main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond between Poe and Finn

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CosmicDust, Jan 2, 2018.

1. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
  2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    This just proves it they are end game.

oncafar and CosmicDust like this.
  3. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    #NeverForget when Finn and Poe's reunion song was in "Han and Leia"

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  4. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Finn and Poe are really cute together. Even though I like Damerey best, I wouldn't be mad if they went there. Poe totally gives off a Captain Jack vibe to me.

oncafar likes this.
  5. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    There's just something sweet about any time either of them interacts.

CosmicDust, dragonchic and Deerborne like this.
  6. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    If only there was actual bonding via TLJ. The three "leads" are hardly connected.

7. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I never understood that critique of the movie. IMHO it was a brilliant decision to separate them, because as a result for the majority of the movie, Finn, Poe, and Rey are surrounded by people who don't value them as much as they value each other. Moving into IX, even though they haven't known each other for very long, the trio's dynamic is one of mutual respect and love, proven by contrasting their dynamics with other pivotal characters.

Rey and Finn - Rey's time apart from Finn around people like Luke who pushed her away or Kylo who manipulated her reinforces the goodness that Finn's friendship brings to her. He did lie to her in TFA, but it's for sympathetic reasons and he apologizes to her before Rey can even get upset. The only time we really see Rey be happy in TLJ is at the end when she sees that Finn has survived Starkiller Base. Finn's regard for Rey is challenged in this movie since part of his regard for her was driven by guilt for putting her in danger. But his guilt is dealt with, so when he reunites with Rey at the end, there's nothing tainting that moment. He's happy to see her because he's simply happy to see her, nothing less and nothing more.

Rey and Poe - there's foreshadowing to them meeting and teases (like Poe being impressed by her taking out the TIE-fighters), Poe keeps the beacon safe, they say hello with Finn/Poe significance leading up to it. Rey is also the person who found and protected BB-8, and seeing Rey with BB-8 is something that prompts Poe to say hello. They just met and have mutual friends, so it's not as deep yet as Finn/Rey and Finn/Poe, but that's not a bad thing, just realistic. Poe saying that he knows who she is also contradicts Kylo saying she's a nobody who comes from nothing.

Finn and Poe - Like Finn's friendship was reinforced for Rey when she was around Luke and Kylo, the same was done for Poe's friendship with Finn and Finn's friendship with Poe, with the contrasting characters being Rose and Holdo. Poe was the first person Finn went to when he figured out how to destroy the hyperspace tracker. Meanwhile, Holdo never trusted Poe. Finn trusted Poe with his innermost thoughts and concerns (best exemplified through giving Poe the beacon to Rey). Meanwhile, Rose thought he was a lying defector when he tried to explain that he was only leaving to save Rey, and on the Supremacy, we see this animosity continue when Finn points out the escape pods, Rose says, "Of course you know where they are," and Finn is irritated at the jab. Even though the mission was a failure, it was borne out of Poe and Finn's mutual trust and respect for each other.

Also, given Finn's non-reaction to Rose's kiss and the ongoing comparison between Rose and Poe, it makes Finn's physical reactions to Poe in TLJ look like there's something more going on because Finn is more into it. A point of comparison was made. So this bond was definitely not ignored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Were they physically separated? Yes, but that doesn't mean the trio's bond was not deepened. The TLJ proved that they are better together than apart.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  8. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Huh?o_O I thought Finn was in love with Rey.

9. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Poe and Finn are probably the more popular pairing, though.

Still, this friendship has a lot of potential. I feel like post-ST they might actually expand on it.

10. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    Poe and Finn are easily the best Star Wars duo since Han and Chewbacca... And it’s the unique dynamic between these two guys that made them amongst my kids’ favorite characters... =D=

Especially this nice hug after the buddies were separated for the bulk of The Force Awakens! [:D]
    [​IMG]

11. Diminished Comet

Diminished Comet Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 27, 2017
    They are going to have a lot of scenes together in TROS i am sure.

12. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I don't think Finn is in love with anyone. Infatuated maybe with her but love is a pretty strong word for someone he has only been around for a few days. But I prefer the chemistry between Finn and Poe. They are adorable together and the ship that I ship.

13. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    Is it because male friendships are more popular than romances? I think Finn is in love with Rey. Finn has been around with Poe as long as he has been around with Rey. But it seemed pretty obvious to me that he had fallen for Rey, whereas he has developed a close friendship with Poe.

14. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I think the popularity of their pairing involves romance for a lot of people.

15. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    I guess they prefer it over Finn being romantically involved with Rey? I'll never understood why. Finn and Poe have never reminded me of Hugh Culber and Paul Stemets of "Star Trek Discovery".

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  16. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    It's the chemistry from TFA, really. People also have the desire to see a same-sex pairing in a blockbuster film.

I mean, I'm personally a Finn-Rey shipper but Poe and Finn have a bond that really is worth exploring, be it platonically or romantically.

Bor Mullet and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    If Abrams had not allowed Poe to disappear for most of "The Force Awakens" and if Johnson had not sent Finn and Rose off to Canto Bight then perhaps the trilogy could have explored their friendship a lot better.

18. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Possibly, but not that easy.

1, We don't know if both survive TROS.
    2, LFL have certain rules about the timelines so a series directly after TROS might not be on the cards.
    3, If they set it between TLJ and TROS you have the 'Rey' problem.
    4, Both OI and JB are in demand, nailing them down together may be problematical.

19. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    I bet a lot of the fans who hate Rose are Finn-Poe shippers who see her stealing Finn away. A shame. I ship Finn and Rose but I also would love it if Finn and Poe become a thing. Definitely not Finn and Rey though. Actually I don't think I see Rey with anyone yet.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  20. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think Star wars is quite ready for its first gay couple just yet. but bromance is certainly on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  21. The Deuteragonist

Jun 25, 2018
    What certain rules?

And I'm personally rooting for an animated series post-TROS. I don't care how divisive the ST is, it really warrants one.

Do you mean it's not ready because of the writing or because it will receive too much backlash?

22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Abit of both.

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's all about keeping within the boundaries of the movie timeline. They can't have anything that might affect future movie projects before TPM or after TROS. That's why the animated and live action series take place between certain historical points and don't affect the established outcomes of any of the movies. Additionally they have also said they won't recast characters within their movie story arcs. So, no Luke and Leia movies between ANH and ESB for example.

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think luke has to be in the next animated show. Would be nice if it was hamil. But hamil makes it sound like he is finished with the role

25. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I guess some people will be mad about the Zorii/Poe thing that Keri & Oscar hinted at.