main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Body armour

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by moosemousse, Sep 25, 2011.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I know my question isn't strictly to do with Star Wars but the general topic could be applied to Star Wars as well. I'm hoping someone will be able to help with this. What's the best way to make body armour?

I was playing the new Warhammer 40,000 game, Space Marine, and one of the characters in it is one I'd really like to cosplay somewhen. The only problem is that I have no idea how to do body armour.

Here's a full body shot so you can see an overall view of the armour:

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110622041248/spacemarine/images/a/ac/2nd-lieutenant-mira_0.png]

Here's a close up of her upper half so you can see the details on the chest armour better:

[image=http://images.wikia.com/spacemarine/images/f/f5/Miraprofile.png]

Weight isn't really an issue if it makes it look better, but then I wouldn't want to wear something that weighs more than I do. Any tips on making guns would be good, though I'll probably end up buying a Nerf gun or something and painting that.

2. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    it isn't easy.
    Not for the raw beginner.
    Be prepared to do a lot of re-working.
    Materials are open to a lot of possibilities from Styrene plastic or foam-core to Skulpty or fiberglass.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time and/or $.

As for the gun, try to find a toy of some kind that is close in look. Or skupt it yourself from whatever materials you like best.

Good luck.

3. liambauckham

liambauckham Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    paper mache

4. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Do you know what "pepakura" is? You make a 3D model in a 3D program, then convert it in a program called Pepakura into a paper model. You print the program's output, then you cut, fold and assemble the paper model. The model should then be strengthened: here you can use papiér maché, fibreglass, auto body filler (Bondo) or other material, or a combination of the ones that I have mentioned. Many people who make Halo costumes use this method. There are many resources online -- just google for Pepakura and you will find lots.

Alternatively, you could skip the part where you use any computer programs and start building it from scratch from card and tape. I know of a guy who makes his Clone Trooper armour this way.
    I would go with this method.

If something is very large and bulky then you could consider carving it from styrofoam: the pink or blue variety, not the white kind. The result will be very light, but it is a bit messy to do as you risk getting small pieces of foam everywhere. :)

For emblems, sculpt them in Sculpey (or Fimo, Cernit etc)

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    :eek: I checked out the link expecting it to be 'meh' but it's actually very good! I have no idea I'd make the model to begin with, but it seems very doable that way. Using card without pepekura would probably be quickest.

Thanks for the info. :D

6. AzuraBlaise

AzuraBlaise Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2011
    Wow, that is one cool costume, moosemousse. And thank you so much for pointing me to that Clone Trooper armour thread, that's amazing! I wonder if you could use a similar method for armour that didn't have the 'breast' pieces, like the set Amy Pond wears in the Dr. Who episode 'The Girl Who Waited'? Something to try methinks! :D

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That would probably be easier as it seems to be made from flat sheets rather than blocks. It was a good episode, I look forward to seeing what you make of the costume. :)

8. AzuraBlaise

AzuraBlaise Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2011
    I don't know what the ridged material is on the bottom two plates though, any ideas? it looks kind of like textured lino flooring, or metal. Hmm.

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The white panels seem to be made of all the same white material, which is probably some kind of plastic. I'm guessing it's taken from the hand robots, so pictures of those would help there. I think more and bigger pictures of Amy would help, if only to show up more details and such.

10. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Have a pic for reference?
    Might be easy to build with flat styrene plastic cut to shape.
    As for duplicating the texture, well, I'd have to see it.

11. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Can anyone give their experience with Sintra?

I'd like to rebuild my age-old Boba Fett costume. I understand it's somewhat forgiving.

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I've never worked with it personally, but I've seen people make some awesome stuff with it.