main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    And how do all these things imply a romantic feeling instead of a straight friendship?

The only thing I see are some fans, for whatever the reason, wanting to pair the two of them.

2. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Why do fans pair Rey and Kylo up? Why do fans pair Finn and Poe up?

What exactly are you asking?

cbsnswf2390 likes this.
  3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Some fans, the script writers, the actors and probably the director of VII ... (putting Finn and Rey together) - not in response to the post above '

;)

4. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    The general consensus to me is not that Finn has captured Rey's heart or even the other way around. The thought is that the seed has been planted in TFA if they decide to go in the direction of a romance. And if they do, we think it could be a good addition to the ST. But most people who 'ship' Finn and Rey really just want to see the two paired and grow throughout the trilogy and they don't have to be paired romantically.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    FinnRey may not end up romantic, but it won't be because he fell for her and she friendzoned him. Besides the fact that that wasn't in VII, it also won't be in VIII. This isn't a WB/CW high school prime time melodrama. That crap isn't SW material, hence the reason it's not in TFA.

This made up stuff really doesn't belong over here. Forget the fact that they're doubles, this poster believes she got the scoop apparently outsourced all the professionals spying over there, and posts in one agenda thread. This stuff belongs on 4chan, not here.

Gyasi Mandara and Obiwan10 like this.
  6. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    The movie goes out of it's way to focus on various intimate moments between them. The "Come with me/Don't Go" scene. "He said it was your idea" *Cue Everlasting Hug that has to be broken up by Han*. Their final scene, which you seem to be implying was a "friendzone" moment (As Finn was unconscious?), was actually shot in a very intimate manner, with Rey kissing Finn, promising to see him again, before going off on her journey to find Luke. That was no friendly peck on the forehead, they zoom in and linger on them, and her eyes tell a story of their own.

And of course, you've got Finn asking her if she has a boyfriend, which actually plays more comedic, but was an early interaction, and sets the stage to show that at the very least, their interactions could safely be viewed through a flirtatious lens.

JJ definitely didn't lean too heavily in one direction, so fair play to you if you don't think they'll end up together. But I think you're being a bit obtuse in questioning how other people could possibly conceive of them being a couple. This is arguably the strongest relationship we've seen in a SW movie.

Pablo himself was pretty coy about it when asked, so it's not like people are grasping at straws. The film leaves you questioning where they will head in regards to one another, I think that's what it was meant to do. And unlike the other "ships", I don't think this one is based on fangirling/"shipping", but, just what's in the actual released material.

Edit : Beardwalker ; this topic is going to be the death of me. I was trying to wean myself off of this franchise and these characters, and have even considered going dark on all the spoilers and leaks....but it's so hard to stay away....[face_laugh]

7. Brobi-Wan

Brobi-Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2016
    Really?
    Let's see:
    Anakin and Padme (he went to the dark side to try to save her)
    O
    Brobi-Wan and Satine (he would have left the Jedi Order for her)
    Han and Leia

Non-romantic:
    Brobi-Wan and Qui-Gon
    Brobi-Wan and Anakin
    Brobi-Wan and Luke
    Luke and Han
    Luke and Leia
    R2 and Anakin
    R2 and Luke
    Anakin and Ahbroka
    Anakin and Shmi
    Bro2-D2 and C3PBro
    Luke and Chewie
    Luke and Biggs
    Han and Lando
    Padme and Bail Organa
    Han and the Millennium Falcon
    Poe and BB8

Yeah, not even an argument. Not even in the discussion.

8. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    So ... any suggestions for how to avoid this thread being diverted into yet another (tedious) Finnrey vs Reylo attack? I think we are almost copy pasting the same stuff from the VII threads :\

(I tend not to post on threads involving characters or dynamics that do not interest me, for a start).

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  9. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I don't usually read anything into social media posts, but as it seems to be a popular pastime these days, I noticed the caption to this adorable picture from John:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC7iJBDMCgM/?taken-by=john_boyega

"I don't know, I got beat by kylo and I can't remember anything". Made me consider the possibility that Finn might have some degree of amnesia after his coma. That hadn't occurred to me before.

DL44Jo, Darkspellmaster and Arcanah like this.
  10. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    It's obviously a discussion, hence people discussing.

Rey and Finn were shown bonding in a way that is unlike what we have seen in a SW saga film. I won't compare them to TCW because that allowed for a lot of development over a long period of time. But in terms of the films, TFA was structured around FinnRey's bond. It's irrelevant for that discussion whether they end up romantic. It's just a fact. And it is an incredibly strong bond that they established just by virtue of their histories. They both have pretty much nobody but each other. They come to trust and rely on each other very quickly, and tackle the movie as a team. It's a really beautiful friendship that could easily develop into more.

My guess on this is he was in character for the kids but didn't want to spoil anything. I'm not sure what narrative function amnesia would serve Finn or the story. On a different note, though, Boyega is such love.

11. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    John is pretty quick on his feet and was staying in character. Probably just a quick wit response to explain why Rey isn't there.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Given that Luke ended the OT alone, I don't see it as any more dramatically interesting for Rey to do so. A Jedi who CAN have a healthy/stable personal/romantic life while also being a Jedi WOULD be something refreshingly different.

And I hope that they don't pull an ESB and have them spend most of the movie apart. The first part, sure. But it doesn't make as much sense to do it here as it did in that film (especially with the Luke stuff thrown in).

13. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    Yes really. I said *arguably*, and it's subjective, so it's not like I have some exact science to measure on-screen relationship strength.

Most of your list isn't even shown in any real capacity on screen. Padme and Bail? What? The point was about what we actually saw of their interactions, in which case, yes, Finn and Rey are *clearly* amongst one of the best duos we've seen. We've only had 6 other movies, mind you. The prequels are poorly directed, and the OT only had 3 characters to really argue over.

I can understand, and may even agree with, an argument for any of the original trio. But...I definitely don't think that any of them were as close as Finn and Rey were after ANH. I mean, we're trying to compare characters that knew each other for years, to characters that knew each other for a very short period of time. But make no mistake, Rey and Finn clique up *like this* in their short time together. Here's Boyega and Ridley talking about it : http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi...boyega-on-rey-finns-chemistry-in-star-a129231

All I know is that, after knowing each other for like 1 day, these two are ride-or-die for one another, willing to sacrifice their lives and face their greatest fears for one another, and both seem to fulfill each others emotional needs (Rey looked at Finn like no-one ever had, Finn came back for her). Young, sporty, gutsy duo.

I don't think it points to amnesia. I think he's referring to the fact that Finn won't know about what happened at the end of the film (Unless he's told by someone else).

This is actually a subtle point that we've been talking about recently within the thread on TFA forum.

Most of Rey's gestures towards Finn were when he either couldn't see them, didn't notice, or was unconscious. She keeps a straight face very well, particularly during his confession (Where, we KNOW she was hurt, given her abandonment issues). She even refuses to let him see her emotion during the hug. Can't post the gif, but she goes from stern to melting the second he can't see her face. Of course, there's the crying gif that I posted on the first page, as well as the goodbye scene we've been talking about (Where he is unconscious....she wasn't speaking to him, she was pepping up herself).

I think that all of this may end up affecting their relationship in a way that we tend to overlook. Finn may very well wake-up feeling as though Rey "abandoned" him, could lead to some interesting dynamics. They both care deeply about each other (Even if only as friends), but Rey seems to know where Finn stands, Finn might not know where Rey stands.

Or maybe Rey just told someone to tell Finn that she had to leave and he doesn't dwell on it. Who knows at this point.

Obiwan10 and loststars like this.
  14. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

I really hope they don't either. Daisy and John have amazing chemistry and I want to see a lot more of that. I think that Rey and Finn both have these storylines that are much bigger than just a romance storyline, but they clearly care for each other deeply. They did have to put Finn in a coma in order for them to separate. I would love to see them kiss or something like that by the end of the trilogy. It doesn't even need to be a big storyline because it's shown through other ways how much they care for each other already.

cbsnswf2390 and Nanosoft like this.
  15. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Nanosoft ~ Don't leave! Stay on the dark side :p

Nanosoft likes this.
  16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014

-Anakin and Padme-Don't even get me started on how terrible that was.
    -Obi Wan and Qui Gon-Decent but I still wouldn't rank it higher than this one.
    -Obi Wan and Satine-Nope.
    -Obi Wan and Anakin-In TCW, possibly, in the films, HECK NO!!
    -Padme and Bail-Are you kidding? They barely share ANY screentime together, and they never seem particular close.
    -Luke and Biggs-You mean that one DELETED scene between then, again nope.
    -Anakin and Shmi-Not in the films.
    -Luke and Chewie-Seriously?

Some of these are in the conversation (Luke/Han, Luke/Leia, Luke/Obi Wan, etc), but the matter is hardly settled. And so on. And yes, there is a "discussion" to be had, and we're having it. To say "my thoughts are correct, and there's no debate about that" is incredibly condescending and does nothing to help your argument.

Obiwan10 and Nanosoft like this.
  17. loststars

Jan 22, 2016
    PADME AND BAIL? REALLY?!?!?!!?

You can not want Finn and Rey to be together for whatever reasons but that's patently ridiculous. They both went on heroes journeys together in the movie. A lot of the plot in the second half of the movie happens because of how they feel for each other. For example, Finn screaming Rey's name and not caring as Takodana is blown up and going back to Starkiller Base instead of running away to save her. Also, the Kylo fight. I think my favorite Finn moment of TFA is when Kylo knows Rey out and Finn hears his lightsaber turn on and he just picks it up and tries to fight Kylo Ren, the scary guy who he used to work for that's going around murdering innocent villagers when he has no real lightsaber experience. But yeah you can not like the idea but to say the bond is something less real than Padme and Bail who never even had any real scenes together when they were both alive is absurd.

Gyasi Mandara, Obiwan10 and Nanosoft like this.
  18. Brobi-Wan

Feb 26, 2016
    I'm not entirely sure what "ride-or-die" is, but I think I get it contextually, so I'll paraphrase Broda: "if so ride-or-die are you, why leave?" Finn was only able to come back for Rey because he abandoned her in the first place. Strongest relationship we've ever seen in SW? That's hilarious. There are plenty of relationships in SW where neither abandoned the other.

Yes, really. He was her most trusted ally.

19. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    You forgot a few:
    Jabba and Leia
    Dooku and Obi-Wan
    Mace and Jango
    Anakin and Watto
    Obi-Wan and Maul

Ride or die doesn't mean you spend every minute together, it means when it comes down to it, you aren't going to back out and leave them. Rey was relatively safe when he decided it was time for him to leave. When he found out she was in danger, he had no hesitation.

20. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    .....the information you got about the giggling and such...was between two stunt doubles in the filming an action scene...Finn was in London at the time...likely visiting sick children in the hospital. Also, I doubt that the directors are going to let the stunt doubles handle any romantic scenes.....

21. Brobi-Wan

Feb 26, 2016
    But he did brobandon her...
    Guess "ride-or-die" means you're with someone unless it's inconvenient for you.

Arcanah likes this.
  22. loststars

Jan 22, 2016

(also i'm not sure if that's even legit because of Disney's drone army and 600 guards) but yes this. The stunt doubles are there to do stunts. It can be easy to confuse the people doing the work and their camaraderie on a set but yeah they just do stunts. No acting in any kind of way.

23. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    .....When Finn walked away he left her in the care of Maz and Han....she was as Safe as could be reasonably expected given her situation. Even so he did offer her the chance to come with him and accepted her decision to remain with BB-8. However, he came back before he knew she was in danger, and once he did know she was in trouble he did everything in his power to rescue her. You can have disagreements, you can spend time apart....but 'Rider or die' means when the chips are down...you can count on them to have your back, and Finn does.

24. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015

He didn't "abandon" her. They went their separate ways after they reached safety. Then, the movie kept going, as they tend to do, and Finn and Rey continued to develop and bond. For example, after that, Finn came back for her, and Rey was beside herself with what that meant for her. Then they faced Kylo Ren together, and each fought for the other. Then Rey prepared herself to die with Finn.

Given everything else that this poster claims to have seen, and only this poster, I don't believe a word of it. That includes the non-spoiler sounding, believable speculation that doubles were bantering on a "horse" between takes. Reddit has proven time and again that these types of "spoilers" sound ridiculously self-serving to a particular fan group's agenda for a reason - they are usually 100% made up.

25. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    He did what he said that he was going to do, leave to get away from the FO. And he delivered BB-8 to Maz and Han, who could get him to The Resistance. Rey was with Han, Chewie, and Maz at the time and thus relatively safe. Heck he even asked her at least twice to come with him, but respected her choice to stay (which also speaks highly of him). And when he saw that things were going south, he IMMEDIATELY came back to try and help. And when he saw her get kidnapped by Kylo, he's desperate to try and save her.

This idea that he essentially went "later losers, I'm outta here" is simply not true.

Nanosoft likes this.