main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boba Fett's voice: Jason Wingreen vs. Temuera Morrison

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Timstuff, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
  2. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I prefer the Jason Wingreen voice but what can you do? I suppose watch the OV.

3. Timstuff

Timstuff Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2008
    True, but the laserdisc rips make it look so ugly... :(

4. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    The only line from Morrison that bothers me is the "He's worth a lot to me" bit. I loved Jango and Morrison's part in AOTC ("Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi"), and I never was a big Boba fan, but I don't like the change because it's completely unnecessary and pretty poorly done. Overall it's not a big deal to me, just something that makes me think "What's the point?". The armor is enough to tie the characters together.

5. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    Frankly I think that along with Jedi Rocks that redubbing Boba's voice was the worst decision Lucas ever made in his constant need to "improve" the OT. Morrison was fine as Jango but his reading of Boba's lines in ESB is a travesty. It's so embarassing to listen to that I literally find it difficult not to just fast forward through them on the DVD and imagine the original version when I watch the DVD. And if the idea that all the Clones should sould like Jango was so important why weren't the Stormtroopers in the OT redubbed by Morrison too? I shudder to think of him revoicing the classic Stormtrooper lines in ANH :(

6. Timstuff

Sep 7, 2008
    I rank Lucas's re-editing sins as follows:

5. The Gungan shouting "Wesa free!" at the end of ROTJ
    4. Jedi Rocks scene in ROTJ
    3. Dubbing over Boba Fett with Temuera Morrison in ESB
    2. Making Greedo shoot first and miss from point blank in ANH
    1. Replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Chistensen as Anakin's jedi spirit in ROTJ

However, there are two notable changes that I think were actually very wise on Lucas's part. The inclusion of the deleted Biggs and Luke reunion in ANH was something that many fans (myself included) had been pining to see for years, and also the new ending music in ROTJ actually gave the scene some emotional grip for me (the Yub Yub song completely killed the moment for me), and the new interplanetary celebration footage gave the ending a much more epic sense of scope.

The good news in regards to all this though, is that Adywan's ESB Revisit DVD should be coming out next year, and he's already announced that Boba Fett's voice has been changed back. He's stated that he's planning to do the remaining four movies too, with ROTJ being next. So in a matter of time, we'll hopefully be watching a top notch ROTJ DVD with no Jedi Rocks, no "Wesa Free!" and good old Sebastian Shaw once again smiling at us in his blue Jedi spirit form.

7. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    The only Morrison line I don't like is the 'He's worth a lot to me'. That does sound rather flat. Wingreen's version of that line sounds more gruff, invested, as in 'Yes, there is a difference in pay between dead or alive'.

But I can't fault Lucas for trying to match up all the movies in these ways.

8. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    I can't fault Lucas' intentions either but surely even he must have realised that some areas of the films just worked the way they were.

9. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    hmm doesnt matter what the tv show does if it's about Boba, the character still goes out like a punk.
    no no NO! the 'imperial academies' and the conscriptions, are the ONLY reason i will accept for the badass, jedi killing clonetroopers turning into the incompetent at risk of ewoks stormtroopers.
    -doodie

10. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Boba's voice change was worse than the Han shooting Greedo change.

11. Timstuff

Sep 7, 2008
    Well, I suppose that that would depend on who you like more: Han Solo, or Boba Fett. Both changes were quite damaging to each character, so which change was more damaging overall would depend on which character holds more importance to you.

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  13. Kazanova

Kazanova Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2008
    Greedo shooting first: Changes Han from a rather ruthless pirate to a man with morals, thus detracting from the significant character development he underwent during the course of the OOT trilogy.

Morrison's Boba Fett voice-over: I don't know.

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I liked the ruthless/badass smuggler who shot first. He still was a good man deep down though, it just took some time for it to appear.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Kazanova

Kazanova Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2008
    Indeed.

16. Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    On the subject of Greedo shooting first - while, like many, I preferred the version where he didn't shoot, I've never really agreed that it changes Han's character. Think about it: in both versions it's clear (from the dialogue) that Greedo is about to shoot Han; in both versions it's equally clear (from the shots of him drawing his blaster) that Han is about to shoot Greedo. Which one happened to get off the shot first was a matter of skill and chance, not of their intentions.

Neither version makes Han look like a supremely virtuous guy and neither version makes him look like a cold-blooded killer; both versions make him a pragmatist who's willing to kill someone to save his own skin.

Of course, for the very same reason, the addition of Greedo's shot is completely pointless. Its only real effect is to make Greedo look bad for missing at that range.

To make this post marginally on topic - Morrison's voice in ESB is one of my biggest complaints against the DVDs. I think that he was very good as Jango in AotC, but I really liked Boba Fett's original voice much better.

On the other other hand, at least the rumor that Morrison's voice would replace all the stormtrooper voices turned out to be false.

17. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008
    I don't really give a damn about the change of Fett's voice. Tem Morrison sounds more business-like about everything, as though a man's life is no more significant than getting a good deal on a car, which is a good thing for a character like Fett.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I have to go with the Wingreen versions of all 4 lines. As much as I liked Morrison's portrayal of Jango (and the clones), his voice-over replacement of Boba's lines sounds very uninspired to me. He somehow lost all of the menace of the Wingreen delivery, partially because it's not as rough and raspy, but also because it's monotone and without any real attitude.

As far as why they made this change... I disagree. Just because you're a clone of someone wouldn't necessarily mean your voice would be identical. Other factors could affect your voice, such as the environment you grew up in (which was not in the presence of Jango after age 10) as far as accents go, and even factors like whether you smoke as far as the voice itself goes (not saying Boba smoked, it's just an example). And of course, none of that even addresses why the lines were delivered with less menace or attitude.

19. JasonKrueger13

JasonKrueger13 Jedi Knight

Sep 28, 2008
    I prefer Jason Wingreen, I just watched the Original version and it just sounds much more natural of the character, even if Boba is a clone of Jango. However when Morrison says "Put Captain Colo in the cargo hold" it was the best line he said as Boba, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.