main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    The fact that he came back *after* he left is what makes it all the more important and special.

Rey see's Finn leave, they immediately cut to her forceback where the first line of dialogue is "COME BACK!". (Her abandonment complex is tingling at an all time high at this moment)

She's captured by Kylo...thinks she's on her own.

Next thing you know, she bumps into her new friends, including Finn, who was more afraid of the FO than anything.

And it was his idea....;)

They did the same thing in ANH/ESB. Han leaves after he gets his reward...only to later come storming back to take out Vader. ESB is all about Han wanting to leave.

2. Brobi-Wan

Brobi-Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 26, 2016
    If you're in the middle of something and someone leaves you, sorry (not sorry) but that's abandoning them. They were on a journey together and he tried to leave. So, please broscuse me if I'm not buying that they have the strongest relationship we've seen in SW, because it wouldn't even be top 10. Finn cared so much about Rey that he tried to leave her the first chance he got. But yeah, they had a great relationship!

Camaro and Arcanah like this.
  3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I think that they were referencing the Han/ Leia dynamic on Hoth .. the one where ya know - Han has to leave because of "Jabba and stuff" (AND he's known Leia a lot longer than Finn knew Rey), Leia is sad/annoyed/angry but he goes to leave anyway and she assumes he has, until something massive / Echo Base explodes and Han comes back looking for her to rescue her..

Just that.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Or Han leaving to go pay off Jabba in ANH, only to come back and help Luke (despite that potentially meaning even MORE trouble with Jabba in the future).

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

This doesn't describe the plot of the movie at all. They weren't on a "journey together" lol. Finn was escaping the FO. Rey was returning bb-8 and then headed home. Their characters actually had specific, individual motives.

Rhyoth and Ryanpaulstewart like this.
  6. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    Finn didn't abandon her. That's like me saying my sister abandoned me because she moved out of our apartment and moved into a new one with her boyfriend, ahaha. If Finn had just left and never talked to Rey you could make that argument but he didn't. He was honest with her and told her that he was a stormtrooper and saw the horrible things the FO did and was scared of what they would do and just wanted to get away. He asked her to come but she said no. Also, more importantly, when the FO attacked five minutes later, he was trying to find her and threw away his fears of the FO and wanting to run to help her because she was more important to him.

So if you think about it he's already much better than Han Solo if you're gonna be trivial like that. Relationships in SW mean different things to different people, it's not a contest. But to disregard their relationship when the sequel trilogies are built on it seems short sighted to me.

Also, Rey wanted to leave and go back to Jakku before Finn actually left. So did she want to abandon him?

7. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

It would appear that for some viewers this relationship worked and for others not so much. You are the latter, but I think your opinion represents a slim minority of the viewing audience. I happen to believe--based upon the content of TFA, that Rey and Finn do have a special i.e. strong bond. Whether it is romantic or platonic, in a certain respect, is irrelevant. The important part is that they were written to have intertwined destines and I think that is what this thread is intended to discuss.

8. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015

I mean, you can argue this point until you're blue in the face and it won't change what's in the actual movie (And it's related materials).

The fact of the matter is that by the end of the movie, these characters love each other.

If you personally would have been unable to forgive Finn, that's your personal standard. Rey, recognizing that he broke into the one place in the galaxy that he was most afraid of to attempt to rescue her, clearly didn't hold it against him.

Him leaving is used as a plot point to bring them closer together and to heighten individual characterizations. Finn is shown to be, at heart, a loyalist. Rey is shown to be deeply in want of people that will be loyal to her. It's ridiculous to say that they didn't have a strong relationship on the basis of this plot element, it's being used to show the exact opposite.

9. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    See if that interpretation were true, he'd never have come back and would've just kept going after the firing of SKB. However he did come back (and he didn't even know Rey was in danger) meaning in the end...he couldn't abandon her even when common sense told him staying any longer was too great a risk. So yeah, pretty strong bond.

10. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    Finn wasn't leaving her. Finn was trying to escape the reach of the organization that had controlled his entire life. That was his personal mission. She respected his decision to leave no matter how much she visibly didn't agree with it and he respected her decision to stay. They may not have had a mutual agreement but they both accepted that moment. Then the minute something goes down (FO takes out a whole system), Finn is back and finds out Rey is gone. Rey, in your terms, had abandoned everyone. Even her new father figure that she cared enough for that Kylo picked up on it. So now we have two people who practically just met. One his kidnapped by the FO and the other is deathly afraid of the FO. What does the scared one do? He goes all-in and without hesitation charges head-on against the FO in order to save her. After they succeed in finding Rey, she looks to be on the verge of an emotional breakdown after finding out it was Finn's idea. But ofc, their relationship isn't that strong.

EDIT: Brobi-Wan Looks like your notifications just blew up :D

11. MissG

MissG Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    I do think that Rey and Finn share a bond, it might not be of a romantic variety, but in my opinion it might develop into something similar to what Leia and Luke had in OT.

12. Ryanpaulstewart

Jan 13, 2016

Did we just form Voltron?

13. Geminiwankenobi

Geminiwankenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 10, 2016
    They have a strong friendship and it will be nice to see it develop. I feel like a lot of it was already built to a climax between these two as friends before the end if TFA because I think they will be apart for a while.

14. Brobi-Wan

Feb 26, 2016
    I just clicked on them, saw that they were all this thread, and brognored them.

15. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    So you're not here to discuss things I see.

16. Brobi-Wan

Feb 26, 2016
    It's not really a broscussion. It feels more like "duck season!" "rabbit season!" and that's no fun. So, I'm getting off the ride, because if it's not fun, why bother.

17. Ryanpaulstewart

Jan 13, 2016

Not disrespect, but i think your argument wasn't very strong. It was a surface handling of a complex dynamic. The thread called you out on it and was simply waiting for a response to our counter claim, which were largely echoes on the same theme.

18. Geminiwankenobi

Geminiwankenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 10, 2016
    Platonic love I think, she makes it clear that she sees him as a friend.

Darkspellmaster and Arcanah like this.
  19. Brobi-Wan

Feb 26, 2016
    I think the same thing about the arguments presented to me, which is why we will get browhere. I've learned that I can't discuss Rey and Finn with Finn/Reys. I can discuss plenty other Star Wars things, just not this. So, I'll see you guys in other threads, but I'm just wasting my time in this one.

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  20. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    by calling him a friend at the end? If that is what you mean, she isn't going to just declare Finn her boyfriend or anything. She stated what they are at that very moment. Friends. Now if she had called him brother or something, then you could say she showed she only has platonic feelings.

21. Ryanpaulstewart

Jan 13, 2016

When and where in TFA did Rey demonstrate she only saw Finn as a friend?

22. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Do you expect her to say "come to me my love" or something after she only knew him for like a day or so? Lmao of course they are only friends atm, finn even says I gotta save my friend before going onto SKB I believe. Nobody friend zoned anyone here.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

23. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I think it is because he didn't physically attack her or whatever, you know ... a true sign of love ..

(and sorry but I think I have just about had it with the entire board at this point in time).

24. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    ......and friendship can grow into love. Leia and Han didn't exactly start out running into one anthers arms. She actively disliked him at first but by ESB has grown to respect and like Han. Leia's dialogue with Han when trying to convince him to stay makes that much clear. Same with Rey, she thought Finn was a thief, then a resistance fighter but then they work together to escape the FO and you can clearly see the mutual respect and admiration they have for one another. Then Finn dose something for her no one else has, he comes back for her when she's in danger. She's spent years on her own, waiting for her family....and it's Finn (former Storm Trooper) that comes to her aid when she most needs him. Neither Finn or Rey are really ready for a relationship as they have so much about themselves to discover still, but they are well positioned to strengthen their bond.

Leave the board, take some time off to purse other interest. We'll be here when you get back.

25. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Every time I see discussions of how Rey supposedly rejects romance with Finn because she only likes him as a friend, I have flashes of CW prime time teenage melodramas. I avoid that stuff for a reason. Thankfully, I saw no hint of that stuff in TFA.