main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Boise Convention in August

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Boskone_Kenobi, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Boise sci fi and horror fans are putting together an amatuer convention August 13,14,15. It is more fantasy and horror than sci fi, let alone Star Wars in particular, but they are nevertheless going to host a costume ball and host a series of competitions. Including a short fan film competition (as well as Dungeons and Dragons Tournament, but that is another matter).

There is no entry fee and one can submit as many films as one wants, including fan-made movie trailers and music videos. Pretty much a creativity free for all.
    I am going to submit 2 short films and a video, and I plan to attend the later two days.

In addition, they plan on hosting a series of panel discussions on everything from how to draw comic book art to anime subtext. They put forth an open invitation for anyone to host a panel, so I volunteered to host a special FX fanfilm panel. Being experienced with these kinds of things, I can say that they will let almost anyone host a panel on virtually anything, so if anyone is feeling brave, go right ahead. And if anyone wants to host it with me, I have free lodging in Boise.

I have been lurking on a popular Boise filmmaker webboard, and they are in a huge zombie fan film phase right now (one of the ringleaders is a former roommate of mine with weirdo tendacies a mile long, he makes zombie ART flicks), so if we submitted Reepo it might make a pleasant change of pace for them.

http://www.fandemonium.org/

Lets show these bozos how we do things downtown.

2. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    If you're coming down let me know...so we can plan some stuff!

3. Borneo

Borneo Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2004
    >> Boise sci fi and horror fans are putting together an amatuer convention August 13,14,15. <<

Acttualy we are Idaho Fans not just Boise, as our members come from all over the state. The convention itself focuses on a rather wide range of Fandom. Such as Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Anime, Horror, Gaming, Indie, Comics, etc. But primarely the focus is Fandom itself.

Fandemonium is a Fandom convention that was created by and is run for fans. Each year of the convention is different from the last. As each year its designed around what the fans are telling us they want. And on what fans like yourself are willing to contribute to it.

As for being an amature convention, well we all got start somewhere. And since companies don't put on conventions in Idaho anymore it looks like its up to the fans to do it if we want a place and time to celebrate our love of Fandom in a big way.

>> It is more fantasy and horror than sci fi, let alone Star Wars in particular, <<

And here I was just thinking we didn't have hardly any Fantasy content <chuckle>.

As for Star Wars, we acttualy have quite a bit. Including a Star Wars FanFilm called "Saving Star Wars" that will be showen during the convention. As well as numerous short Star Wars FanFilms & Animations that will be playing in the video room's and on various terminals during the convention, also hopefully a few Star Wars themed Fan Music Videos will be submitted. We also have a suprise or two that will be announced during the convention.

As for Sci-Fi in general we are running showings of Firefly, FarScape, Quantum Leap, LEXX, Omega Doom, Dark City, etc. As well as Sci-Fi FanFilms & FanShorts. We have a panel on "Increasing human longevity the quest for immortality". So while we are not a Star Wars nor even a strictly Sci-Fi convention we do have a fair bit of both Star Wars & Sci-Fi content.

Though like I said we can only do what the fans want and what they are willing to contribute. We always welcome fans who want to do panels and/or workshops relating to any genre we cover.

>> but they are nevertheless going to host a costume ball and host a series of competitions. Including a short fan film competition <<

Nod we do indeed have quite a few contests; Costume/CosPlay Contest, Maniac Masquerade Costume Ball, FanFilm Contest, Fan Music Video Contest, Short Story Contest, and several PC, Console and Paper & Dice gaming tournaments. And many more...

>> There is no entry fee and one can submit as many films as one wants, including fan-made movie trailers and music videos. Pretty much a creativity free for all. <<

While There are no fee's associated for entering the many contests we are running there is an admission fee to get into the convention itself.

If you Pre-Register on our website or by mail before July 31st 2004
    3-day Pass $30.00 / 2-day Pass $21.00 / 1-day Pass $12.00

At The Door prices
    3-day Pass $35.00 / 2-day Pass $24.00 / 1-day Pass $13.00

Guests of Honor, Special Guests and Those running panels and workshops at the convention get in for free though. Which I would suppose is a definte benifit for chiping in and lending your skills and knowledge to the cause of Fandom.

As for the limit on number of enteries. There is acttualy a three film limit, that three limit also applies to Fan Music Videos & Short Stories. Basicaly to make sure that everyone who is intrested gets a chance to submit there FanFilms, Fan Music Videos & Short Stories and acttualy have them seen at the convention.

>> I am going to submit 2 short films and a video, and I plan to attend the later two days. <<

I look forward to seeing you there. Just remeber the submission deadline is July 31st 2004.

-Borneo / ConChair & Defender of the Fandom

4. MalcolmTolemac

MalcolmTolemac Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Is anyone else from ID Falls going to try and make this besides Doug? Look forward to seeing you there!

5. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    I will be there. I have submitted four films and hope to host a panel of Fanfilm Special FX.

6. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Just to let y'all know, I won't be there, can't make it. And FYI, the 13th is also the date of our August meeting...

Doug

7. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I'd like to go just to hang out, but that's a really full weekend. You've got the meeting, "AVP", and I hope to be shooting by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.