main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    This disturbs me .. but .. was Rose also brought in response to the Stormpilot business? It was mentioned in interview and I guess Disney would NOT be cool with it.

After I saw the film a first time, I was sure that Finn/Rey was done given Rose's presence and kiss... but ... second time - Rose's kiss was def one-sided (given that she was about to pass out and they were both about to be blown up, Finn's lack of reciprocity is somewhat understandable). His reunion with Rey ... appropriate. They both really care about each other and yeah.. Rey does notice Rose so ..

Brennan Marshall likes this.
  2. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    TP (argh my internet is buggy as.. )

3. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Many Stormpilot fans acknowledge that Finn was attracted to Rey in TFA. I think if TPTB really wanted to deflate that fandom they would give Poe a female love interest (of course he could be bi, but a lot of Stormpilot fans are very invested in Poe having a male LI). A rushed FinnRose romance seems more like a clumsy way to separate Finn and Rey imo and I say that as someone who likes FinnRey and FinnPoe equally.

Jazz9276, Miriedis, Blastaar and 4 others like this.
  4. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    blu likes this.
  5. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    This movie is going to be divisive....but I enjoy it all the same. The look on Finn's face when Rose kissed him....it's nothing at ALL romantic and I think that was completely deliberate. This film LOVES screwing with expectations....I mean Finn spends time with Rose so they fall in love right? Kylo has some light in him so the heroine turns him to the light side right? "No" on both counts. I mean the Look on Rey's face when she reunited with Finn....and the way he ran to her....was exactly the kind of warm connection I was missing throughout the entire film.....I hope Rey and Finn are 'The Battle couple' of your next film because I really missed that dynamic.

6. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I'd like to say none at all!
    Until I watch this movie or if I do as so far nothing about this I find worth watching if Rey really let Kylo trick her like that I'd want Finn to recognise that so he can get back to being who he really is a former child soldier fighting his former masters and not wasting his time over someone who clearly has more important things to do given she's not even a Jedi Padawan and just lost her teacher under frankly idiotic circumstances!

7. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
  8. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016
    Now that the heroes are all grouped together on the Falcon, it's hard to see how the Finn/Rey bond will stand out in any way in IX.

It's not like in TFA where they were just two young people thrown together on an adventure.

Now they're members of a friend group which includes Poe and Rose, and it's the group dynamic that will likely take center stage.

It's kind of like the original trilogy in reverse, where ANH emphasized the dynamic between Luke, Han, and Leia before isolating Luke for much of ESB and ROTJ while bonding Han and Leia much closer together.

In IX, we'll probably get much more trash-compactor-esque bonding scenes between Rey, Finn, Poe, and Rose, where the 4 have to work together to get out of trouble.

9. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I didn't expect Finn and Rey to have literal beacon bracelets that trace back to each other. And I guess Rey's behavior on the topic of Finn kinda debunks the idea that he was giving more than he was getting out of their bond, but the end now makes it seem that she cared more than he did for her. Hmm...

2Cleva likes this.
  10. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    The article's author must have seen a different movie than the one I did. It assumes that Rose is already Finn's love interest which is a reach. They had no chemistry in the film and an awkward one-sided kiss before she blacked out. There was more romance in Rey and Finn's reunion hug than in the entirety of Finn and Rose's interactions.

Also that there was sexual tension between Rey and Poe, from a simple introduction and smile? Reaching. People were saying the same thing about Rey and Poe based on a passage near the end of the TFA novelization that ended up not even appearing in the movie.

But hey, ship that keeps Finn and Rey apart...

Blastaar and 2Cleva like this.
  11. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    DP. Please delete.

12. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Skywalkers and relationships don't go well, fortunately Rey is not a Skywalker

13. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Indeed. It seems like Rian was in on it too. From removing the Rey message to Finn to that ending scene with Finn covering Rose - there is ways to go away from it.

Hopefully JJ brings it back.

Chewies_bandolier and frail47 like this.
  14. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I love how after TFA some people were talking about how Finn and Rey should totally just stay friends and not get into a forced romance, even though there was already a solid basis and great development between them. But NOW with Finn and Rose after a somewhat rushed relationship and an awkward one-sided kiss, certain people are like, "omg Finn and Rose are in love!!" same with Rey and Poe's short exchange.

Funny how that works huh. I wonder why that is...

Jazz9276, Ren Kylo, Blastaar and 7 others like this.
  15. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    DP

16. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Finn and Rey's hug is so pretty and emotional. Rey looks genuinely happy, which isn't exactly a theme of this movie.

17. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    The shipping situation post-TLJ is exactly what you would expect for a trilogy that is being written on the fly. Literally every option is on the table. Finn and Rey still share an unbreakable bond, while Kylo and Rey share this weird connection. Two wildcards were thrown into the mix: although clearly one-sided, Finn and Rose went further than all the other couples at this point and there were definitely sparks between Poe and Rey.

Let's not get emotionally invested in any of the options. It can only lead to disappointment.

blu, sterling3763 and Ryanpaulstewart like this.
  18. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    Response to each one of your statements: Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. And Yes.

Also, can we please go back to trilogy templates? The ST is turning into a storytelling party game.

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Everyone is attracted to everyone + angst + pining = Dawson's Creek. RJ inserted everything I hate into SW.

blu, TheLastHaterOfZero and Blastaar like this.
  20. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I'm hoping that IX has Finn and Rey sent on important missions to gather resources and reach out for allies and those willing to resist against the First Order. I'm hoping there isn't too much of a time skip because I don't like the idea of it feeling too fragmented and having to fill in even more blanks in-between the story. It's still weird to think about how small the Resistance is now and what they're gonna do next, but I guess we'll see.

21. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    Lmao exactly. I can’t even think of a good way to resolve this mess. If they go Finn/Rey, then Rose gets left in the dust and in a “nerdy Asian girl gets passed over for the traditionally pretty white girl”. If they go Finn/Rose and Poe/Rey, it just erases all of TFA’s set up (which I guess this film has already done). Maybe Rey can just Romeo and Juliet herself with Kylo and we can all be happy.

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    People this is easily solved, Rey and Finn work together to push Rose and Poe into one anthers arms....then the 'one true pair' walk off into the sunset as Poe and Rose get cuddly with one another.

23. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    Finally saw the film...Finn and Rose don't have the same chemistry as Finn and Rey

Jazz9276 likes this.
  24. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    we'll see if JJ decides to punt everything RJ "set up" (he really didn't set up anything.). I know i'd burn down any and every bit of nonsense I could. Finn rose? nope, punchline hux? nope, broom boi? outta here, Rey trainer? nope. Unfortunately there's no way to repair the awful crap done with "luke's death".

25. Kthru12

Apr 4, 2016

Rey is probably going to end up single. They've given no indication they're leaving that aspect of the Jedi lifestyle behind.

Finn and Rose probably will be paired up. Hopefully JJ can make their relationship more compelling than RIan did.

Poe will probably stay single as well. But I'm sure he'll be too busy with his military/political career to care either way.

26. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    If they choose to go that route, I'd feel pretty bad for Rey. This is a girl who at the beginning of this had no idea what rain and snow was, and most likely had felt affection for the first time after meeting Finn. After seeing Rose in Finn's care at the end, and Kylo saying that she's "nothing except to him" , I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a misunderstanding that Rey believes because of Kylo's words.