main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    So a lot of things about this movie annoy me, but dropping the finnrey bond as pretty much irrelevant is a big one. That script couldn’t possibly have ignored it more. I liked Rey leaving him a goodbye message, but then that’s it. They don’t interact again. Why? It’s such a waste. Their dynamic was popular. I don’t understand RJ, but whatever. It’s not that big of a deal. It’s just a bummer.

2. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Bond? What bond?

If anything, it sounds like RJ has tried to remove any evidence that Finn or Rey ever shared a connection. I guess he figured that Rose would serve as a suitable stand in for Rey while Finn bumbles about through his filler storyline. I can't really see them interacting in a significant way in Episode IX as the characters seem to be moving in completely different directions.

3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Finn and Rey's adventures were the best things about TFA imo. I'm too cynical about people and culture to not see this all as done deliberate. They create a character for finn to essentially repeat his TFA arc with. Then they force in a last min kiss so that there's no doubt where this is going. Then they make sure to have rey see finn sitting at rose's bedside before the two reunite. That is so that finn and rey's "bond" "connection" whatever, is sealed. Not happening. Why would someone burn down an aspect of the previous film that was universally loved? Finn and rey together, romantic or not, the two of them together is something nearly everyone agreed on being great. So why would someone go through all the trouble to completely smash it?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Going to have to read a lot of Rey and Finn fan-fiction to get over this, I think.

Rey and Poe meet at some point right?

5. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    John already told us it wasn't going are way

VARIETY: So there’s no romance?
    BOYEGA: Yes, Finn and Rey – they’re just friends. Finn is a Stormtrooper, so he doesn’t really know what’s going on. So the romance thing is something that’s going to be interesting in the next installment. It’s not going to go the way you think it’s going to go.

6. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Thats whatever, but why did they lock out their relationship completely? As I said, they were the best things of the previous film. Why work so hard to make sure that never happens again?

7. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    TPTB made it clear that they want Boyega as far away from Ridley's character as possible.

8. rorow1

rorow1 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2017
    Idk. I think with how (little )things are planned out so far she is not gonna end up in a relationship w/ Finn or anyone. I think she is might be meant to become the teacher that restarts the Jedi order. I also think that is why they chose not to make Finn force-sensitive to avoid this student-teacher/will they, won't they dynamic. I think they created a weird dynamic in giving Finn someone that feels about him they way he feels about Rey and that opens up a lot of options for where all 3 and their relationships will go. I think Rey may even have feelings for Finn, but I don't think she has time to really process any of this stuff right now( in a very Katniss sort of way) and her connection to Kylo( that she didn't ask for) only makes everything more complicated. I think the SG had to choose between letting him pine for Rey or give him another character to perhaps find a future w/ that he couldn't have w/ Rey. I think they have great chemistry on screen( even more off screen), I don't know if they can pull off sexual tension but maybe we will find out in ix. I don't think she is gonna end up w/ Ben/Kylo even if he is redeemed just because there is too much baggage there( the scene w/ the his shirt off sounds a lot like the a scene in The Hunger Games where Katniss was uncomfortable w/ Peeta's shirt and pants being off because she had to clean his wound. She blushed too but I don't think it was sexual just her being generally uncomfortable). Plus, their bond is strong enough to survive them being occupied w/ other things that give them limited time together. The best thing about their bond is that it is rooted in friendship and they will always have each other, no matter what.
    I also just generally think that Jedi forego relationships. I view it as a higher calling type of job. She may want to be with Finn and in another life she would be, but that's not the life she has now. I don't know if the dedication and sacrifice it takes to be a Jedi that you can be half in. It is telling that even in Mark's head-canon he wasn't the father of the child that ended up killing himself w/ a lightsaber and he said he stopped being a Jedi to be with them. And he said Jedi are celibate in that wired video.

9. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Seems like they're setting up ReyPoe by the end of the movie.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Because everything else would be predictable and mainstream. It's out of fashion to celebrate something good.

11. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    oh i think its worse than that.

12. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Another weird thing about all of this is that Finn and Rey just so happened to be on the Supremecy at the same time but this setting isn't where they reunite. They probably don't even know the other person is on the ship.

13. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I agree with this 100%. But I do think it's a big deal- and just part of the story that I won't like. I felt like they humanized each other given they were the first REAL consistent interaction with another human being in... maybe ever? Their relationship established is something no other character can touch, as they became protective of each other's well being above their own. They developed a history that seems like is just being completely ignored.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    omg. this thread.

15. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    ... is in flames, just like Finn's thread as well.

16. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Err... I saw the movie. Finn-Rey bond not irrelevant. In fact, at the end, when Rey sees Finn caring for Rose, there's a faint look of jealousy (or maybe wistfulness) on her face.

17. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    There is none. lol

18. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Since SW became so much Reylo oriented, maybe it's because she wish she had this with Kylo.
    It does sound terrible but it's not impossible.

19. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    that’s kind of worse.

20. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I didn't get that AT ALL. Kylo was interested in romance with her, I think, but she always seemed focused on trying to pull him back to the light. When he made his fateful offer, the camera lingers (because you need tension there), but her decision was.... strong. And pretty absolute. And at the end, she literally closed the door on Kylo. She seemed very pleased to see Finn, and, of course, she did not know about Rose. It struck me that she assumed FInn was still there for her, and now she's not so sure. I thought it was bittersweet. I can;t wait to see what happens in IX.

hermiona52 and Ryanpaulstewart like this.
  21. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    It’s back to JJ who made the original Finn/Rey story (THANK JESUS) so it could happen again.

I have some issues with JJ but he created these characters that hooked me so I’m happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    Finn and Rey supposedly don't exchange a single line of dialogue in the entire film.

23. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    That sucks. I’m not gonna lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    It's hard to have any kind of faith in JJ when he loved the script for episode 8 so much he wish he had directed it, he also referred to Kylo a "Prince" and Rey as a Princess and made sure Rey called Finn a "friend" at the end of episode 7.
    For all we know he is also rooting for Reylo.

25. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I mean JJ and RJ are both privileged middle-aged white dudes so it makes sense they identify with Kylo the most (thus also giving him the girl).

MJ-100 likes this.