Oceania Bobby Flynn FTW

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by epic, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    And Lisa is out of there!!!!!!
  2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    And everyone celebrates.

Anyway, did anyone else notice, as I did, that the two candidates most likely to receive the "young girls with phones and too much of their parents' money" vote were in the bottom three? No? Ricky and Dean. I love that myth that people cling to.
  3. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    To the best of my knowledge, the American Idol comp has a toll free number for viewers to call meaning that there's no charge to vote, therefore they recieve more votes from people with an opinion. They make their $$ from the advertising that accompanies the show.
    Here, they take 2 bites.. advertising money & a rip-off charge to vote. Therefore, most people who MIGHT watch the show wont vote.
    The voting numbers are a JOKE here.

as for Bobby Flynn.... what planet are you from mate ??
    talent ??? Are you trying for the.. "I'm an individual & an artist" market ??

IMO.. he's **** !!

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I normally hate that market, but it just clicked for me. I'd seen so much Idol that it was a breath of fresh air. But that's behind us now, he ain't there no more!

Yay for Ricky finally leaving. You got your wish, Joel: Lisa and now Ricky. ;)

Now;

Damien, Chris, Jess, Dean.

Ordered.
  5. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    You're goin for a dean win?

My order:
    Chris, Damien, Dean, Jess
  6. Darth Attorney Force Ghost

star 2
    Spoken like an average memeber of the public ;)

The American viewing audience is generally 10 times the size of an Australian viewing audience so advertising revenue there is worth ten times as much. Ergo (stay with me here!) they don't need to charge voting lines because the amount they'd make from them would be tiny in comparison to the advertising figures. Here, call revenue is usually a 3 way split between the production company, network and the phone line provider while only the network receives advertising revenue. So it's in the best interests of the production company to devise alternate revenue streams (besides phone calls and the budget provided by the network) for themselves. This is why you see loads more sponsorship/product placement/cross promotion/merchandising here than in most other countries.

The American comp doesn't receive more calls because the number is free.
    They receive more calls because there's more of them over there.
    And I'd bet hands down the demographic is exactly the same: a vast, vast majority of teenage girls.

If you don't know what you're on about then it's wise not to shoot your mouth off.

Edit: Also, advertising money is totally dependant on ratings. Alternate revenue streams are not. You can clearly see why these companies/networks would prefer a guaranteed source of income over an unstable one, don't you?
  7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Um, no. I ordered it left to right. As in, first to fourth. As in, Damien rules. :p

Even if it is the case, they're not as dumb as some people always make them out to be. Or, it's simply not the case.
  8. Darth Attorney Force Ghost

star 2
    It doesn't matter if they are dumb, as long as they vote.
    Teenage girls as a group are dictators of trends in fashion, music and film.
    Are you uncomfortable with that for some reason? ;)
  9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I said they weren't dumb. :p

Trend shakers and makers don't worry me. I'm only uncomfortable when people throw around Idol that it's all about the teenage girl voters. At the start, it may affect things, but when it comes down to it seriously, no. As clearly, shown by the last two weeks of the current Idol, the two 'young hot guys who teenage girls will make win' have been in the bottom group. ;)
  10. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And I'll put that phenomena down to the block of teenage girl voters assuming the cute young boys will be in the finals and not voting for them. My hot tip is that they're sympathy-voting for Damien.

I can guarantee that if teenage girls en masse stopped voting for Idol, there'd be mass hysteria at Grundy and Ch10 ;)
  11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Idol is all about people assuming that their favourite is already through, and then not voting for them. Haven't you been listening to the judges????

;)

Sympathy-voting for Damien.... Where he needs sympathy from, I do not know. o_O
    As for the hysteria, I think Ch10 is hysterical already. ;)
  12. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    Ricky should have left about three weeks ago.
  13. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    actually, like four or five.
  14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Damien absolutely shined last night.

Who could not think so?

Now to await tonight's verdict in a few minutes....
  15. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I...uh...never watched it. ;) :p

[:D]
  16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    You could still think it, though. [:D]

:p

Well, Chris is gone. Damien still rules. So I am still happy.
  17. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    I want a Damien and Jessica final!
  18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    As do I, with a 100% vote towards Damien, and 0.1% to Jess. :)
  19. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I would prefer it swapped the other way around, but essentially the same :p
  20. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Okay, I'm going to lay down the challenge. Why is Jess better than Damien?
  21. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    Because she is young and attractive and can belt out a decent tune!
  22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    And so, even with her ability, she doesn't quite have the level of showmanship and maturity in performance that Damien has. She also has her whole life ahead of her to improve and perfect her singing. Rushing into it now by winning Idol wouldn't do her any good. Just look at young winners from the past (Casey).

Err, fine. But neither have any problems with their looks, so it doesn't give an edge to one in particular.

Did you hear Damien last week? Hear that voice! He can do it just as good and of course from my view, even better.

Yes, Jess has sung many more young and pop tunes throughout the course of Idol. And sung them pitch perfect; solid. But there's been nothing more, nothing extra. Damien has sung a variety of songs, but it doesn't matter what the tune is, he makes it glorious. He's done a lot more different styles as well.

Ba. :p
  23. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    So Damien continues to shine. [face_dancing]

And Jess did bad enough and Dean well enough last night that it doesn't concern me who makes it through now. ;) We'll see tonight.

For those who didn't see it, Damien sung Nessun Dorma. Brilliantly.
  24. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    I only caught the second half of Damien's first song, but from what I heard it was well worth the 'TOUCHDOWN', however whilest the second song was decent I do not believe it also needed a 'TOUCHDOWN'.

Unfortunately Jess did not shine enough but I do hope Dean goes...
  25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Damien's second song didn't get a touchdown. That was last week. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.