main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Not sure we are on the right thread to discuss KMT / Finn rumors

Ryanpaulstewart and Obiwan10 like this.
  2. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Here's the thing...they've given us rumors about TFA....but they promised info (soon) about Finn and KMT over a month ago now and have yet to deliver despite talking about the Snoke puppet, the puffins...etc. That, plus the fact a lot of their leaks appear to be wardrobe based and I just don't think they're going to have them same insight they did with TFA.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It depends, because it could potentially affect the dynamic between Finn and Rey (depending on where they go with it).

JediAce1 likes this.
  4. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

Yeah I doubt that's true. Generally when they don't post about things when they said they will, it's because whoever their source was told them not to say anything yet or they didn't get whatever they were posted completely verified. That's how spoilers work. It'll all come out eventually. I don't even mind now since R1 is out.

5. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Gawd, I had to dig deep just to find this buried thread.

It came to me today that the last time Finn saw Rey she was lying unconscious on the snow. As Finn was being impaled by Kylo his last thoughts probably were that he and Rey were going to die on that world. But even more important Finn is unaware of Rey's force abilities because she never got to truly display them in front of him.

Since TLJ picks up about where TFA left off and since from the teaser we know that Finn starts off the TLJ in his coma-like state, do you think TPTB will provide a scene in which we see Finn, after realizing he made it out alive afterall, getting brought up to speed regarding Rey's situation? Perhaps during the moment immediately after he wakes from his sleep? If it goes down like that would the first or second question out of Finn's mouth be about Rey's whereabouts and do you think he would be disappointed to know she has left him behind while he was recuperating?

On the other side of the galaxy will Rey even wonder about Finn's recovery or will she be too locked in on her training to have time to think about it? There is also the issue of whether she is even able to communicate with the Resistance even if she wanted an update. Perhaps she will be able to sense something through the Force ala Luke in ESB.

Regardless of whether one saw the bond between Rey and Finn as strictly platonic or filled with romantic potential, the fact is there relationship in TFA was the key one of the film so it will be fascinating if the two characters even acknowledge the other sometime in between when they are having their separate adventures.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I will be disappointed in Rey if she just forgets about Finn and does not ever wonder how he is, although I do expect that she'll be pretty engrossed in her training.

As far as Finn, I imagine his first thought will be "Where the hell am I" but I assume he'll want to get back to the Resistance--and find out where Rey is--as soon as possible.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    There were rumors of Finn having a form of Amnesia a while back. I really hope that is not true, that would be horrible if it were to happen :(

8. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    Amnesia would be interesting and they do seem to be revisiting the same arc he had in tfa? maybe everyone will be telling him he's a hero and he doesn't know what they're talking about!
    I think we'll get some long distance pining for sure. Finn will understand why rey went to find luke, and I would consider it thoughtless if rey never thinks of finn or mentions him because that makes no sense considering the bond they established in tfa. maybe she brings him up during her interaction with kylo ren?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

9. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014
    Part of me thinks Finn will have the same type of skepticism being told about Rey's abilities as Han did when he was informed about Luke being a Jedi in Return of the Jedi.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I hope not. He needs to continue on his arc of having the courage to leave the First Order, and he can't do that if he doesn't even remember leaving.

11. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    If Finn likes Rey romantically, he better be clear in his interest and make a move, or he'll get friendzoned like Sir Jorah Mormont.

It only causes suffering.

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i kind of doubt it because he knows about kylo's abilities, so it's not too much of a stretch to understand that others can have such abilities. he might be surprised to learn that rey does though.

cerealbox likes this.
  13. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    Not to mention that he was told about the Jedi and the force along with Rey by Han on the Falcon. Also how soon we forget: "We'll use the force!"

oncafar likes this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i still really like the idea that if there is a time jump that it could be told through finn. after a scene cut, he wakes up and finds that the "world" is a bit different (not drastically so, i mean i'm sure he hasn't been in a coma for years lol). it wouldn't be amnesia, but it would have a similar feeling in that there has been a passage of time in which certain events have occurred and finn was not awake for those events. last he remembers he was fighting kylo on SKB. maybe he won't even be on d'qar anymore, since the FO knows where the resistance was. anyway this would tie the audience into everything that has changed too because it will also be new to us. i think it would be cool if he wakes up when the resistance is under attack and no one is even monitoring him directly in the crisis. this is a bit off topic though...

15. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Such an amnesia would be a very cheap device of driving ahead or developing a plot. And in case of an amnesia for Finn, it would make more sense when he wakes up to see Phasma's helmet (on the living Phasma) and some other old FO-Dudes instead of a bunch of alliance-rebels. I wonder what would have been if Vader had had an amnesia after Mustafar?

It is enough for me that I have to wonder for myself about what happened in all those time-gap years between EP. III and IV. But for this we have "Dark Times" and "Rebels", eh?

16. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    Has Rian commented on this relationship at all?

I've lowered my expectations of there being any development between them going forward.

17. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014

Han knew about the Force too first hand after his experiences with Vader in ESB. He still didn't accept at first the idea of Luke being a jedi when Chewie told him in RotJ

18. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    yeah, but finn saying "we'll use the force" shows kind of an acceptance/embracing of the idea rather than skepticism towards it. han was the one who was less "open minded" ("that's not how the force works!").

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I don't think Finn will have doubts that Rey has the force, when told. When he wakes up, he'll know that Rey had to have defeated Kylo someway. By obviously using the Force.

Unlike Han, who after being unfrozen, didn't have a clue how the others escaped or that Luke went to Dagobah.

20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Im still hanging onto hope for this continued bond to play a tangible role in the trilogy. Honestly, it's hard to picture a scenario where I wouldn't be pretty critical of it being dropped/turned into something casual.

21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I think at this point, no matter what happens, they'll always regard each other as "family."
    Since they were both orphans growing up, who finally found kinship with each other.

22. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Plus, would it even make biological sense? The spine doesn't store memories, so why would damaging it cause amnesia?

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
  24. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    I really believe the romance thing won't go the way everyone wants it to go just look at the interviews and read between the lines just as you read that finn and rey are just friend zoned forever:

"Finn's a big deal. Hes a big deal in the resistance now. I mean, you've got to think about it, between [episodes] VII and VIII, people have now heard about all the amazing things that he has done. And now he's, like, waving and saying hi to all the resistance ladies around," Boyega shared.

"It is that kind of transition," he joked, when asked if Finn's experience mimics his real life. "It's crazy! It's a fun time."

Finn's popularity will also been seen through the eyes of a new character, Rose, played by Kelly Marie Tran.

"Kelly's character is an absolute fan of Finn. She's so interested. It takes an interesting turn though as they get closer," Boyega teased. "The dynamic between them is very interesting. Finn sees a lot of himself in her, and she's still trying to figure out her place. She's not a soldier. She's not a pilot. She's trying to figure out what can she impart that's important to the good fight. And so they both have to figure that out together."

1:51 mark

He said it takes an interesting turn as they get closer then daisy comments on the role being crucial in my opinion you read between the lines i see a double agent or someone who will be compromised and turns coat some how. They also talked about how all the main chartacters from the TFA will be tested and they most likely won't blow up the death star/star killer base this time around it will more in the vein of empire stirkes back to where evil dark side will prevail.

25. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

This sounds like a Finn/Rose first act setup. She's enamored/something occurs/they resolve it over the duration of their part of a parallel narrative. Not sure what else can be gleaned from this interview.