main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. rowan_greenleaf

rowan_greenleaf Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    100% agree, and this is why I say Finn wasn't friendzoned, he was in fact familyzoned by the end of TFA; not by Rey, but by the story itself, how things progressed. Rey is waiting for her family and they never come back for her. But who does? Finn. Her new family.

I agree with those who think that Finn and Rey's bond is part of the heart of TFA, one of several powerful human dynamics that made Episode VII capture hearts as well as imaginations.

Finn and Rey have grown up as orphans, and now they have found each other. While I agree that in the beginning there were a few moments of light flirtation on the part of *both* of them (not just Finn), by the end of TFA all the tension and spark between them has been zapped and replaced by a very comfortable and lived in dynamic that feels filial to me more than anything else.

I have no doubt that their relationship will continue to be important and will be one of the anchors that keeps the ST grounded in the human, lest we get too caught up with the awesomeness of spaceships and space horses and lose sight of the heart of the saga: people and people's connections to each other.

All of this to say: Star Wars will have a romance, all epic stories must. I don't think FinnRey is going to happen, nor do I want it to because of my personal preferences. For harmony and uncomplicated sweetness there is RL. For the big screen and for the stuff of fantasy, something a little more interesting, please. For both Rey AND Finn.

And now to separate between what I want and what can happen: I'm still not ruling FinnRey out. I can see how the writers have left themselves room to maneuver in pretty much any direction going forward.

The only thing I don't see them doing is introducing a new player for purposes of a romance with Rey. It will either be Finn, Poe, or Kylo Ren, imo.

2. Arcanah

Arcanah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2016
    You know...when I read your intro to this thread...the first paragraph.....it kind of sounds like a eulogy or a funeral sermon to me...was that intentional from your part...or you think it's kind of foreshadowing of the future trajectory of this bond we have gathered here to honour?
    :D

3. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    This is a finn/rey forum, so I won't go into this after this post, but I can't see any chance of Rey falling in love with kylo ren after what happened in tfa, no chance and if it does, it would literally destroy her character and everything we saw of her in tfa.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

4. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
  5. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

I largely agree though i will quibble about the cessation of childlike flirting, which I think is the result of the story shifting tone and emphasis.

6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    ........ Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the union of.....

No....not a funeral at all....

darth_frared and Beardwalker like this.
  7. Beardwalker

Beardwalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    How dare you try and twist my own answer on me. [face_laugh]
    However, when you get romantically involved with someone, they become family. :cool:

We don't know for sure their relationship would be all cutesy, uncomplicated and sweet. Will never know unless it happens.

8. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I do wonder why people assume that since they started out sweet the romantic relationship would remain steady and unchallenged throughout the films? The bond will be tested, that is almost certain, though how is a mystery at the moment.

Rhyoth likes this.
  9. Obiwan10

Obiwan10 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    Exactly, some people think its going to be smooth sailing for the both of them but we know it obviously won't be, things will get in the way and their bond will be challenged.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

10. PillowtalkG9

PillowtalkG9 Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2016
    Daisy got the role because she had the best on-screen chemistry with Adam.

Daisy Ridley, the actress who won the role of Rey, auditioned with the scene in which her character is questioned by Kylo Ren. In the room, Ridley wowed the casting directors and Abrams with her ability to go to a very emotional place — even working up some tears — and taking direction with ease.
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/1...e?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Kelly Tran got the role because she had the best on-screen chemistry with Boyega.

Despite the fact that Boyega admitted "Finn is not the romantic guy right now, he’s always sweating and panting or running. He doesn’t really have time for that." (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...creen-romance-plays-Christmas-game-stars.html), Lucasfilm have already planned for both Rey and Finn to have their own important relationship/ love interest, and they casted Kelly Tran for Finn.

So yeah i think Finn and Rey will remain as buddy, best friend, brother-sister figure in the future episode.

11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG]

This is the moment where things start. As a 'Resistance Soldier' Rey was impressed...but she had no interest in having her hand held....now...a few moments later she is offering her hand to him.....a major change in her attitude.

loststars likes this.
  12. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    That sounds more like she got it for acting ability and not "she worked extremely well with Adam Driver"

13. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    DR got the role because of her acting in a powerful scene with little dialogue to convey what was happening. That quote does not refer to chemistry, good grief. It's a torture scene, not a scene rife with romantic tension.

14. Geminiwankenobi

Geminiwankenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 10, 2016
    It's just the vibe I got, and this was long before I noticed reylo. This was upon first viewing i felt that she was not interested in the same way.

There's nothing much showing she's interested in ren either but i just saw a lot of cinematic direction pointing that way.

As of now if i take off my reylo goggles and just look at her, she seems like someone who is happy to be friends with people but is very guarded when it comes to her heart and who she gives it to.

15. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

Pretty sure Adam Driver wasn't even cast in the role of Kylo Ren when she was. Her and John's roles are the two leads of the movie and were more than likely the first ones they got down. Also considering she did the scene with a casting director and not Adam Driver, I don't know how this is relevant. She got the role because she was able to cry and show that much emotion during the tryout because Kylo is torturing her.

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

That is an important scene for Rey...but not because of Adam. It's the moment where she has to go from seeming vulnerable....to taking charge...and their own words make that clear

Chemistry reads do not equal romance. Look at BLack Widow and Captain America in "The WInter Soldier" they had great chemistry together and were partners throughout the film....but they were not romantically involved. Same goes for Widow and Hawk eye.

You do know that John jokes around a lot and was likely making a comment about how he'd been shown in the trailers up to that point...which neatly deflected the question.

Unless you have some stronger evidance of that I remain skeptical

Obiwan10 and loststars like this.
  17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Well I definitely agree that Rey is guarded. That made the speed with which she opened up to and trusted Finn all the more striking. She allowed herself to be vulnerable with Finn, and only Finn.

Ryanpaulstewart and loststars like this.
  18. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

Honestly, when I first watched TFA I thought the romantic angle--if I may be so bold as to suggest that, had been subsumed in the dramatic raising of the stakes for all characters. The third act is about survival and broad based character development. Finn becomes a warrior; Rey embraces her destiny and Kylo... well, goes on to be whatever is in store for him, I think villainy, but some think otherwise.

19. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006

Also....how many action adventure movie series have two romances between two different couples going on at the same time? Nothing in JJ Abrams or Kasdan's career suggests this?

20. Jakku

Jakku Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    I've often been bothered about Finn not only 'abandoning ' Rey at the first opportunity, but at him breaking his word to BB-8.

He got BB-8 to tell Rey the location of the Resistance base by promising to make sure BB-8 got back to that base. But at the point where he left Maz's castle, BB-8's future was unresolved. Han had refused to go anywhere near Leia, and Rey didn't have a ship of her own.

So Finn made the promise without intending to fulfill it. I'm not surprised BB-8 nearly knocked him down on D'Qar.

21. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    ......BB-8 was with Han and Maz....and Maz was already convincing Han to return with BB-8 to the Resistance, so he's fine there. Even so, Finn did come back, a fact some people choose to overlook.

Also...if you are suggesting BB-8 nearly bowled Finn over for any reason other than "The friend I thought was DEAD is alive!" I think you are gravely mistaken.

Here....Spock (logical Vulcan) had this reaction.

And since BB-8 is much more emotional than Mr. Spock I am not at all surprised he nearly bowled Finn over.

AhsokaSolo and loststars like this.
  22. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Driver was one of the very first actors cast. JJ wanted him for the role of Kylo so badly Adam didn't even have to audition for it.

23. Beardwalker

Jan 5, 2016
    We won't go back over the abandoning Rey thing because we covered that pretty thoroughly explaining why it shouldn't be seen as negatively abandoning her somehow.

And as for BB-8. Finn had gotten BB to the point where he had a smooth path to the resistance. He didn't know there were spies reporting the FO that they saw the bot in the cantina. Maz was in the process of convincing Han to go but then everyone ended up splitting off. Finn to the ship, Rey to the basement followed by Maz.

Obiwan10 likes this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The "friendzone" thing was always a ridiculous argument:

-Do some people not know how actual romance tends to work? People usually don't jump into bed together and proclaim their undying love for each other like a day and a half after meeting for the first time. Especially if they're two young people who have no previous experience in that regard. So the ending on TFA makes total sense. And it doesn't mean that a romance cannot develop in the future. It doesn't mean that it WILL 100% either.

-Rey kissing Finn on the lips while he's lying their in a coma could have been, awkward. So having it be a forehead one makes it sweet, without the potential creep factor seeping into it.

25. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

Yeah that's nice but something tells me Rey and Finn were the first. Their roles were the only ones whose first initial casting call script was out.