main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond between Poe, Finn, and Rey moving forward into IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CosmicDust, Dec 25, 2017.

1. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    They've finally all met! :) How do you think they'll get on in IX?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I hope it solidifies further. I didn't get that closeness from the prequel trilogy between Obi wan, anakin and Padme.

I know ROTS was supposed to make them closer but I felt that some of that was left on the cutting room floor. I'm dying to see the Obi-Wan and Padme deleted scene.

I hope Poe Rey and Finn can be that new holy trinity

3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    well.......rey and poe actually met in TFA......

[​IMG]

whostheBossk and Darkspellmaster like this.
  4. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    But I guess the story group missed that moment in the book. Bad story group

5. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    I think the official statement is that the stuff in movie novelizations are only canon until the movies contradict it, which The Last Jedi did with Poe and Rey meeting.

but regardless -- what are you looking forward to come IX?

6. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I think Poe will be leading the resistance with Rey and Finn as his seconds in command. Maybe something larger for Connix and D'acy.

I see them leading a huge battle against the first order with Rey finishing her training with Luke and redeeming Ben.

I would like to see rose and Finn develop further feelings for each other and fall in love with Rey encouraging him.

I want banter between Poe and rey but not sure if I want to see the deal sealed in the movie. But I want them on an adventure together.

whostheBossk and panki like this.
  7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm not excited about these three. I like the bond between Finn and Poe best, but it was a bit absent in TLJ.

Yora likes this.
  8. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    I hope Rey flies an x-wing and Poe re-establishes the resistance starfighter corps especially once the other fighters who left on missions or scattered after the D'Qar evacuation return like Jess Pava and Snap Wexley .

While Poe can be overall leader helped by D'acy, Rey could become leader of red or blue squadron... Finn could take on a more leadership role in the resistance army since he is excellent at melee combat- Like Han Solo in ROTJ, he could handle the infantry and special forces. I can also see Rose and Connix handle the ground logistics part.

Darkspellmaster and CosmicDust like this.
  9. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I think Rey is going to be too busy being a jedi to be an x-wing pilot.

cerealbox likes this.
  10. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    There was concept art of Rey on an x-wing costume in the art of tfa using her lightsaber...I don't see why they cannot explore the idea in the next movie...she can always train as a Jedi in parallel since she had the books with her.

whostheBossk and Darkspellmaster like this.
  11. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Yea, maybe in the beginning of the movie she could briefly fly an x-wing like Luke did in anh because of a pilot shortage, but I don't think it'll be something she'll do much of in the movie because there's limited time left and she's the last jedi.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  12. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    But that's the point. Or one of them.
    There was no reason - IMO - to put in TLJ an introducing scene. If there wasn't, it could have been an easy take away that they've met and introduced one another offscreen and nothing in the contuinity TFA-TLJ would have changed.
    If you do that, perhaps, you do it because you have a good reason.
    And it gets even more weird, because we now know that the meeting scene in TFA was filmed but cut, the one we see in TLJ looks alike that. The main difference is that it is shorter and the main resault of being shorter is that it emphatizes the "I Know" line. Let's say it was simply postponed. But why? That's the question. Only to let the fan see that moment (knowing that will compromize the continuity) or because it must happen and that point because it is important if tied with their story arcs, that some of us think are mirroring one another?

13. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    Maybe you will be right...but I think she can balance both duties....Jedi padawans used to balance Jedi training and fighting battles during the clone Wars (Caleb Dume and Ahsoka) ... I think Rey is capable of doing the same.

14. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    What are the mirroring theories? That sounds so neat.

I agree that having them meet and going through the effort of perfecting that one scene must be significant. Part of it I think because they're both good friends with Finn and BB-8, but there were little moments like Poe jolting awake during Rey's torture. It feels like foreshadowing to something. The meeting could have easily been fanservice, but the writing earned that meeting.

I wonder if it involves Shara Bey at all. Poe's mother features a lot in his EU. After getting to know him through the EU, it doesn't completely feel like Poe Dameron unless he's mentioned her somehow. That ring isn't enough. :p

Darkspellmaster and panki like this.
  15. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    @CosmicDust we addressed that issue of the mirroring arcs in the previous pages. Sorry but I can't past and copy easely from my mobile. If you wish take a look. Another Point of view may only be welcomed.

CosmicDust likes this.
  16. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  17. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    That Rey concept art was developed before "John Doe" aka Poe developed into a X-wing pilot lot for the story.

18. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    I don't think so. John Doe (Poe) art appears in March 2013 while Rey in an x-wing suit appeared after April 2013, at least a month later. Again, I am not saying this is confirmation that Rey will fly an x-wing...I am saying this is something I hope they explore.

19. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

I dunno what you're trying to say.

20. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    For the three heroes (and Kylo), take a look at their trailer opening statements from TFA to where they are now. (In Poe case, look at the open ring crawl)

Rey: "I'm no one". Well, we is no one in the strictest sense. But she also knows that the Force awakened in her and she is now the last Jedi.

Finn: "I was raised to do one thing. But I've got nothing to fight for." Well he certainly has something to fight for now with his friends and the Resistance overall.

Poe: was sent by Leia to get the map to Luke Skywalker. In TFA, his droid and his new allies along with Han completed mission. Poe didn't have an arc in TFA which is why TLJ gave him one.

Kylo: "Nothing will stand in our way. I will finish what you started." Well, he killed Snoke and is now the surpreme emperor grand poohbah. Something that Vader never got to do.

So now that the four main characters have moved beyond their original character arcs. I look forward just to see them interact and the momentum from that.

21. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Grand poobah. That is perfect. Now i'm picturing him with a Fez. Just like Grunkle Stan.

cerealbox likes this.
  22. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    Grand Poobah lol...I could not resist. :p

[​IMG]

Darkspellmaster and Darth Smurf like this.
  23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Those three along with Rose and Chewie will be a 5 man band in Episode IX. (The trope, not a real band)

Heroine: Rey
    The Lancer: Finn
    The Face, leader: Poe
    The big guy: still Chewie
    The smart guy: Rose

Team pet: BB-8

Note: this is just for basis, not for 1 dimensional shoe-ins

24. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    It just struck me that the new characters are from diverse humble backgrounds.

Rey - scavenger,
    Poe - farm boy,
    Finn - kidnapped child soldier,
    Rose - bonded labour in mines,
    Broom boy and friends - stable help.

I really love the idea of the force (I'm not saying everyone is force sensitive here) bringing these diverse characters together to help one another and reach their full potential as heroes.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  25. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    @panki Agreed. I love stories of people who come from nothing and make something of themselves. Despite the meager or crappy situations they begin in, they make the right choices, they don’t make excuses, and work hard to earn their place in the world.

I wish that was celebrated more and hope to see this group working together as a team.