtroopers voice's ALREADY SOUND THE SAME and always have so if they do change it the only difference is that it would be the voice that its supposed to be.

as for what the original poster sed about the voice being better if it didnt have the new zealand accent thats fine and if they wanted to change it a little bit for the next blu-ray release or what ever i would be fine with that -just as long as its Temuera Morrisons voice.

19. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

LOL. After years of having predominantly American and a few Brit accents in SW, it is strange hearing your own accent coming out of Boba Fett.

Despite kiwi bias, I have to say that I prefer the old voice. It does have more of a hard edge to it, befitting the character IMO.

20. Timstuff

Sep 7, 2008
    Stormtroopers are mostly recruits, not clones. Get your facts straight.

21. Timstuff

Sep 7, 2008
    I already explained why Boba Fett and Jango should not sound the same. Boba Fett was orphaned when he was only 10 years old, so he had not developed a permanent accent yet. The way children speak is determined by the people around them, so unless Boba Fett managed to find a bunch of Mandalorians (or other such people with New Zealand-like accents) and hang around them, it's unlikely that he would grow up sounding exactly the same as Boba Fett. He was probably often around a bunch of tough thugs and ruffians as he ascended as a bounty hunter, so he would have wound up talking like them, because that's what kids do-- they immitate the speech of the people around them.

If he had been a teenager when Jango died, then yeah, I could imagine them having the same accent because that is typically when people develop a permanent accent. He was only 10 though, so the kiwi accent would not permanent, for the same reason why the children of immigrants from non-English speaking countries typically end up speaking English without a noticeable accent, even though English was not their first language.

22. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I close my eyes and all I hear is Jake the Muss [image=http://bloggbilder.aftonbladet.se/images/15698/img_46cb01f5a7f0b.jpg]

23. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007

Its accepted that there recruits becouse thats what years of EU books sed they were, not what George Lucas says they are and for some reason fans always think that there is more merit to the various random authors of EU books than George Lucas himself. Well the movies come first and to a certain extent George Lucas shouldn't have to make the actual movies hold up to what was written in the EU, it should be the other way around.

The whole idea is that they are the cold,faceless,infinite,army of the empire and the reason why they never wear camouflage is the same reason why they all have the same helmet and face under that helmet -becouse they are infinite and mass produced, they are cloned humans without feeling of compassion or emotions like pity and fear and no matter how many you wipe out they can be cloned again and again. Thats the back story that AOTC set for them and its a lot more menacing and realistic and affective than the idea that they are "stormtrooper schools" that anyone can go to for years and for some reason support the EMPIRE that everyone is suffering from throughout the saga. That idea also makes them seem a lot less disposable and in-human not to mention less-believable becouse there are supposed to be stormtroopers on every empire controlled planet in every solar system in the entire galaxy, its a better explanation for them to be clones that can be efficiently mass produced. Its the story that George Lucas wrote for them and thats the way it should be in the movies, i think that the only reason why he didnt change there voices too is becouse fans would go crazy over it and get even more mad at him -even though they DO all have the same voice! its just not Temuera Morrisons voice. and there IS EVIDENCE that they are clones of jango becouse George Lucas himself says in the commentary on the dvd of ANH that when the stormtrooper bumps his head on the door a "clunk" noise has been added to really remind the viewer that they are still clones of jango becouse its a trait that jango useto have becouse he could not see out of his helmet and was implied to be bumping his head every now and then and that got cloned into all the stormtroopers. It was purposefully done to make for a better viewing experience for people that watch the movies in the correct order of 1-6 and it works great IMO. It would work even better if some fans would deprogram themselves from saying lucas is the bad guy while putting the EU on a pedestal so the sto

24. Timstuff

Sep 7, 2008
    Stormies are not all the same height. Lucas has not said that Stormies are clones. Until he goes in and replaces every Stormy shot with CG Stormies that are all the same height and gives them all Morrison's voice, I hold to it that stormies =/= clonies. There is probably still some cloning happening to maintain the military's size, but the empire would probably have started using multiple DNA sources instead of just Jango's for a variety of reasons.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

"You're not in Guatemala now, Dr Fett..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.