main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    What was rey's message for finn she left with chewie?

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    It's "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW"

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    "Sorry I left you but I'm at Jedi school."

4. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Ok I just rewatched the last scene and let me say that Rey did not look upset at all. She looked quite content actually (and again it's not like she saw Rose kiss Finn or else tht would REALLY be bad).

I think that the scene established how it isn't just Finn and Rey against the world anymore. Both Rey and Finn are getting used to belonging in the Resistance, and they probably feel a great deal of accountability for the well-being of their friends now.

Also, I really think that the reason Rey smiled after Poe says he knows about her is because she knows that Finn didn't forget about her. Like she knows that Finn kept asking/telling Poe about her, and seeing Finn taking care of another Resistance member shouldn't bother her.

Like I said it took me a second viewing to realize how simple these scenes really might be. Now I really am thinking that people were trying to start stuff. Any excuse to say that a Finn and Rey romance is dead huh...

5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    It IS dead. The reason Lucasfilm created Rose is so they can get Finn away from Rey. That's why they rushed this romance with Rose and why it feels forced.

It's super clear Rey and Kylo relationship is at the center of the story and why her relationship with Finn is pointless and doesn't matter. They didn't even exchange dialogue in the movie.

Camaro, Trevor Eyesacs and Blastaar like this.
  6. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I have to disagree a little bit. I don't think Finnrey's dead at all, but I do think some things were left open-ended. The only potential romance that was truly murdered is reylo.
    That being said, however, if we're going by which romance would be the most plausible and believable at this given point (and one that the audience would care more about), I think Finnrey would be the obvious choice if we're going by emotional value. But you're right, anything can happen. That's just my opinion on how things could play out.

Jacques who and Blastaar like this.
  7. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016
    They turned finn into comic relief a real buffoon the romance thing with rey would have gave him a little significance right now he is a human CP30

8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    They were poorly utilized together in the movie. Even the last 20% or so could have been better with them working together and communicating.

9. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I hope we'll see them together for more time in IX.

10. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    How is it NOT dead? Rose kisses Finn on the lips for a reason. They could have had her kiss him on the forehead or cheek if they wanted to keep their options open but they didn't do that.

Rey and Finn don't exchange a single line of dialogue for a reason.

11. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016
    Yeah it's definitely dead! but i do think rose kissing him was one sided...Finn look like he didn't get it and he didn't kiss back

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Any thing is open right now for whatever JJ decides to do.

But at this point, I doubt him being Rey's boyfriend automatically gives him significance.

13. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016
    Hey something he at least has a real character bond with the lead character.. that would give him something because right now he has nothing to stand on

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Loved Rey and Finn's reunion moment. It validated the strong bond they built in TFA.

But the romantic possibility is likely dead. The look that Rey gives Finn/Rose at the end was total and complete "get it bro!". No jealous, longing, nothing. Just happiness that her bestie might have found love.

Finn is her found family. Which, considering Rey's journey, is profoundly important.

Gemlake likes this.
  15. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016
    So are we supposed to believe that rose and Finn are a romance couple? She forced a kiss on Finn and people say ahh she was alnost died and blah blah blah..the writers forced that character on Finn forced the kiss that Finn was looking really perplexed about to force the audience to think that Finn and rose is romance to force Finn away from Rey

Blastaar likes this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

These are fictional characters. You can't "force" them on each other. Rose was as "forced" on Finn as Finn was "forced" on Rey.

I don't know if Rose and Finn will be a couple. But that was obviously presented as a possibility.

Yora and cerealbox like this.
  17. nagajuna

Feb 5, 2016

18. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016

19. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    You have people in reylo threads talking about how Rey and Kylo romance is still TOTALLY a possibility despite what we know happens. That being said, there's no reason to say a Finn and Rey romance is off the table considering Finn shows more emotion hugging Rey than he ever does for Rose. Even the balcony scene which everyone said had to be romantic had nothing to do with romance but with Rose passive-aggressively telling Finn why Canto Bight is a terrible place.

I know a lot of people like to use the phrase, "Finn and Rey are like brother and sister!" But to be honest if anything that's definitely the vibe I got more with Finn and Rose. If not for that one-sided kiss then there wouldn't be anyone finding anything romantic between them. Finn never even so much as acts attracted to her once throughout the entire film, nor does he even react to her kiss. His entire body and facial expression is rigid when she does it. Him telling DJ to give Rose back her medallion was even in a more 'protective big brother' fashion than 'protective boyfriend.'

Even the way he was taking care of her at the end wasn't romantic. And the idea of Rey seeing that and instantly being like, "Welp, I guess we're over" but still having an open mind about Kylo (or even Poe suddenly) is beyond stupid. Then again a lot of things RJ did in this movie was stupid but still. The only romance that was supposed to be obliterated (to anyone with half of a functioning brain) was reylo and people are still saying that's an option somehow.

I don't see why JJ would look at the story for IX like, "Ok, now that Finn is practically married to Rose..."

Let's just say that if Finn and Rose in TLJ were replaced once more with Finn and Rey, people wouldn't be saying there's definitely romance intended for them. They'd be saying the same thing they said in TFA except they'd be kinda right this time.

20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    There is no stronger connection between any two people in this trilogy than Rey and Finn to me. Yes that includes Rey and Kylo with their warped, abuse-fest/forced connection imposed by Snoke. That Rey/Finn hug was the best moment of the entire movie for me. It's the only time Rey seems truly happy. Imagine that, a bond forged because it makes two people happy as opposed to miserable.

100% I get romantic attraction between Rey and Finn. That said, who the hell knows what their intentions are in this trilogy. There are arguments for romantic reylo, finnrose, poerey, and FinnRey. I literally feel that JJ could do whatever there. Two movies into a trilogy, I feel that perfectly encapsulates how horribly defined these characters are. For that reason I feel no investment in FinnRey anymore. Crap JJ could introduce a new character in the next movie and portray him as having a sweeping romance with Rey. This isn't a story, it's a collection of plot points.

2Cleva, Blastaar, Sgt. Carver and 8 others like this.
  21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I didn't see any romantic chem between Finn and Rose. Doesn't mean that's not on the docket.

I'm totally open to Finn/Rey. I was from the very first time I saw TFA.

I just don't think that's in the cards. And, so far, I'll trust me track record when it comes to these things.

Trevor Eyesacs and RiddleMeThis like this.
  22. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    So they're gonna release deleted scenes along with the blu-ray of TLJ. I'm looking forward to seeing Finn's face when he sees Rey kiss him on the forehead :)

23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
  24. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    This is so stupid.

jaqen likes this.
  25. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    If there is going to be any romantic connections (don't really want or need that), then Im hoping its Rey and Poe.